A Borland C++ Builder Question

Steven O.

Nov 5, 2003, 11:35:29 AM11/5/03
First, please don't flame for posting here -- I know these are not
normally the correct groups, but I'm getting no responses in the
Borland newsgroups (maybe not enough traffic). People in these groups
might be familiar with the Borland products, and Borland issues, I am
raising -- at least you might have tried Borland's C++ products. So
thanks in advance for your understanding.

I had purchased Teach Yourself Borland C++ Builder in 21 Days, an
older version, from Amazon, and it included Borland C++ Builder
version 4. This program is letting me build GUI apps, and it has a
convenient Component Palette that lets me drag components onto a form,
and write code for the components -- very much like Visual Basic.

So I went to Borland's Web site, and paid for the CD of Borland C++
Build X (the Personal edition). I just installed it, and I don't see
any way to create forms, and there is no components palette.

A double-check of the Borland Web site, which I find very confusing,
suggests that maybe there is a *separate* product, Borland C++
Builder, not Builder X -- but that seems to be only available in an
Enterprise edition, which I'm sure is very pricey.

All I want is a somewhat more up-to-date version of the compiler/IDE I
already have -- that is, an update from the Version 4 product that
came with my book -- that still has the simple, straightforward tools
for building a GUI app. Is it hidden somewhere in the C++ Builder X
app that I just paid for. Or is it only to be found in the Borland
C++ Builder, Enterprise Edition, which I'm sure I can't afford?

Please, someone steer my in the right direction. In the product I
have, I can't even find something that says "New -> Form", let alone
find a component palette. (Do I need to go to E-bay and obtain
Borland C++ Builder 5!?)

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Steve O.

Standard Antiflame Disclaimer: Please don't flame me. I may actually *be* an idiot, but even idiots have feelings.

Veign

Nov 5, 2003, 11:49:36 AM11/5/03
The chance of getting an answer in this newsgroup (Classic VB) is slim...You
really shouldn't post to a newsgroup just because there is traffic to the
group - traffic is from posting questions relevant to the name of the
newsgroup.....

But I like the disclaimer at the bottom of your post...

--
Chris Hanscom
MVP (Visual Basic)

Man in Black

Nov 5, 2003, 11:46:18 AM11/5/03
First, you've spent your money for a shit. :)
Second, to create a new form try this: "File/New...."

Third.... how to place components... try with "Edit/Components List"

Sorry, may be I gave you wrong answer, because I saw BCPPB only twice.
But it should work.

Steven O.

Nov 5, 2003, 11:39:26 PM11/5/03
I appreciate the suggestions, but, I am smart enough to try File ->
New.... as well as other obvious strategies. I know enough to hunt
around menus looking for all kinds of options, and there is nothing.

As it turns out, further perusal of Borland newsgroups reveals that
C++ Builder X does, indeed, lack the kind of user-friendly GUI
building capabilities that were present in earlier versions of C++
Builder. It always amazes me how companies can completely screw up
good products during "upgrades". (See various Usenet threads about
"progress" in Norton Utilities in recent years.).

Anyway, sorry for intruding into these not-entirely applicable
newsgroups, but thought I'd let any curious parties know the outcome.

Steve O.

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 19:46:18 +0300, "Man in Black" <a...@magnus.kiev.ua>

Steve Barnett

Nov 6, 2003, 3:46:37 AM11/6/03
Borland have always had two C++ compilers. From what I read in your post,
you have bought the "pure" compiler, rather than the interactive product.
C++ BuilderX is the cross platform development environment, ties to this
compiler.

What you are looking for is a product called "Borland C++ Builder". The
"Builder" is the important bit, as it refers to the IDE version you have
with your book. This one comes with the interactive form designer. There
used to be a personal edition of C++ Builder, but I don't know whether it's
still available. Should be.

My belief is that the current version is Borland C++ Builder 6.0 Personal
Edition. You get the key for this product at:
http://www.borland.com/products/downloads/download_cbuilder.html

It's been a while since I had this product, but I thought you downloaded the
enterprise product and then installed the "personal" key to make it a
personal copy. Suggest you email the download manager and ask before you
commit to that though: downlo...@borland.com

Incidentally, you'll also find that there is a "Borland C# Builder" now.
that's the .NET variant... it look the same but is designed around .NET
apps. I'm playing with the personal version of that right now and find
myself going back to VS.NET for anything serious... bummer, I like Borland
products normally.

HTH
Steve