Apple Fans Seem More Excited For Apple’s New IPhones This Year

Katerine Crews

Dec 5, 2023, 1:44:59 PM12/5/23
When we started Apple TV+ a few years ago, we did so to tell stories that reflect our broader humanity. And whether it was CODA winning the Oscar for Best Picture or Ted Lasso winning back-to-back Emmys for Best Comedy, we have seen, in so many ways, the validation of this kind of storytelling and the strong desire for more of it.

Apple fans seem more excited for Apples new iPhones this year
Download https://t.co/rpkiB5QYJR

When a new iPhone becomes available, it's customary to see lines snaked around Apple stores hours before they open. Apple fans want to be the first to have and use a device, and avoid having to wait for shipping delays. (Even this year amid the pandemic, people waited for the iPhone 12 outside Apple stores around the globe.)

Early rumors pointed to 2021 as a potential target date, but the year passed with no foldable iPhone in sight. A March 2021 report from longtime Apple analyst Ming Chi Kuo (via MacRumors) suggested 2023 might be more realistic, if it ever happens. According to Kuo, Apple still needs to figure out technology and mass production issues before bringing a device like this to market, hence the wait. Speculation later in 2021 from Bloomberg's Mark Gurman aligned with Kuo's predictions: In his Power On Newsletter, Gurman said that the foldable iPhone may not arrive for another two to three years.

We've repeatedly heard that Apple could be planning a major U(SB)-turn with the iPhone 14, finally offering USB-C (opens in new tab) to the masses. Allowing for faster charging than Lightning and much greater flexibility with accessories, USB-C has been a mainstay on fans' wishlists for a few years now. But seeing as it was rumoured to be hitting the iPhone 13, and 12, and 11, we'll take this one with a pinch of salt.

2021 was an eventful year for Apple, with the company releasing many category-defining products across the board including an M1-powered iPad Pro, a brand new iPad mini, a new MacBook Pro lineup, iPhone 13 series, and more. It looks like 2022 is going to be even more exciting for Apple fans as the Cupertino giant has several promising products in the works, including new Mac Pros, a redesigned MacBook Air, a VR headset, and more.

New tariffs imposed on goods imported from China are slated to hit the iPhone and other Apple electronics later this year, which would make the devices more expensive. At the same time, buyers are increasingly opting for less expensive phone models -- the iPhone XR instead of the XS, for instance. People are also hanging on to their phones longer, and are reluctant to spend around $1,000 on a new phone every year or two.

Apple Arcade is rumored to cost $5 a month, while Apple TV Plus may run you $10 a month. The services are likely to launch in November. This comes on top of Apple Music, as well as Apple News Plus, which launched earlier this year.

In a report we posted earlier this morning on Bloomberg's prediction of iPhone sales for Q4, I noted that "The biggest question for this year will be whether Apple fans will buy into the higher-end iPhones with the new backside bug-eyed blotch of cameras that rumor sites have been reporting on or whether they'll wait until 2020 when much larger changes are on the drawing board like new AR cameras, 5G connectivity and hopefully a slicker backside camera design."

Well, it seems that companies with omnichannel engagement strategies manage to retain around 89% of their customers, and 64% of consumers expect to receive real-time assistance regardless of the channel they use. Offering this type of support is more likely to get your customers to promote your brand to others.

At the time, Apple had a strong rival called Atari, a computer company where Jobs had previously worked. In 1980, Jobs admitted during a presentation that besides liking apples, another reason why they chose this name was to appear before the name Atari in the phone book.

As mentioned before, Apple needed a monochromatic logo to go well with the new design of the products and iMac. Therefore, in the same year, Apple introduced a new logo, all black, and discontinued the translucent logo. Apple used the monochrome logo for all its products until 2000. Just like the translucent logo, the apple shape remained unchanged.

The iPhone 12 features a new design and also works on the new ultrafast 5G wireless networks gradually rolling out around the world, two factors that could spur many Apple fans to upgrade from their older models. Apple also traditionally caters to an upscale demographic that may have remained employed during the past year. Those consumers have had even more disposable income to spend after restrictions aimed at fighting the spread of COVID-19 curtailed their ability to dine out or travel.

With Apple already having revealed quite a bit this year, it might seem weird that the tech manufacturer is holding yet another special event this year. However, there is still tech for the company to talk about.

When Apple launches a new iPhone model every year, these fans are the first customers to purchase the product. They are the early adopters, fully dedicated to the brand. To the rest of the world, the launch price of a new iPhone might seem very high. iPhone fans see a different story, one of emotional engagement, excitement and the feeling of participating in a historical event. Owning an iPhone also makes a statement about you as an individual.

"A decade ago, we began a deep collaboration with one of the best bands of all time, and that band is U2," Tim Cook said on stage, near the end of that day's keynote. "U2 has agreed to perform for you today, and we could not be more excited about this. U2 is among the most respected artists in the world, among the best selling, and they've won more Grammy Awards than any single band in history."

Earlier this year, Apple launched the 13.6-inch MacBook Air M2. This new iteration of the popular MacBook sports a new design and is powered by the latest M2 chipset. While the dust still settles around this new MacBook Air, it seems like Apple is set to release a 15-inch MacBook Air in Spring 2023. This is a first for MacBook Air, as it has never been released with a 15-inch screen.

Apple doesn't change the design of its products often, but it looks like this event will showcase multiple products with major design changes. So there's every reason to be excited about it. Whether you're an Apple fan or a tech enthusiast, the company's annual event in September has always been something to look forward to. Even without a new MacBook, Apple's hardware line-up is looking like it will be really impressive this year.

Last month, the company made the rare move of pulling an update to the operating system after some people reported it left their phones unable to make calls and their fingerprint sensors useless. Although Apple said the bugs only affected a small number of people, and the company soon released a fix, the episode led to a spate of bad publicity. That, along with the whopping five gigabytes of precious storage space needed to download the update wirelessly, seems to have made people shy away from downloading the new OS en masse. Apple fans are adopting the new operating system much more slowly than they adopted iOS 7, the previous version.

Meyer isn't alone. People complaining about their iPhones feeling slow after new iPhones and operating systems come out is nothing new. Catherine Rampell wrote in The New York Times last year that her iPhone 4 felt "a lot more sluggish" after the 5S and 5C were released. Sendhil Mullainathan, a professor of economics at Harvard, noted in another Times story this summer that Google searches in the U.S. for "iPhone Slow" spike when each new iPhone is released.

Given the legendary secrecy of the world's most valuable company, you have to wonder: How am I seeing this? Well, a few years ago, I sent THIS to Steve Jobs, blatantly stealing the Apple beat from a more able colleague. I still feel guilty, but I don't regret it because I was genuinely taken with the second coming of Jobs and was unabashedly fond of Apple's products. My hope for a sweeping profile led to my covering a few launches and every six months we pitched them an ABC News special on the inner workings of Apple. They always politely declined.

This is why creating mystery around product launches is one of Apple's best marketing tactics. It is a clever approach as it turns the target audience into loyal fans, as this will make them curious encouraging them to search for more information and share everything they find about the product.
eebf2c3492