IIS + PHP -- Worker Process alert & w3wp.exe crash?

turnstyle

Nov 27, 2007, 4:35:26 PM11/27/07
Hi all,

I'm trying to set up my first Vista/IIS7 box with PHP5 -- in IIS7 I
mapped the current php5isapi.dll.

I've noticed that if I simply open a PHP page (it works), when the IIS
application pool later recycles (either timed or forced), I get an
"IIS Worker Process has stopped working" alert, and a "Faulting
application w3wp.exe" event in the Event Viewer.

Is there a way to fix that? (Other folks seem to have the same
problem, but I can't seem to find a solution.)

Is *anybody* here running IIS7/PHP without this problem? Alterntively,
do others here have the same problem?

Many thanks, -Scott

Sanders Kaufman

Nov 27, 2007, 5:18:25 PM11/27/07
"turnstyle" <turn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

This issue actually goes all the way back to the first days of IIS and
ActiveX.
PHPxISAPI.dll is an ActiveX control - with all the pitfalls thereof.
Any changes to your configuration at all, and you have to shut down your IIS
service and restart it.
Worse, sometimes those changes can require you to have to reboot the OS
itself.

This kind of badness is one reason why the folks at PHP.net do not recommend
Windows for a production environment.

turnstyle

Nov 27, 2007, 7:45:38 PM11/27/07
Does PHP5 simply not work right on IIS7? (that would be news to me!)

Does *anybody* have PHP working on IIS7 without these "IIS Worker
Process has stopped working" alerts and the "Faulting application
w3wp.exe" events in the Event Viewer?

Thanks! -Scott

Jerry Stuckle

Nov 27, 2007, 8:15:57 PM11/27/07

Nope, I never use a MS product until it's been out at least two years.
And not necessarily then.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

turnstyle

Nov 28, 2007, 10:35:33 AM11/28/07
> Nope, I never use a MS product until it's been out at least two years.
> And not necessarily then.

Thanks, though I'm actully looking to find somebody that *is* running
PHP on IIS7 -- I'll try posting that question as a fresh thread.

Jerry Stuckle

Nov 28, 2007, 1:38:59 PM11/28/07

The point is - I don't know of anyone who's even trying it. And from
your searching, it looks like a lot of others have had problems, also.

Sanders Kaufman

Nov 28, 2007, 2:07:35 PM11/28/07
"Jerry Stuckle" <jstu...@attglobal.net> wrote in message

> turnstyle wrote:
>>> Nope, I never use a MS product until it's been out at least two years.
>>> And not necessarily then.
>>
>> Thanks, though I'm actully looking to find somebody that *is* running
>> PHP on IIS7 -- I'll try posting that question as a fresh thread.
>
> The point is - I don't know of anyone who's even trying it. And from your
> searching, it looks like a lot of others have had problems, also.

This is why PHP.net does not endorse PHP on a Windows platform for
production environments.
While it's *possible* to get past this problem in a dev environment, through
restarts and reboots, those are not acceptible practices in a production
environment.

Jerry Stuckle

Nov 28, 2007, 2:34:55 PM11/28/07

Recommend or not, I've got it working fine on IIS 5 and 6 - the latter
being a production server (still has .ASP code so we can't go to Apache).

Sanders Kaufman

Nov 28, 2007, 2:42:37 PM11/28/07
> Sanders Kaufman wrote:

>> While it's *possible* to get past this problem in a dev environment,
>> through restarts and reboots, those are not acceptible practices in a
>> production environment.
>
> Recommend or not, I've got it working fine on IIS 5 and 6 - the latter
> being a production server (still has .ASP code so we can't go to Apache).

That's the funniest part of Microsoft's last 10 years.
The old stuff works MUCH better than the .NET crap.

I evangelized the crap out of ActiveX, much to my shame.
But I can't even *pretend* to advocate .NET.
It works bad enough with itself, but is downright *horrible* with
third-party stuff.

turnstyle

Nov 28, 2007, 4:59:23 PM11/28/07
Thanks Jerry,

It seems this problem dates back to IIS6 (see http://bugs.php.net/36853).

Question: are you running PHP via ISAPI?

(and thanks again)

Jerry Stuckle

Nov 28, 2007, 5:20:26 PM11/28/07

Yep. But I'm not seeing the problem referenced by the bug.

turnstyle

Nov 28, 2007, 6:14:09 PM11/28/07
Hey Jerry & all, I think I found it...

if I open:
IIS Manager > DefautAppPool > Advanced Settings

and change:
Process Model > Identity

from NetworkService to SpecificUser

and enter my credentials in:
Identity SpecificUser Credentials

The problem stops -- do you happen to know what folders/perms I need
to check to use the default NetworkService as Process Model Identity?

Hopefully this info will be of use to somebody! ;)

-Scott