Re: very unusual problem with cpan shell

11 views
Skip to first unread message

John D Groenveld

unread,
Feb 28, 2022, 10:00:41 AMFeb 28
to
In article <87tucjg...@local.lan>, hput <hpu...@zohomail.com> wrote:
>I used the cpan shell to install a few modules and now I really cannot
>remember what all I might have done. The last thing was to try and
>install. Term::ReadLine::Perl
>
>Install failed.

In what way?

$ gzip -dc .cpan/sources/authors/id/I/IL/ILYAZ/modules/Term-ReadLine-Perl-1.0303.tar.gz |tar xf -
$ cd Term-ReadLine-Perl-1.0303
$ perl Makefile.PL
$ make test

John
groe...@acm.org

John D Groenveld

unread,
Feb 28, 2022, 7:17:14 PMFeb 28
to
In article <87mtiaf...@local.lan>, hput <hpu...@zohomail.com> wrote:
>Some missing mods I think it was, but cannot ascertain now. No work

To ascertain which modules you installed previously:
$ perldoc perllocal

John
groe...@acm.org

hput

unread,
Mar 1, 2022, 12:28:41 PMMar 1
to
Thanks, that's a handy thing to know about.

Do you think any of this has some baring on what ever program takes
over my cpan shell? As well as any attempt to manually install a perl
module where it take over my xterm shell?

Thu Feb 3 18:07:46 2022: "Module" CPAN
Mon Feb 21 01:49:55 2022: "Module" Net::SSLeay
Mon Feb 21 01:55:22 2022: "Module" IO::Socket::SSL
Mon Feb 21 01:57:16 2022: "Module" Term::ReadLine

Apparently Term::ReadLine did get installed

So, what could it be that takes over my cpan shell, rendering
it unusable; or xterm shell rendering it unusable?

I guess it is a perl program running but in my limited experiences I
do not recognize it as perl

Can you tell from the snippets I've posted what language that program
is in?

John D Groenveld

unread,
Mar 1, 2022, 3:27:52 PMMar 1
to
In article <87h78hf...@local.lan>, hput <hpu...@zohomail.com> wrote:
> Thu Feb 3 18:07:46 2022: "Module" CPAN
> Mon Feb 21 01:49:55 2022: "Module" Net::SSLeay
> Mon Feb 21 01:55:22 2022: "Module" IO::Socket::SSL
> Mon Feb 21 01:57:16 2022: "Module" Term::ReadLine

As per the README, Term::ReadLine::Perl requires Term::ReadKey on the
Omnios and OpenIndiana installations I have at my finger tips.
<URL:https://metacpan.org/release/ILYAZ/Term-ReadLine-Perl-1.0303/source/README>

$ wget https://cpan.metacpan.org/authors/id/J/JS/JSTOWE/TermReadKey-2.38.tar.gz
$ gzip -dc TermReadKey-2.38.tar.gz| tar xf -
$ cd TermReadKey-2.38
$ perl Makefile.PL
$ make test
$ make install

$ cd ../Term-ReadLine-Perl-1.0303
$ perl Makefile.PL
$ make test
$ make install

$ cpan

My WAG is cpan without a functioning ReadKey and ReadLine is doing
something awful with stdin including the memory bomb.

John
groe...@acm.org

gamo

unread,
Mar 2, 2022, 12:57:09 PMMar 2
to
El 28/2/22 a las 16:00, John D Groenveld escribió:
> $ gzip -dc .cpan/sources/authors/id/I/IL/ILYAZ/modules/Term-ReadLine-Perl-1.0303.tar.gz |tar xf -

A very complex way to say

tar zxvf arch.tar.gz



--
http://gamo.sdf-eu.org/
perl -E 'say "Error: done!"'

John D Groenveld

unread,
Mar 3, 2022, 11:52:13 AMMar 3
to
In article <svob5e$o1v$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, gamo <ga...@telecable.es> wrote:
>A very complex way to say
>
>tar zxvf arch.tar.gz

Though not documented, the z modifier is not required to tar(1) x
function, as tar will autodetect the compression.
<URL:https://illumos.org/man/1/tar>

John
groe...@acm.org

hput

unread,
Mar 10, 2022, 1:02:23 PMMar 10
to
groe...@acm.org (John D Groenveld) writes:

> In article <87h78hf...@local.lan>, hput <hpu...@zohomail.com> wrote:
>> Thu Feb 3 18:07:46 2022: "Module" CPAN
>> Mon Feb 21 01:49:55 2022: "Module" Net::SSLeay
>> Mon Feb 21 01:55:22 2022: "Module" IO::Socket::SSL
>> Mon Feb 21 01:57:16 2022: "Module" Term::ReadLine
>
> As per the README, Term::ReadLine::Perl requires Term::ReadKey on the
> Omnios and OpenIndiana installations I have at my finger tips.
> <URL:https://metacpan.org/release/ILYAZ/Term-ReadLine-Perl-1.0303/source/README>

[...]

