Distiller, enabling file functionality

jdaw1

Jul 18, 2020, 4:56:58 AM7/18/20
The following post at Adobe Support Community might be of interest here.
https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/distiller-enabling-file-functionality/m-p/11284091

Quoted in case the original disappears:

Original PostScript, which includes to level 3, had functions file and writestring. These could open a file for output, and to it write strings. From Acrobat ≈8.1 these were by default disabled, for understandable security reasons.

The internets hint that such file functionality can be re-enabled, but without details that work on my OS. Please, how can this functionality be re-enabled?

On macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, I have access to
• Adobe Distiller XI Pro 11.0.23 (01/11/2017); and to
• Adobe Distiller Professional 8.3.1 (30/08/2011).

Enabling it in either would suffice; former preferred; both even better. Indeed, it could be of broader use to give a full listing encompassing other versions and other OSs.

Ross Presser

Jul 20, 2020, 3:41:01 PM7/20/20
Have you tried launching Distiller with a -F commandline argument, as
Don Lancaster said worked for the Windows version?

https://www.tinaja.com/glib/distlang.pdf

> In Windows, the Distiller file read and write ability is restored by
> using a command line run command of...
>
> acrodist -F
>
> The read and write enabling will remain active so long as an
> executable version ofDistiller is on or under the desktop. To use, you
> simply drag and drop your Gonzoroutines into this active instance of
> Distiller.

Ross Presser

Jul 20, 2020, 3:44:47 PM7/20/20
Now I am less hopeful that will work; this API reference makes a big
distinction between platforms.

https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/Distiller9APIReference.pdf

jdaw1

Jul 21, 2020, 1:29:32 PM7/21/20
Slight progress.

Adobe Distiller Professional 8.3.1: in /Users/…/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.distiller8.plist set AllowPSFileOps to true. Which works.

Adobe Distiller XI Pro 11.0.23: setting the same in com.adobe.distiller11.plist (same folder) does not work. On opening Adobe Distiller XI Pro 11, it not only ignores AllowPSFileOps, it resets it back to false. :-(