detect provider and resolution for webstats?

wEEdpEckEr

Apr 8, 2004, 12:58:31 PM4/8/04

I'm building my own webstats, and I was wondering if I could detect
following things:
the screeen resolution (although I believe this is only to be found out
through javascript, this sucks, since my stats have to be collected before
any output is made)
the provider (through the IP?)
An example are this stats: http://www.nedstatbasic.net/s?id=710309
The beginning of the 3th column with last 10 visitors is the provider.

TIA
greetz
Tim

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

Apr 9, 2004, 12:45:39 AM4/9/04
wEEdpEckEr <toch_lekker_nie@geen_email.aub> wrote in message news:<Xns94C5C1050C435w...@195.130.132.68>...

> Hi,
>
> I'm building my own webstats, and I was wondering if I could detect
> following things:
> the screeen resolution (although I believe this is only to be found out
> through javascript, this sucks, since my stats have to be collected before
> any output is made)

IMHO, no way except JS for this.

You should need the DB for that. eg. <http://www.ip2location.com/>

--
http://www.sendmetoindia.com - Send Me to India!
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com

wEEdpEckEr

Apr 9, 2004, 8:24:44 AM4/9/04
ng4rrj...@rediffmail.com (R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah) schreef op vr, 09 apr
2004 04:45:39 GMT in news:abc4d8b8.04040...@posting.google.com:

>> the provider (through the IP?)
>
> You should need the DB for that. eg. <http://www.ip2location.com/>

Hmmm, that seems to be one where you have to pay for... I already use a
country db (http://ip-to-country.webhosting.info/node/view/6 ) which is
free. You wouldn't happen to have a free one? ;-) Thanx for the information
anyways.

greetz
<T!M> aka wEEdpEckEr

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

Apr 10, 2004, 1:17:40 AM4/10/04
wEEdpEckEr <toch_lekker_nie@geen_email.aub> wrote in message news:<Xns94C6929B0C9B8w...@195.130.132.69>...

If I understand right, they all grab the data from whois DB itself.
So, here is my simple guidelines. Please post your feedback/result
here; possibly I'll check after the Tamil New Year holidays.

1. Get the IP.
2. Refer <http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space> and
__see__ *which* whois server should be used for the whois lookup.
3. Now, do the whois lookup. eg. whois -h whois.apnic.net 61.x.x.x
4. Parse the results. AFAIK, it will have the ISP info.
5. Repeat this steps with many IPs and findout the best method to
parse the exact ISP string.
6. Now, write your IP2ISP script in PHP. You may use shell_exec()
<http://in2.php.net/shell_exec> or other system functions to invoke
the commandline whois utility.

HTH. Happy Tamil New Year (April 14th:-)).