> $ cd ../Term-ReadLine-Perl-1.0303
> $ perl Makefile.PL
> $ make test
> $ make install
>
> $ cpan
>
> My WAG is cpan without a functioning ReadKey and ReadLine is doing
> something awful with stdin including the memory bomb.

First an apology for the long delay. A nasty plumbing problem broke
out on the home front. Ended up solding several copper joints in
difficult locations.

------- ------- ---=--- ------- -------

I see now that things were spelled out quite clearly in that README

Sorry that I skipped something I should have known to do.

However, having followed the directions you supplied; Read-key
tested and installed correctly.

Reinstall of ReadLine-Perl also tested and installed correctly.

Entering cpan seemed to be ok at first:

typed `h' ... left that help output

Started to type: o con

I didn't get to `f' when the darned ghost program started and stopped
all other cpan activity.. and in fact froze the VM for any use at all.

After restarting the VM I noticed this running.

`root 1452 0.0 0.1 7408 5888 ? S 17:43:16 0:00 /usr/perl5/bin/perl/usr/lib/intrd'

It may always be running... I never checked before. I do not see it
on the vm host but that is a different OS: vm=openindiana, host=ubuntu

It will take a while to create another openindiana vm to chk. Perhaps
someone here knows offhand?



John D Groenveld

unread,
Mar 11, 2022, 10:48:50 AMMar 11
to
In article <87sfrpi...@local.lan>, hput <hpu...@zohomail.com> wrote:
>After restarting the VM I noticed this running.
>
>`root 1452 0.0 0.1 7408 5888 ? S 17:43:16 0:00
>/usr/perl5/bin/perl/usr/lib/intrd'
>
>It may always be running... I never checked before. I do not see it
>on the vm host but that is a different OS: vm=openindiana, host=ubuntu
>
>It will take a while to create another openindiana vm to chk. Perhaps
>someone here knows offhand?

$ file /usr/lib/intrd
/usr/lib/intrd: executable /usr/perl5/bin/perl script

$ pkg search -o path,pkg.name -l /usr/lib/intrd
PATH PKG.NAME
usr/lib/intrd SUNWcs

RTFM:
<URL:https://illumos.org/man/1m/intrd>

John
groe...@acm.org

John D Groenveld

unread,
Mar 12, 2022, 9:09:49 AMMar 12
to
In article <87sfrpi...@local.lan>, hput <hpu...@zohomail.com> wrote:
>However, having followed the directions you supplied; Read-key
>tested and installed correctly.
>
>Reinstall of ReadLine-Perl also tested and installed correctly.
>
>Entering cpan seemed to be ok at first:
>
> typed `h' ... left that help output
>
>Started to type: o con
>
>I didn't get to `f' when the darned ghost program started and stopped
>all other cpan activity.. and in fact froze the VM for any use at all.

I'm not able to reproduce this behavior with an up-to-date OI.

Lets see:
$ perl -V

hput

unread,
Mar 16, 2022, 10:55:57 AMMar 16
to
groe...@acm.org (John D Groenveld) writes:

[...]

>>Started to type: o con
>>
>>I didn't get to `f' when the darned ghost program started and stopped
>>all other cpan activity.. and in fact froze the VM for any use at all.
>
> I'm not able to reproduce this behavior with an up-to-date OI.
>
> Lets see:
> $ perl -V
> $ perldoc perllocal
>

I wasn't sure if you expected full content of perl -V so included all
of it.

perl -V content:

perlV-OI-220316-144702.txt
perldoc_perllocal-OI-220316-144702.txt

John D Groenveld

unread,
Mar 17, 2022, 4:24:12 PMMar 17
to
In article <8735jik...@local.lan>, hput <hpu...@zohomail.com> wrote:
>I wasn't sure if you expected full content of perl -V so included all
>of it.
>
>perl -V content:
>Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 22 subversion 4) configuration:
[snipped]
>perldoc perllocal content:
> Thu Feb 3 18:07:46 2022: "Module" CPAN
> * "installed into: /usr/perl5/5.24/lib"

