ANN: Leo 4.1 beta 1 An outlining editor

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Edward K. Ream

unread,
Nov 7, 2003, 10:45:12 AM11/7/03
to
Leo 4.1 beta 1 is now available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/

This is the first official release of the reorganized 4.1 code base. The
code appears solid, and has not been widely tested. Please use caution when
using this code.

N.B. By default Leo 4.1 creates .leo files that can not be read by older
versions of Leo. Please read the following carefully.

Highlights of 4.1 beta 1:
------------------------

* Leo 4.1 includes several new commands:
- script-based find/change commands: very powerful and flexible.
- Hoist & DeHoist commands for viewing parts of an outline.
- Check Outline command finds user clone mistakes.
* New configuration settings:
- use_gnx specifies whether .leo files use integers as indices:
use_gnx = 0 makes .leo files compatible with previous versions of Leo.
use_gnx = 1 makes .leo files cvs-friendly
- config_encoding specifies the encoding of leoConfig.txt.
* Several significant code-level changes:
- The 4.1 code base has been reorganized to support gui plugins.
An example wx_gui plugin is partly functional.
- Created a flexible framework for creating & running regression tests.
This framework takes full advantage of outlines to organize tests.
- app.forceShutdown now works when called from plugins.
- Fixed several long-standing bugs. More fixes are coming.

What is Leo?
------------
- A programmer's editor, an outlining editor and a flexible browser.
- A literate programming tool, compatible with noweb and CWEB.
- A data organizer and project manager. Leo provides multiple views
of projects within a single outline.
- Fully scriptable using Python. Leo saves its files in XML format.
- Portable. leo.py is 100% pure Python.
- Open Software, distributed under the Python License.

Leo requires Python 2.1 or above and tcl/tk 8.3 or above.
Leo works on Linux, Windows and MacOs X.

Links:
------
Leo: http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html
Home: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/
Download: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3458
CVS: http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=3458
Wiki: http://leo.hd1.org/

Edward K. Ream
November 7, 2003
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Edward K. Ream email: edre...@charter.net
Leo: Literate Editor with Outlines
Leo: http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------


Jegenye 2001 Bt

unread,
Nov 8, 2003, 7:02:33 AM11/8/03
to
Leo is a killer Python application! I wholeheartedly recommend it to
everyone.
Now Leo gives hope I will be able to clean up a daunting piece of mess, a
rather complex hack-work.
Thanks, Edward! :)

Best,
Miklós
--
PRISZNYÁK Miklós
---
Jegenye 2001 Bt. ( mailto:jegen...@parkhosting.com )
Egyedi szoftverkészítés, tanácsadás
Custom software development, consulting
http://jegenye2001.parkhosting.com

Edward K. Ream

unread,
Nov 8, 2003, 8:08:28 AM11/8/03
to
Leo 4.1 beta 1 does not work on most (all?) Linux systems: "mbcs" is not a
valid encoding on Linux.

Leo 4.1 beta 2 corrects this problem. You may download beta 2 from

Download: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3458

Edward

Edward K. Ream

unread,
Nov 8, 2003, 8:10:47 AM11/8/03
to
> Leo is a killer Python application!

Thanks for these kind words :-) Working on Leo is one of the great joys of
my life.

Edward

Tim Churches

unread,
Nov 8, 2003, 4:28:50 PM11/8/03
to Edward K. Ream, pytho...@python.org
On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 02:45, Edward K. Ream wrote:
> Leo 4.1 beta 1 is now available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/
>
> This is the first official release of the reorganized 4.1 code base. The
> code appears solid, and has not been widely tested. Please use caution when
> using this code.

A small request: please don't use spaces in directory or files names in
your Leo distribution - use dashes or underscores if you need a
separator. Spaces annoy the hell out of anyone using a command line
interface.

Otherwise Leo looks great.

--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0


signature.asc

Edward K. Ream

unread,
Nov 8, 2003, 6:45:37 PM11/8/03
to
My reader didn't give me the text of your message or the attachment. There
are definite problems with 4.1 beta 1 on Linux. Please send me your bug
reports at the email address below. Thanks, and my apologies for these
problems.

Edward

Tim Churches

unread,
Nov 8, 2003, 7:59:13 PM11/8/03
to Edward K. Ream, pytho...@python.org

I think this may relate to my reply, which is reproduced below. I did
send it to your address but received an automated reply asking me to
visit a Web page, register there and then give three good reasons why my
message should be forwarded to you. You have to be joking if you expect
anyone to bother doing that!

> A small request: please don't use spaces in directory or filenames


> in your Leo distribution - use dashes or underscores if you need a
> separator. Spaces annoy the hell out of anyone using a command line
> interface.

--

signature.asc

David Konerding

unread,
Nov 8, 2003, 9:04:49 PM11/8/03
to
In article <mailman.573.1068327...@python.org>, Tim Churches wrote:
>
> --=-ay9WZH8rLWdKtLGxycO8
> Content-Type: text/plain
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

>
> On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 02:45, Edward K. Ream wrote:
>> Leo 4.1 beta 1 is now available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/
>>=20

>> This is the first official release of the reorganized 4.1 code base. The
>> code appears solid, and has not been widely tested. Please use caution w=

> hen
>> using this code.
>
> A small request: please don't use spaces in directory or files names in
> your Leo distribution - use dashes or underscores if you need a
> separator. Spaces annoy the hell out of anyone using a command line
> interface.

Not me... whenever I try to TAB-complete in bash and the matching file has spaces it just adds the quotes or the \
as necessary.

Dave

Edward K. Ream

unread,
Nov 9, 2003, 9:24:02 AM11/9/03
to
> > A small request: please don't use spaces in directory or files names in
> > your Leo distribution - use dashes or underscores if you need a
> > separator. Spaces annoy the hell out of anyone using a command line
> > interface.

Yes, I do see spaces in the top-level directory of the zip files. I'm not
sure where that name gets generated in the install script: I'll see if I
can eliminate the spaces in future releases.

Edward

JanC

unread,
Nov 10, 2003, 1:02:33 AM11/10/03
to
Tim Churches <tc...@optushome.com.au> schreef:

> I think this may relate to my reply, which is reproduced below. I did
> send it to your address but received an automated reply asking me to
> visit a Web page, register there and then give three good reasons why my
> message should be forwarded to you. You have to be joking if you expect
> anyone to bother doing that!
>
>> A small request: please don't use spaces in directory or filenames
>> in your Leo distribution - use dashes or underscores if you need a
>> separator. Spaces annoy the hell out of anyone using a command line
>> interface.
>
> --
>
> Tim C

Quoted your reply in plain text.
OE has problems with the pgp-signature attachment you use...


BTW: most people don't like attachments in text newsgroups, and the mailing
list is gatewayed to comp.lang.python ...

--
JanC

"Be strict when sending and tolerant when receiving."
RFC 1958 - Architectural Principles of the Internet - section 3.9

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages