Distributed Python

Jay O'Connor

Jul 23, 2002, 7:49:41 PM7/23/02
A while back, as part of a code sample I submitted for a job, I developed
a basic framework for distributed Python. This is a tool that allows one
Python application to communicate with another, whether on the same
machine or on remote machine(s)

Being that it was just a sample, I never fully fleshed it out. I've been
contemplating developing it further but first I was wondering if such a
tool would be of interest to anyone else

--
Jay O'Connor
joco...@cybermesa.com

Lars von Wedel

Jul 24, 2002, 9:02:04 AM7/24/02

Hi Jay,

Sure, there's many applications using distributed functionality.
However, you should consider that technologies like CORBA or
Web Services have similar goals, so check out these before
duplicating work!

omniORB (http://omniorb.sourceforge.net) and fnorb (don't know where)
are CORBA implementations with Python support. For web services in
Python, have a look at http://pywebsvcs.sourceforge.net/

Lars

vonWedel.vcf

Martin v. Löwis

Jul 24, 2002, 9:11:40 AM7/24/02
Lars von Wedel <vonW...@lfpt.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> Sure, there's many applications using distributed functionality.
> However, you should consider that technologies like CORBA or
> Web Services have similar goals, so check out these before
> duplicating work!
>
> omniORB (http://omniorb.sourceforge.net) and fnorb (don't know where)
> are CORBA implementations with Python support. For web services in
> Python, have a look at http://pywebsvcs.sourceforge.net/

In addition, a number of Python-specific frameworks for that have been
developed over time as well; one of the oldest of those is Dopy
(http://www.users.cloud9.net/~proteus/dopy/welcome.html).

Regards,
Martin

Jay O'Connor

Jul 23, 2002, 8:17:14 PM7/23/02
"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

That was my other thought., wondering if someone else had already done
what I was toying with. It appears so :)

Maciej Sobczak

Jul 24, 2002, 10:15:40 AM7/24/02

"Jay O'Connor" <joco...@cybermesa.com> wrote in message

> A while back, as part of a code sample I submitted for a job, I developed
> a basic framework for distributed Python. This is a tool that allows one
> Python application to communicate with another, whether on the same
> machine or on remote machine(s)
>
> Being that it was just a sample, I never fully fleshed it out. I've been
> contemplating developing it further but first I was wondering if such a
> tool would be of interest to anyone else

In addition to CORBA, you can also check out:

http://www.maciejsobczak.com/prog/yami/

You can also go directly to the Python section:
http://www.maciejsobczak.com/prog/yami/impl/index.html#python

The advantage of this infrastructure is that it is really light.
It allows you to write distributed apps not only in Python, but also in C,
C++ and Tcl.

Cheers,

--
Maciej Sobczak
http://www.maciejsobczak.com/

Chris Liechti

Jul 24, 2002, 12:33:35 PM7/24/02
"Jay O'Connor" <joco...@cybermesa.com> wrote in

> A while back, as part of a code sample I submitted for a job, I developed
> a basic framework for distributed Python. This is a tool that allows one
> Python application to communicate with another, whether on the same
> machine or on remote machine(s)
>
> Being that it was just a sample, I never fully fleshed it out. I've been
> contemplating developing it further but first I was wondering if such a
> tool would be of interest to anyone else

http://pyro.sf.net was not yet mentioned :-)

chris

--
Chris <clie...@gmx.net>

Ville Vainio

Jul 25, 2002, 6:49:25 AM7/25/02
Jay O'Connor <joco...@cybermesa.com> wrote in message news:<3D3DF209...@cybermesa.com>...

> That was my other thought., wondering if someone else had already done
> what I was toying with. It appears so :)

Yes, almost everybody starts to think about implementing a distributed
objects scheme when playing with python. It's so easy and fun, and
things like introspection practically force one to reinvent the wheel
;-).

It would appear that the sensible thing to do is to go the CORBA way,
which is tried, true, *easy* (controversy on this issue mainly
concerns non-python bindings) and interoperable (and fast, at least
with omniORBpy that I've tried).

-- Ville

Fearless Freep

Jul 25, 2002, 11:53:05 AM7/25/02
vva...@tp.spt.fi (Ville Vainio) wrote in message news:<ad496f8.02072...@posting.google.com>...

Well, my main motivation was that I'm going to be leaving my job and I
was casting about for things to do. I remembered this code and was
wondering if it would be worth finishing it up, either for sale or as
a demo/example for prospective hirers.

Take care,
Jay
http://www.r4h.org/r4hsoftware

Irmen de Jong

Jul 25, 2002, 5:39:10 PM7/25/02
Chris Liechti wrote:

> http://pyro.sf.net was not yet mentioned :-)

It's nice somebody did before I found out about this thread ;-)

Irmen de Jong

Andrae Muys

Jul 25, 2002, 10:04:26 PM7/25/02
Lars von Wedel <vonW...@lfpt.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in message news:<3D3EA54C...@lfpt.rwth-aachen.de>...

> Hi Jay,
>
> Sure, there's many applications using distributed functionality.
> However, you should consider that technologies like CORBA or
> Web Services have similar goals, so check out these before
> duplicating work!
>
> omniORB (http://omniorb.sourceforge.net) and fnorb (don't know where)
> are CORBA implementations with Python support.

Fnorb can be found at http://www.fnorb.org of course ;). Fnorb's been
opensourced, and now also lives at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fnorb.

Andrae Muys