[Python-announce] attrs 22.1.0

Hynek Schlawack

Jul 28, 2022, 10:12:58 AM7/28/22
I’m happy to announce a new release of attrs!

attrs is the direct ancestor of – and the inspiration for – dataclasses in the standard library and remains the more powerful toolkit for creating regular classes without getting bogged down with writing repetitive boilerplate code: <https://www.attrs.org/>

My heartfelt thanks go to:

- My generous GitHub sponsors <https://github.com/sponsors/hynek>,
- and people who buy me coffees on <https://ko-fi.com/the_hynek>!

❤️ That's the support that made me maintain attrs since 2015 with no end in sight! ❤️

(alternatively, see <https://github.com/python-attrs/attrs/releases> for a richer-formatted version of the following)

Highlights

The main features of this release are:

- The departure of Python 2.7 (enjoy your retirement!),
- and the arrival of Python 3.11.

We had loftier goals feature-wise, but didn't want to block others embracing Python 3.11.

Full Changelog

Backwards-incompatible Changes

- Python 2.7 is not supported anymore.

Dealing with Python 2.7 tooling has become too difficult for a volunteer-run project.

We have supported Python 2 more than 2 years after it was officially discontinued and feel that we have paid our dues. All version up to 21.4.0 from December 2021 remain fully functional, of course. #936

- The deprecated cmp attribute of attrs.Attribute has been removed. This does not affect the cmp argument to attr.s that can be used as a shortcut to set eq and order at the same time. #939

Changes

- Instantiation of frozen slotted classes is now faster. #898
- If an eq key is defined, it is also used before hashing the attribute. #909
- Added attrs.validators.min_len(). #916
- attrs.validators.deep_iterable()'s member_validator argument now also accepts a list of validators and wraps them in an attrs.validators.and_(). #925
- Added missing type stub re-imports for attrs.converters and attrs.filters. #931
- Added missing stub for attr(s).cmp_using(). #949
- attrs.validators._in()'s ValueError is not missing the attribute, expected options, and the value it got anymore. #951
- Python 3.11 is now officially supported. #969