Python and Finance talks at next Python conference

1 view

Andy Robinson

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
I'm hoping to get a few talks and sessions together relating to use of
Python in finance at the next Python conference.
It is apparent that a number of investment banks are using Python with
some success; this is a very high-profile use of Python and good
marketing for us. There is also a great deal of potential for
crossover between the scientific and financial communities.

Hadar Pedhazur, a major Python user on Wall Street and now the venture
capitalist behind Digital Creations, is willing to give a talk and to
chair a panel. His reputation alone is enough for us to be taken
seriously http://www.verticality.com/Bios/Hadar

For this to happen, we need a few people to submit papers by the
September 30th deadline, and to come up with some concrete proposals
for panels and other types of sessions. Please reply to this post, or
drop me a line ASAP if you think you might have something to talk
about, whether as a formal paper or part of some other activities.

This is not limited to trading-floor activities - I am sure any kind
of business simulations, accounting or other back office use would be
very interesting to hear about.

Regards,

Andy Robinson
Robinson Analytics.

p.s. This is a private initiative and not an official goal of the
organisers.

pyr...@my-deja.com

Sep 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/21/99
In article <37e10f3...@news.demon.co.uk>,

an...@robanal.demon.co.uk (Andy Robinson) wrote:
> I'm hoping to get a few talks and sessions together relating to use
of
> Python in finance at the next Python conference.
> For this to happen, we need a few people to submit papers by the
> September 30th deadline, and to come up with some concrete proposals
> for panels and other types of sessions. Please reply to this post,
or
> drop me a line ASAP if you think you might have something to talk
> about, whether as a formal paper or part of some other activities.

That is quite interesting. I've written a web-based general ledger
accounting system using Python, Fnorb and mxODBC and was considering
submitted a paper (which I've never done) but I'm not sure there is
time before the Sept 30th deadline. I'm also a bit unsure which
portions of the software would be of interest. I may just do it as
a Poster submission and talk with interested parties that way.

However, I am deeply interested in anything connecting finance and
Python and would like to find some way to contribute to making this
topic a success.

-Jeff Rush

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Robin Becker

Sep 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/21/99
In article <7s6hve$aa5$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, pyr...@my-deja.com writes
I'm in the process of finalising a Zope Web App written in
Python/NumPy+some C. It does something called Generational Accounting
and is used by some as an aid to the analysis of Government spending.
--
Robin Becker

Andy Robinson

Sep 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/21/99
Robin Becker <ro...@jessikat.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>>Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
>I'm in the process of finalising a Zope Web App written in
>Python/NumPy+some C. It does something called Generational Accounting
>and is used by some as an aid to the analysis of Government spending.

interested, go over to egroups and sign up!

Thanks,

Andy