how to edit .wsgi file extebtions with IDLE on windows

gert

Aug 28, 2009, 2:31:31 PM8/28/09
I can't figure out how to enable the .py shell and syntax highlighting
for .wsgi file extensions using IDLE for windows ?

Gabriel Genellina

Aug 29, 2009, 12:43:09 AM8/29/09
to pytho...@python.org
En Fri, 28 Aug 2009 15:31:31 -0300, gert <gert.c...@gmail.com> escribi�:

> I can't figure out how to enable the .py shell and syntax highlighting
> for .wsgi file extensions using IDLE for windows ?

That's a Windows question, not a Python one. You have to associate the
.wsgi extension with the Python.File file type (the one used for .py
files):

D:\USERDATA\Gabriel>assoc .py
.py=Python.File

D:\USERDATA\Gabriel>assoc .wsgi=Python.File
.wsgi=Python.File

--
Gabriel Genellina

gert

Aug 29, 2009, 8:40:29 AM8/29/09
On Aug 29, 6:43 am, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-...@yahoo.com.ar>
wrote:

> En Fri, 28 Aug 2009 15:31:31 -0300, gert <gert.cuyk...@gmail.com> escribió:
>
> > I can't figure out how to enable the .py shell and syntax highlighting
> > for .wsgi file extensions using IDLE for windows ?
>
> That's a Windows question, not a Python one. You have to associate the
> .wsgi extension with the Python.File file type (the one used for .py
> files):
>
> D:\USERDATA\Gabriel>assoc .py
> .py=Python.File
>
> D:\USERDATA\Gabriel>assoc .wsgi=Python.File
> .wsgi=Python.File

Thanks that does make it open exactly like a .py file, expect that
there is no syntax highlighting. Don't know if this is also a windows
issue or a IDLE issue ?

Chris Rebert

Aug 29, 2009, 3:31:39 PM8/29/09
to gert, pytho...@python.org

That's an IDLE issue; it only highlights files with .py (and possibly
.pyw) extensions.

Cheers,
Chris
--
http://blog.rebertia.com

gert

Aug 29, 2009, 4:14:14 PM8/29/09
On Aug 29, 9:31 pm, Chris Rebert <c...@rebertia.com> wrote:

Any chance they would make a highlight option in the menu ?

Gabriel Genellina

Aug 29, 2009, 5:16:02 PM8/29/09
to pytho...@python.org
En Sat, 29 Aug 2009 17:14:14 -0300, gert <gert.c...@gmail.com> escribiᅵ:

> On Aug 29, 9:31ï¿œpm, Chris Rebert <c...@rebertia.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 5:40 AM, gert<gert.cuyk...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> escribiᅵ:

>> highlighting

>> the

>> > Thanks that does make it open exactly like a .py file, expect that
>> > there is no syntax highlighting. Don't know if this is also a windows
>> > issue or a IDLE issue ?
>>
>> That's an IDLE issue; it only highlights files with .py (and possibly
>> .pyw) extensions.
>>

> Any chance they would make a highlight option in the menu ?

Two alternatives:

a) Ensure your scripts contain a shebang - no purpose on Windows, but IDLE
recognizes the file as a Python file. That is, make sure the very first
line is like this:

#!c:\python26\python.exe

(it must start with #! and contain the word "python" somewhere)

b) Edit IDLE sources:

- Locate the file EditorWindow.py in the idlelib package.

- Add this line near the top:
import _winreg

- Modify function ispythonsource near line 580 as follows:

def ispythonsource(self, filename):
if not filename or os.path.isdir(filename):
return True
base, ext = os.path.splitext(os.path.basename(filename))
if os.path.normcase(ext) in (".py", ".pyw"):
return True
### add these 4 lines ###
with _winreg.OpenKey(_winreg.HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, ext) as key:
ftype = _winreg.QueryValueEx(key, None)[0]
if ftype.lower() in ("python.file","python.noconfile"):
return True
### end ###
try:
f = open(filename)
line = f.readline()
f.close()
except IOError:
return False
return line.startswith('#!') and line.find('python') >= 0

--
Gabriel Genellina

gert

Aug 29, 2009, 7:29:43 PM8/29/09
On Aug 29, 11:16 pm, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-...@yahoo.com.ar>
wrote:
> En Sat, 29 Aug 2009 17:14:14 -0300, gert <gert.cuyk...@gmail.com> escribió:

> >> escribió:

Thanks. Can you make a ispythonsource menu option in the next
python3.x release? There are many examples of txt, xml or wsgi files
having python parts in them.

Gabriel Genellina

Sep 4, 2009, 12:07:03 AM9/4/09
to pytho...@python.org
En Sat, 29 Aug 2009 20:29:43 -0300, gert <gert.c...@gmail.com> escribiᅵ:
> On Aug 29, 11:16ï¿œpm, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-...@yahoo.com.ar>

> wrote:
>> En Sat, 29 Aug 2009 17:14:14 -0300, gert <gert.cuyk...@gmail.com>
>> escribiᅵ:

> Thanks. Can you make a ispythonsource menu option in the next

> python3.x release? There are many examples of txt, xml or wsgi files
> having python parts in them.

Please file a feature request at http://bugs.python.org/
I think a "This is a python file, apply syntax highlighting" menu option
is feasible, but doing the same only for part of a file is a lot harder.

--
Gabriel Genellina

gert

Sep 7, 2009, 7:11:50 PM9/7/09
On Sep 4, 6:07 am, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-...@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> En Sat, 29 Aug 2009 20:29:43 -0300, gert <gert.cuyk...@gmail.com> escribió:
>

> > On Aug 29, 11:16 pm, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-...@yahoo.com.ar>

> > wrote:

> > Thanks. Can you make a ispythonsource menu option in the next
> > python3.x release? There are many examples of txt, xml or wsgi files
> > having python parts in them.
>
> Please file a feature request athttp://bugs.python.org/

> I think a "This is a python file, apply syntax highlighting" menu option
> is feasible, but doing the same only for part of a file is a lot harder.

http://bugs.python.org/issue6858

does not matter its trival to see which part is python