Stepping down as editor of ISO Prolog standardization proposals

Paulo Moura

Oct 1, 2009, 12:22:56 PM10/1/09

I'm stepping down as editor of ISO Prolog standardization proposals:

http://blog.logtalk.org/2009/10/01/stepping-down-as-editor-of-iso-prolog-standardization-proposals/

I will make the last revisions of the standardization proposals
(together with the corresponding LaTeX files) I was editing in the
Prolog standardization forums (http://prolog.logtalk.org/) as soon as
I finnish pending editions. Given my current teaching duties and
research work, this will probably have to wait for the end of the
current semester (February 2010).

Best regards,

Paulo

Ulrich Neumerkel

Oct 1, 2009, 1:30:20 PM10/1/09

Do you want to say that until February 2010 you will not send the latex
sources to the editor?

Since December 2008 we are waiting that the resolutions are included
into the documents. In the meantime we had even a further meeting,
but no new documents.

Paulo Moura

Oct 1, 2009, 2:25:28 PM10/1/09
On Oct 1, 6:30 pm, ulr...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Ulrich
Neumerkel) wrote:

> Paulo Moura <pjlmo...@gmail.com> writes:
> >Hi,
>
> >I'm stepping down as editor of ISO Prolog standardization proposals:
>
> >http://blog.logtalk.org/2009/10/01/stepping-down-as-editor-of-iso-pro...

> >I will make the last revisions of the standardization proposals
> >(together with the corresponding LaTeX files) I was editing in the
> >Prolog standardization forums (http://prolog.logtalk.org/) as soon as
> >I finnish pending editions. Given my current teaching duties and
> >research work, this will probably have to wait for the end of the
> >current semester (February 2010).
>
> Do you want to say that until February 2010 you will not send the latex
> sources to the editor?

Most likely, although it's a very pessimistic deadline. My current
priorities are: preparing and teaching 18 hours of classes per week
for the entire semester, revising papers for conferences and writing
my own papers; developing Logtalk in the few spare moments I have, and
moving to and enjoying my new home in the company of my girlfriend, my
family, and my friends. Finishing pending editions in standardization
proposals is not a priority. Moreover, we're talking about the *LaTeX
sources*, not the actual proposals, which are and always have been
available in PDF format in the Prolog standardization forums. The
LaTeX sources are my property, written from scratch by me, not the
property of anyone else. I will dispose of them as I see fit and in my
own timing.

> Since December 2008 we are waiting that the resolutions are included
> into the documents.  In the meantime we had even a further meeting,
> but no new documents.

As I cleared stated in my blog post, I failed the deadline for
incorporating the resolutions made at the Udine meeting concerning the
DCGs proposal. This is, btw, one of the reasons I'm stepping down as
an editor. After all, standardization work should not stop because
some editor doing volunteer work is unable to meet a deadline. But in
the meantime, if you're looking for something to do, I suggest you
look to the POSI and Threads proposals. They summarize hard work that
me and others have been done but that are never discussed in any WG17
meeting.

Cheers,

Paulo

Paulo Moura

Oct 2, 2009, 7:52:14 PM10/2/09
The sources for the Portable Operating-System Interface (POSI)
standardization proposal are now available from the Prolog
standardization forums:

http://prolog.logtalk.org/

Cheers,

Paulo

Joachim Schimpf

Oct 4, 2009, 8:20:40 PM10/4/09
Paulo Moura wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm stepping down as editor of ISO Prolog standardization proposals:

Hi Paulo, sorry to hear that, but your decision is understandable.
Thanks for all the hard work you have put in over the last years.
I hope you will continue running your standardisation web site!

All the best,
Joachim

Paulo Moura

Oct 5, 2009, 4:09:04 PM10/5/09
The sources for the Core Revision standardization proposal are now

available from the Prolog standardization forums:

http://prolog.logtalk.org/

This proposal includes the changes approved during the morning of the
Pasadena WG17 meeting in July 2009.

Cheers,

Paulo