Features of Subset G

John Cowan

Sep 11, 2022, 6:13:24 PM9/11/22
I realized that I shouldn't have posted my list of proposals until I had posted what actually is in Subset G. Here's my best shot at it (other than the list of built-in functions, which I will post separately if there is interest).

Statements:
Structural: package (exports), procedure, begin, do, end
Do keywords: loop, to, by, while, until
Declarative: declare, define constant, format
Flow of control: call, return, if,, select, leave, go to, (null), stop
Select keywords: select, when, any/all, otherwise
Conditions: on (snap, system), revert, signal
Storage: allocate, free
Assignment statement
I/O: open, close, get, put, read, write, rewrite, delete
Open keywords: file, title, linesize, pagesize, stream, record, input, output,
update, sequential
Get keywords: file, string, skip, list (do), edit
Put keywords: file, string, skip,, list (do), edit
Delete keywords: file, key, environment
Read keywords, file, into, environment, key, keyto, set, sizeto
Rewrite keywords: file, environment, key, from
Write keywords: file, from, keyfrom, environment

Data attributes:
aligned, area, binary, bit, decimal, character, dimension (refer),
entry, file, fixed, float, label, nonvarying, offset, picture, pointer,
returns, union, varying, variable

Non-data attributes:
automatic, builtin, based, condition, direct, defined,
environment, external, initial, input, internal, keyed, nonprint,
options, output, parameter, print, record, reserved,
sequential, static, stream, update, value

Condition names:
Computational: conversion, fixedoverflow, overflow, size,
underflow, zerodivide
I/O: beginpage, endfile, endpage, key, record, transmit, undefinedfile
Other: condition, area, error, finish, storage

Formats: a, b1, b2, b3, b4, e, f, p, l, tab, line, x, skip, column, r

Operators: |: &: | ^ & = < <= > >= ^< ^= ^> || + - * / **
unary ^ is not, binary ^ is xor

Enquiry functions (with (: and :) around arguments):
declaresize, null(:pointer:), minval, maxval, epsilon, radix,
null(:pointer:), null(:label:), null(:file:), null(:offset:), null(:entry),

Picture characters: V 9 Z $ + - S . , / B CR DB
Iteration count in parentheses
<...>: literal characters
<...>> (any number of > signs): floating/drifting characters

Peter Flass

Sep 12, 2022, 9:54:10 AM9/12/22
No GET/PUT DATA?

It’s easy enough to allow the programmer to specify what character he wants
to use for NOT.

--
Pete