Please help -- urgent MDB recovery problem

15 views
Skip to first unread message

Craig Spradling

unread,
Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
to
One of my users today turned off his computer w/o closing the app (and
therefore the mdb) -- the app was dormant at the time. When I turned the
computer back on I opened Access 97 to run a Repair and Compact, in that
order, and a few seconds into the Repair method Windows 98 crashed with a VX
... error. Since I couldn't recover from the crash, I rebooted and on the
reboot it located two lost cluster chains, which I saved (only 4K).
Whenever I try and load the mdb into Access I get the following error (and
the file is not loaded):

'C:\[Path\filename].mdb' isn't an index in table. Look in the Indexes
collection of the TableDef object to determine the valid index names.

where [Path\filename] is just the description of the file. Please someone
tell me that I am not completely screwed. I have a backup which is a couple
of days old but I really don't want to lose the interim data. I would not
think twice about paying someone to remedy the situation -- the file is
small (1.6meg zipped) so I can easily email it. Please let me know,

Thanks,
Craig

Lembit Soobik

unread,
Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
to
Craig,
you may try the following method which I have used some time ago
succesfully:

make a copy of your damaged mdb
open it with a hex editor
open the working backup copy with a hex editor (in read-only mode or use a
copy)
compare each byte of the header (the first couple of screens full) and
correct the damaged mdb wherever necessary.

much luck
Lembit

Craig Spradling schrieb in Nachricht ...

Alden Streeter

unread,
Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
to
There is a simple solution that does not require a hex editor:

Download the Jet engine 3.51 update from MS at:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/downloads/LNP126.asp?PR=ACC&FR=0&A=T&T=
B&M=S&

and use the JetComp utility.

Your problem was caused by a known bug in Jet 3.5 that is fixed by the
improved Compact process in Jet 3.51 that combines the Compact and Repair
processes.

Alden


Craig Spradling wrote in message ...

cate...@gmail.com

unread,
Jan 29, 2013, 7:40:29 AM1/29/13
to
On Monday, January 18, 1999 1:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, Craig Spradling wrote:
> One of my users today turned off his computer w/o closing the app (and
> therefore the mdb) -- the app was dormant at the time. When I turned the
> computer back on I opened Access 97 to run a Repair and Compact, in that
> order, and a few seconds into the Repair method Windows 98 crashed with a VX
> ... error. Since I couldn't recover from the crash, I rebooted and on the
> reboot it located two lost cluster chains, which I saved (only 4K).
> Whenever I try and load the mdb into Access I get the following error (and
> the file is not loaded):
>
> 'C:\[Path\filename].mdb' isn't an index in table. Look in the Indexes
> collection of the TableDef object to determine the valid index names.
>
> where [Path\filename] is just the description of the file. Please someone
> tell me that I am not completely screwed. I have a backup which is a couple
> of days old but I really don't want to lose the interim data. I would not
> think twice about paying someone to remedy the situation -- the file is
> small (1.6meg zipped) so I can easily email it. Please let me know,
>
> Thanks,
> Craig
First check your last few backup if your backup also corrupted/damage then you try JetComp utility, it is a stand-alone utility and recover as well as compacting databse. For more info http://diskrecovery.tumblr.com/post/17150018824/overcome-access-database-corruption-with-access

Kari Svensson

unread,
Feb 3, 2013, 4:31:00 AM2/3/13
to
cate...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Monday, January 18, 1999 1:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, Craig Spradling wrote:
>> One of my users today turned off his computer w/o closing the app (and
>> therefore the mdb)

> First check your last few backup if your backup also corrupted/damage
> then you try JetComp utility, it is a stand-alone utility and recover
> as well as compacting databse. For more info
> /overcome-access-database-corruption-with-access

Extremely nice catch!

I bet Craig may have had his times when he thought that nobody will even
answer. The catastropic MDB database mesh will never get solved.

There you see, never loose your hope and never give up! All the Delphi
relateds questions will always get answered, sooner or later.

Kari

kayer.je...@gmail.com

unread,
Jan 24, 2015, 3:48:23 AM1/24/15
to
Automatically find, undelete and recover deleted and damaged Access databases as well as MDB and ACCDB files stored on formatted disks and flash drives.To get more relevant info and FREE trail of this software visit here:- http://www.recoverydeletedfiles.com/access-file-recovery-tool.html


asbur...@gmail.com

unread,
Jan 31, 2015, 5:03:00 AM1/31/15
to
You can download Access file Recovery Tool. It can easily repair and recover from damaged MDB/ACCDB files without any hassles. hat application quickly repair unexpected system showdown, virus infection, software crash or malfunctioning. Reference link :- http://www.recoverfilesdata.com/access-file-recovery-software.html
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages