what is this

George Bouras

Jan 21, 2021, 6:29:43 AM1/21/21
https://metacpan.org/release/HYDAHY/perl-5.33.6

This means you can write things like S<C<\x{ FFFC }>> if you like. This
applies to all such constructs, namely C<\b{}>, C<\g{}>, C<\k{}>,
C<\N{}>, C<\o{}>, and C<\x{}>; as well as the regular expression
quantifier C<{I<m>,I<n>}>. C<\p{}> and C<\P{}> retain their already-
existing, even looser, rules mandated by the Unicode standard (see
L<perluniprops/Properties accessible through \p{} and \P{}>).

This ability is in effect regardless of the presence of the C</x>
regular expression pattern modifier.

Additionally, the comma in a regular expression braced quantifier may
have blanks (tabs or spaces) before and/or after the comma, like
S<C<qr/a{ 5, 7 }/>>.

Ben Bacarisse

Jan 21, 2021, 8:18:25 AM1/21/21
George Bouras <f...@example.com> writes:

> https://metacpan.org/release/HYDAHY/perl-5.33.6
>
> This means you can write things like S<C<\x{ FFFC }>> if you

... Let's remove the markup so we can see what this is about in plain
text:

> This means you can write things like \x{ FFFC } if you
> like. This applies to all such constructs, namely \b{}, \g{},
> \k{}, \N{}, \o{}, and \x{}; as well as the regular
> expression quantifier {m,n}. \p{} and \P{} retain their
> already-existing, even looser, rules mandated by the Unicode standard
> (see perluniprops/Properties accessible through \p{} and \P{}).
>
> This ability is in effect regardless of the presence of the /x
> regular expression pattern modifier.
>
> Additionally, the comma in a regular expression braced quantifier may
> have blanks (tabs or spaces) before and/or after the comma, like
> qr/a{ 5, 7 }/.

Is that better?

It just means that spaces can appear inside those regular expression
construct that use curly brackets.

--
Ben.

Eli the Bearded

Jan 21, 2021, 2:33:30 PM1/21/21
In comp.lang.perl.misc, Ben Bacarisse <ben.u...@bsb.me.uk> wrote:
> George Bouras <f...@example.com> writes:
> > https://metacpan.org/release/HYDAHY/perl-5.33.6
> >
> > This means you can write things like S<C<\x{ FFFC }>> if you
> ... Let's remove the markup so we can see what this is about in plain
> text:
[snip]
> Is that better?
>
> It just means that spaces can appear inside those regular expression
> construct that use curly brackets.

Well, the two lines in the original above where George's quote begins
also help:

Blanks freely allowed within but adjacent to curly braces
(in double-quotish contexts and regular expression patterns)

So anywhere that you use syntactically significant {} in regular
expressions AND double-quotish now allow whitespace inside the {}
with the "adjacent to curly braces" caveat.

Elijah
------
new and exciting ways to break Perl syntax highlighters

George Bouras

Feb 1, 2021, 6:58:55 AM2/1/21
thanks guys