Pythonware Website???? Gone on vacation with Starship? ;-))

Oliver Andrich

Apr 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/19/00
to pytho...@python.org
Hi,

I can't access the www.pythonware.com webpages since yesterday evening. Does
someelse also have the problems or is it just me?

Bye, Oliver

Fredrik Lundh

Apr 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/19/00
Oliver Andrich <o...@rz-online.net> wrote:
> I can't access the www.pythonware.com webpages since yesterday
> evening. Does someelse also have the problems or is it just me?

quoting the daily python URL (http://hem.passagen.se/eff/url.htm):

www.pythonware.com is down

the reason appears to be hardware problems on
the ISP site. this also affects mail traffic to (but
not from) the pythonware.com and secretlabs.com
domains. our ISP is working on this, and expect to
have the site back online within a few hours.

urgent mail can be sent to this address.

</F>

Warren Postma

Apr 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/19/00
I'm getting an error 403:

http://www.algonet.se/error_403.html

Forbidden
... snip...

Andrew M. Kuchling

Apr 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/19/00
"Fredrik Lundh" <eff...@telia.com> writes:
> www.pythonware.com is down
> the reason appears to be hardware problems on
> the ISP site. ...

First Zope.org (down because an Ethernet cable got pulled out), then
Starship (disk crash), now pythonware.com. Has someone released evil
whitespace-eating nanobots that also attack computer hardware?

--amk

Ivan Van Laningham

Apr 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/19/00
to Python Mailing List
Hi All--

This version eats dots ("."). It makes nameservers forget things, like
my domain, pauahtun.org;-(

<time-to-take-out-alien-abduction-insurance>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
http://www.pauahtun.org
Army Signal Corps: Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author: Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours

Carey Evans

Apr 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/20/00
akuc...@mems-exchange.org (Andrew M. Kuchling) writes:

> First Zope.org (down because an Ethernet cable got pulled out), then
> Starship (disk crash), now pythonware.com. Has someone released evil
> whitespace-eating nanobots that also attack computer hardware?

From my perspective, the problem's obvious.

Debian is going to release version 2.2 sometime soon. We've had most
of the usual symptoms (new version of XFree86 released, new version of
Apache released, even a new version of Perl); but we're still waiting
for the requisite disk crash on master.debian.org.

Obviously when Guido announced that 1.6's release schedule was being
changed, he jinxed all the Python machines with the same problem
Debian has.

--
Carey Evans http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/c.evans/

"I can't believe it's not Cthulhu!"

Fredrik Lundh

Apr 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/20/00
quoting the daily python URL (http://hem.passagen.se/eff/url.htm):

our ISP's file servers are down. this affects the web site as
well as mail traffic to (but not from) the pythonware.com and
secretlabs.com domains.

our ISP is working on it, but the best they can say at this
moment is "we'll get back to you when we know more"...

if the problem persists, we'll mirror the most important stuff on other
sites. see the daily URL page for pointers and more status updates.

and as before, urgent mail can be sent to eff...@telia.com

</F>

Martijn Faassen

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00
Andrew M. Kuchling <akuc...@mems-exchange.org> wrote:
> "Fredrik Lundh" <eff...@telia.com> writes:
>> www.pythonware.com is down
>> the reason appears to be hardware problems on
>> the ISP site. ...

> First Zope.org (down because an Ethernet cable got pulled out), then

> Starship (disk crash), now pythonware.com. Has someone released evil
> whitespace-eating nanobots that also attack computer hardware?

It also happened to www.happypenguin.org, but that was all a plot by
sourceforge to take it over. Since the PSU is bigger than the sourceforge
conspiracy, that couldn't happen to us. Also, since the PSU has access to
Guido's time machine and didn't prevent this, the PSU must be in on this.
Perhaps they're testing those samples of whitespace-eating nanoviruses that
they got from that UFO crash near Roswell back in the 50s.

Paranoid-ly yours,

Martijn

Gordon McMillan

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00
to Martijn Faassen, pytho...@python.org
Martijn Faassen wrote:

> .... Also, since the PSU has access to

> Guido's time machine and didn't prevent this, the PSU must be in on this.
> Perhaps they're testing those samples of whitespace-eating nanoviruses that
> they got from that UFO crash near Roswell back in the 50s.

