Glasses: how to avoid confusion at a port tasting

jdaw1

Sep 17, 2005, 5:27:28 PM9/17/05
Whenever I have hosted a port tasting, glasses have been put on a
labelled place mat, so things don't become too confused. Over the years
the PostScript program that generates the pages has grown in
complexity, and so I recently did a major pruning and tidying. The code
is now published via
http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/trivia/glasses.html which also has
sample output.

Any critisisms of or improvements to the code would be welcome. In
particular
-- what is the machine independent way to choose the typeface closest
to Times New Roman Bold?
-- The following seems to have no effect: mark /PageMode /Fit /DOCVIEW
pdfmark

Of course, if you host a port tasting then I would definitely welcome
being invited!

jdaw1

Sep 17, 2005, 10:06:46 PM9/17/05
... and, in the vain hope that
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.postscript/browse_thread/thread/540ca6b9fd7487e8/
was wrong I tried the likes of
mark
/Subtype /CircleTextStrings
/StPNE pdfmark
which had no effect. What is ... /StPNE pdfmark meant to do?

Aandi Inston

Sep 18, 2005, 6:21:47 AM9/18/05
"jdaw1" <jdawi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is ... /StPNE pdfmark meant to do?

Create a new element whose parent is the top element on the top of the
implicit parent stack. Whatever that is. Did you really want to create
a structure tree?
Aandi Inston qu...@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com

jdaw1

Sep 18, 2005, 8:52:47 AM9/18/05
What can structure trees do? (I find pdfmark documentation to be quite
cryptic.)

Aandi Inston

Sep 18, 2005, 9:31:07 AM9/18/05
"jdaw1" <jdawi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>What can structure trees do? (I find pdfmark documentation to be quite
>cryptic.)

Are you trying to use it in isolation from the PDF Reference? That
has a good deal on structure trees (aka tagging).

jdaw1

Sep 20, 2005, 2:29:50 PM9/20/05
Thanks.
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/pdf/PDFReference16.pdf
indeed has much on how to construct structure trees, but not a lot on
what they are for. And it seems surprising to me the Illustrator
completely ignores them -- or am I looking in the wrong place?

Aandi Inston

Sep 20, 2005, 3:06:35 PM9/20/05
"jdaw1" <jdawi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks.
>http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/pdf/PDFReference16.pdf
>indeed has much on how to construct structure trees, but not a lot on
>what they are for. And it seems surprising to me the Illustrator
>completely ignores them

They aren't what you are looking for. They are a way of describing the
logical reading order of a document, and the attributes of the
elements in it. While this might seem to offer opportunities for
grouping elements, it isn't a group in the sense of Illustrator's
grouped elements

> -- or am I looking in the wrong place?

There is nothing in standard PDF that expresses Illustrator's "group"
concept.

If you feel that there is, then you should work backwards from an
analysis of a PDF that contains such groups - but beware, because
Illustrator editable PDFs store the entire editable data into a
private area, completely ignoring the page contents.

jdaw1

Sep 21, 2005, 5:34:05 PM9/21/05
Thank you again.

OK, here's the policy decision. What I have done adds some structure to
the output, which is probably useless, but can't be worse than that. So
I'll leave it as-is, and give up on trying to improve it.

Other critisisms of or improvements to the code would still be welcome.

jdaw1

Dec 16, 2023, 2:44:57 PM12/16/23
Update: since the first post this PostScript code has moved twice, most recently to
https://github.com/jdaw1/placemat/