Prolog and the web

phal

Nov 23, 2005, 11:59:17 PM11/23/05
Hi, all

I learned Prolog, and currently I work as a web programmer and
designer, as I know about Prolog, it is declaration programming, and I
not sure whether it may run faster then others.

I would like to know more about all of your suggestion for Prolog and
web programmer. Where can use Prolog for my purpose instead of AI?
Which language the most suitable for me to use with Prolog?

Phal

Brian Palmer

Nov 24, 2005, 8:22:53 AM11/24/05
"phal" <bett...@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to know more about all of your suggestion for Prolog and
> web programmer. Where can use Prolog for my purpose instead of AI?
> Which language the most suitable for me to use with Prolog?

I've read an interesting article on how prolog can work well with RDF,
which goes into at least the semantic web style web activities.
--
I'm awfully glad I'm a Beta, because I don't work so hard.

Duncan Patton

Nov 25, 2005, 11:25:11 PM11/25/05
On 23 Nov 2005 20:59:17 -0800
"phal" <bett...@gmail.com> wrote:

I use prolog for the composition of really unpreposessing web sites
that do all sorts of useful things that have little to do with AI
or any of the other intended uses of Prolog. Bad programming logic
is very easier to observe in Prolog than in some other languages;
either you get it right or it goes _very_ sideways.

Dhu

--
???????????????????????????????????????

Open Systems Integration

Contact Fubar the Hack: fubar AT neotext.ca

Area code seven eight zero, Exchange four six six, Local zero one zero nine

Highland terms, Canadian workmanship.

All persons named herein are purely fictional victims
of the Canidian Bagle Breeder's Association.

Save the Bagle!

Sun Ðhu

???????????????????????????????????????

Benjamin Johnston

Dec 9, 2005, 8:00:40 AM12/9/05

I'm a bit slow with my reply here, but...

I've used Prolog in quite a few situations, but when it comes to web
development, there's been two areas that I've found prolog to be quite
useful:

1. Web development via Prolog Server Pages
(http://www.benjaminjohnston.com.au/template.prolog?t=psp)

2. "Screen Scraping" other websites and web services -- SWI Prolog's
http client and html parser make screen scraping very easy.

Specific applications of Prolog to web development I've been involved
in:
- a web-based expert system
- a declarative framework for checking complex form submissions
- general intranet development
- a web user interface for analysing log files

You'll also find lots of applications in the SWI-Prolog applications
DB:
http://gollem.science.uva.nl/SWI-Prolog/apps/view.html

Prolog will probably not run faster, but in many circumstances may save
you development time.

-Benjamin Johnston

Walter

Dec 10, 2005, 3:18:15 PM12/10/05
In my experience it doesn't run slower, and can be significantly faster
processing term structures than Java processing XML. Of course, YMMV.

Walter

"Benjamin Johnston" <supe...@benjaminjohnston.com.au> wrote in message