pyhon 2.5.1 build fails

Robin Becker

Jun 4, 2007, 7:58:30 AM6/4/07
to pytho...@python.org
I am getting an error while building python-2.5.1 on a freebsd 6.1 machine as a
normal user

./configure --prefix=/home/me/mypython --enable-unicode=ucs2

seems to work fine, but make install fails whilst running

Compiling
/home/my/mypython/lib/python2.5/test/test_module.py ...
Compiling /home/me/mypython/lib/python2.5/test/test_multibytecodec.py ...
Sorry: UnicodeError: ("\\N escapes not supported (can't load unicodedata module)",)
Compiling /home/me/mypython/lib/python2.5/test/test_multibytecodec_support.py ...

I see there was a bug reported about this
http://www.mail-archive.com/python-b...@python.org/msg09544.html

but I didn't really understand what the resolution was. I do not have any
special PYTHONHOME or PYTHONPATH set. The install partially works and I have a
running python without the unicodedata module. Looking in Modules I don't see
any unicodedata.o so I guess it's not being built for some reason.
--
Robin Becker

Robin Becker

Jun 4, 2007, 8:22:48 AM6/4/07
to pytho...@python.org
well regardless of the resolution of the so called bug, my fis is to edit
Modules/Setup.dist and uncomment line 180 beginning #unicodedata then the test
don't fail halfway through and things get built properly.

Strangely I thought that all this was supposed to be handled automatically now.
--
Robin Becker