Oh you silly boy. They're not alien. They simply used the time
machine to bring back samples from the future.

if-i-told-you-how-i-knew-i'd-have-to-kill-you-ly y'rs

- Gordon

Martijn Faassen

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00
Gordon McMillan <gm...@hypernet.com> wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:

>> .... Also, since the PSU has access to
>> Guido's time machine and didn't prevent this, the PSU must be in on this.
>> Perhaps they're testing those samples of whitespace-eating nanoviruses that
>> they got from that UFO crash near Roswell back in the 50s.

(oops, it was 1947, not the 50s)

> Oh you silly boy. They're not alien. They simply used the time
> machine to bring back samples from the future.

> if-i-told-you-how-i-knew-i'd-have-to-kill-you-ly y'rs

[Roswell, New Mexico, July 1947]

Gordon McMillan stood in the desert, looking sadly at the remains of Guido's
time machine.

"Guido won't like this," a slightly metallic voice said behind him.

"Um... no," Gordon said. "I guess he won't."

"Perhaps it wasn't a good idea after all to go back to the time of the
Roswell crash," the voice persisted.

Gordon turned to the bot. "But I wanted to *know*. It might have helped us
during the invasion in 2010. I wanted to know once and for all what had
happened here."

"And now you do! Hehehehe-ly." The bot pronounced its chuckling.

Behind them they heard the sound of a car. They both stood to watch the car
approach from a cloud of dust. "Tim!" Gordon said. "Go invisible, quickly!"

Mumbling to itself, the bot faded into thin air.

The car stopped, and a man came out. He stood staring at the wrecked time
machine for a moment, then looked at Gordon, open-mouthed.

"W-what is that?" the man asked. "One of them f-flying saucers?"

"Um," Gordon said, and gathered his mind. He flashed the PSU badge he
was always carrying. "Weather balloon. I'm with the weather bureau."

The man looked dubious, staring at the wreckage of the time machine.

The timbot became visible again after the man had left. "I don't think
you convinced him," it said.

"We'd better go in hiding for a while," Gordon said.

"For some decades, at least. It will be a long time before technology
develops far enough for us to build a new time machine. The blueprints
I have call for a Perl interpreter, for instance. We need spacetime
convolution regexes."

"Maybe we can help things move forward a bit, then."

"And we'd better hide the nanovirus samples as well. They're too dangerous,"
the timbot said.

"At least we'll have some time to analyze them now. I still don't think
they're alien."

"I think they are," the timbot said.

Arguing, they walked off into the sunset.

Decades passed while Gordon and the timbot did their work. The timbot sent
off some surreptitious messages to various people. John McCarthy got a
few hints on recursion. Bill Gates was funded by an anonymous investor.
(so, they needed the money! what?!) Larry Wall received a pamphlet
on postmodern linguistic analysis. And one christmas, Guido van Rossum
received a thick envelope containing the complete plans for a working time
machine.

Do-you-have-to-kill-me-now?-ly yours,

Ivan Van Laningham

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00
to Python Mailing List
Hola, Listeros--

Martijn Faassen wrote:

[snip]

> Gordon McMillan stood in the desert, looking sadly at the remains of Guido's
> time machine.

[more rabid snippery]

> Decades passed while Gordon and the timbot did their work. The timbot sent
> off some surreptitious messages to various people. John McCarthy got a
> few hints on recursion. Bill Gates was funded by an anonymous investor.
> (so, they needed the money! what?!) Larry Wall received a pamphlet
> on postmodern linguistic analysis. And one christmas, Guido van Rossum
> received a thick envelope containing the complete plans for a working time
> machine.
>
> Do-you-have-to-kill-me-now?-ly yours,
>
> Martijn

*Only* if you give away the story of where the Mayans got their X
terminals!

<god-9-is-watching-you-very-carefully,-martijn>-ly y'rs,
Ivan;-)

Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.

http://www.pauahtun.org and

Juergen A. Erhard

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
to m.fa...@vet.uu.nl

Gordon McMillan

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Gordon McMillan <gm...@hypernet.com> wrote:
> > Martijn Faassen wrote:
>

> >> .... Also, since the PSU has access to

[snip]

Why hello Martijn! It's amazing that you have the exact same
name as another c.l.py poster - one we all remember fondly.

- Gordon