Tcl::pTk: new co-maintainer, release 0.93, MacPorts

Christopher Chavez

Jul 15, 2018, 7:06:36 AM7/15/18
Hi everyone,

I've recently been added as a co-maintainer to Tcl::pTk. Thanks to John
Cerney for helping me get started.

I'm particularly interested in its use with macOS aqua, since it allows
running Perl/Tk programs with native aqua UI and without needing XQuartz.

I released Tcl::pTk 0.93 to address a few issues which I and other users
have reported so far. The more important usability changes are:

* focusFollowsMouse Perl/Tk syntax support (RT #125057)
* Adjust mousewheel scrolling units for macOS aqua (RT #125048)
* Use mouse buttons 4 and 5 for scrolling on X11 only (not aqua)
* Bind widgets' events for mouse buttons 2 and 3 correctly on aqua
(since they are backwards from how X11 and Windows assign them; RT
#125050, #125460)
* Prevent error when invoking Cut from F2 key (RT #125460)
* Allow '-forwards' for FindNext() direction, as documented by newer
Perl/Tk (RT #125532)

I've also added a p5-tcl-ptk port to MacPorts. It doesn't yet provide
complete functionality; at the moment, some of the ports for Tk
extensions (Tix and Tktable) only work with the X11 variant of the Tk port.

Christopher A. Chavez