pyinstaller: icon not visable on desktop?

Ulli Horlacher

Nov 23, 2021, 3:44:21 PM11/23/21
When I compile a python program with pyinstaller, I get an executable:

pyinstaller --onefile --icon fex.ico fextasy.py

But the executables icon is only visable within the windows file browser,
not on the desktop:

https://fex.flupp.org/fop/V2ioMZcl/X-20211123213712.png

There is only the default pyinstaller icon.

Why?

--
Ullrich Horlacher Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum TIK

nospa...@efbe.prima.de

Nov 24, 2021, 3:41:04 AM11/24/21
Am 23.11.21 um 21:44 schrieb Ulli Horlacher:
> When I compile a python program with pyinstaller, I get an executable:
>
> pyinstaller --onefile --icon fex.ico fextasy.py
>
> But the executables icon is only visable within the windows file browser,
> not on the desktop:
>
> https://fex.flupp.org/fop/V2ioMZcl/X-20211123213712.png

I had to postprocess the exe with resourcehacker freeware:
http://angusj.com/resourcehacker/

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Resource Hacker\ResourceHacker.exe" -open
skydiaA.exe -save skydia.exe -action addskip -res Mainicon.ico -mask
ICONGROUP,MAINICON,

creates skydia.exe with the "wish icon".
skydiaA.exe has the default icon.

HTH
Frank

Calvin Spealman

Nov 24, 2021, 9:52:28 AM11/24/21
What version of Windows is this on? That's probably going to be a useful
bit of information, because there could be differences there to how EXE
icons are handled.
> --

CALVIN SPEALMAN

SENIOR QUALITY ENGINEER

calvin....@redhat.com M: +1.336.210.5107
[image: https://red.ht/sig] <https://red.ht/sig>
TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. <https://redhat.com/trusted>

Ulli Horlacher

Nov 24, 2021, 2:17:44 PM11/24/21
Calvin Spealman <cspe...@redhat.com> wrote:
> What version of Windows is this on? That's probably going to be a useful
> bit of information, because there could be differences there to how EXE
> icons are handled.
>
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 4:18 PM Ulli Horlacher <
> fram...@rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
>
> > When I compile a python program with pyinstaller, I get an executable:
> >
> > pyinstaller --onefile --icon fex.ico fextasy.py
> >
> > But the executables icon is only visable within the windows file browser,
> > not on the desktop:
> >
> > https://fex.flupp.org/fop/V2ioMZcl/X-20211123213712.png

Python says: Windows 10.0.19041