Did you set a mediator to adjust OI's perl?
# pkg mediator

My WAG is you set perl -V 5.24 but left system-perl -V 5.22.
/usr/perl5/bin/cpan likely invokes /usr/perl5/5.22/bin/perl, assuming
you have PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/perl5/bin, which has a broken or
non-existent Term::ReadKey and Term::ReadLine::Perl

pkg.openindiana.org has runtime/perl-534, I have tested using it in
a non-global zone and cannot reproduce your memory bomb.
# pkg set-mediator -V 5.34 perl
# pkg set-mediator -V 5.34 system-perl

John
groe...@acm.org

hput

unread,
Mar 19, 2022, 3:45:27 PMMar 19
to
groe...@acm.org (John D Groenveld) writes:

[...]

> Did you set a mediator to adjust OI's perl?
> # pkg mediator

This is the first time I've heard mention of a mediator. I did notice
the several versions of perl on my system but did not realize I needed
a mediator to make one decisive.

> My WAG is you set perl -V 5.24 but left system-perl -V 5.22.
> /usr/perl5/bin/cpan likely invokes /usr/perl5/5.22/bin/perl, assuming
> you have PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/perl5/bin, which has a broken or
> non-existent Term::ReadKey and Term::ReadLine::Perl

I followed your direction below

> pkg.openindiana.org has runtime/perl-534, I have tested using it in
> a non-global zone and cannot reproduce your memory bomb.
> # pkg set-mediator -V 5.34 perl
> # pkg set-mediator -V 5.34 system-perl
>

I set the mediator as advised. I then checked with both perl -V and
perl -version to see what was displayed. Still 5.24 ... I thought
perhaps a reboot was necessary and did a reboot.

Once the os was up I went to /usr/perl5/5.34/bin to make sure I was
calling the right cpan I typed cpan and entered the shell. I then
started to search for a module `m /lchown/' soon as I hit enter the
dreaded ghost program took over the cpan shell and has rendered the
entire OS unusable.

A day or two ago I created another OI host (vbox vm as the original)
I have been getting it up to date and so forth. Cpan on it has none
of this problem.

After calling pkg set-mediator -V 5.34 perl and ditto system-perl. Is
it correct that perl -V and perl -version should still point to 5.24?

I note too that `which perl' shows /usr/perl5/5.24/bin/perl

On the new OI OS I mentioned, I also followed your suggestion for
setting mediator... Also rebooted it. That OS also shows the same
things as reported above for the problem OS. (But without the ghost
program).

Admittedly I have no idea what setting a mediator really does. But
curious to know if the reported outputs is expected?

John D Groenveld

unread,
Mar 19, 2022, 7:15:28 PMMar 19
to
In article <87ee2xs...@local.lan>, hput <hpu...@zohomail.com> wrote:
>groe...@acm.org (John D Groenveld) writes:
>After calling pkg set-mediator -V 5.34 perl and ditto system-perl. Is
>it correct that perl -V and perl -version should still point to 5.24?

No.

$ echo $PATH

John
groe...@acm.org

hput

unread,
Mar 21, 2022, 12:17:32 PMMar 21
to
groe...@acm.org (John D Groenveld) writes:

> In article <87ee2xs...@local.lan>, hput <hpu...@zohomail.com> wrote:
>>groe...@acm.org (John D Groenveld) writes:
>>After calling pkg set-mediator -V 5.34 perl and ditto system-perl. Is
>>it correct that perl -V and perl -version should still point to 5.24?
>
> No.
>
> $ echo $PATH
>

You hit it on the head; my path was a mess from carrying over certain
dot files for yrs.

Now hopefully corrected at so:

/usr/gnu/bin:/usr/local/src/git/test/bin:/usr/local/src/test/bin:\
/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/scripts:/usr/local/scripts/perl:\
/usr/local/scripts/awk:/bk/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/perl5/bin:/usr/local/sbin:\
/usr/sbin:/sbin

The extra elements point to certain tools built from scratch and to
the onboard gnu tools.

The last portion is the default path:
/usr/bin:/usr/perl5/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
and now point so the mediator choice at

/usr/perl5/bin -> /usr/perl5/5.34/bin

`which perl' now shows /usr/perl5/bin/perl
perl -V and perl -version also point to the mediators choice now.

Thanks again for the solid advice and perceptive way of revealing the
problems.

The cpan problem on original oi vm host is still there but I'm about
done setting up a second oi host. So I can just delete the problem
host. I need to get on with my purposes for having the oi vm.

Thanks for patience and help.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages