Fixing googlegroups styling

luser droog

Nov 12, 2021, 7:57:10 PM11/12/21
I'm sure everybody here is using a "real" newsreader. But I just use
googlegroups unless I need something fancy that it can't do.
But a big obvious whale of a shortcoming is GG's inability to properly
format plain old text. So here's a fix. Get yourself some kind of plugin
to insert CSS to the page and insert this:

html-blob{ white-space:pre-wrap; font-family:monospace; }
br{ display:none; }

[If it works, you will see the above 2 lines indented as they ought to be.]
You could use "pre" instead of "pre-wrap" but then you're at the mercy
of authors manually wrapping their own lines.

luser droog

Nov 12, 2021, 8:57:22 PM11/12/21
On Friday, November 12, 2021 at 6:57:10 PM UTC-6, luser droog wrote:
> I'm sure everybody here is using a "real" newsreader. But I just use
> googlegroups unless I need something fancy that it can't do.
> But a big obvious whale of a shortcoming is GG's inability to properly
> format plain old text. So here's a fix. Get yourself some kind of plugin
> to insert CSS to the page and insert this:
>
> html-blob{ white-space:pre-wrap; font-family:monospace; }
> br{ display:none; }

It might be better to only turn off the <br>s that are inside the blobs.

html-blob > br { display:none; }

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Nov 13, 2021, 1:30:26 AM11/13/21
In article <14b829dd-b431-461b...@googlegroups.com>,
That might make it look OK for you, but then that might actually
encourage people to post improperly. :-(

Ross Presser

Nov 22, 2021, 11:02:44 AM11/22/21
This makes every post in the group monospace. Don't like that.

luser droog

Nov 22, 2021, 7:28:12 PM11/22/21
Yeah. I thought I liked it at first. But then it got annoying. For some
inscrutable reason GG seems to print text in a weird gray so Courier
becomes really hard for these middle-aged eyes to make out at
anything less than 125% magnification.

So I'm not doing the "font-family:monospace;" anymore either.
Good to have in reserve in case there's ever some ascii art to look at,
I guess.