Installing gtm_V70005 on Ubuntu

marcelo...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2023, 7:18:48 PM2/9/23
Hello everyone!

Can anyone help me?

I would like to learn the programming language GT.M (Mumps), but I need a tutorial to install the version gtm_V70005_linux_x8664_pro.tar on Ubuntu.

What would be the most suitable Ubuntu version to install gtm_V70005?

I am not skilled in Linux, so the tutorial should be very detailed, because for a senior is easy and fast, but for me it will take forever to learn!

Gratitude for any help!

Marcelo.

K.S. Bhaskar

Feb 9, 2023, 9:23:36 PM2/9/23
I can't advise you on GT.M, but if you want to try YottaDB which is downstream from GT.M and upward compatible with it, then Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is Supported with the latest YottaDB (r1.36). Debian 11 (Bullseye is also a great choice).

https://yottadb.net/product/get-started/ tells you how to get started, and if you want to understand more about administration and operations, then I recommend the Acculturation Guide (https://docs.yottadb.com/AcculturationGuide). Other documentation resources are at https://docs.yottadb.com

Enjoy the journey!

Regards
– Bhaskar

Benjamin Irwin

Feb 9, 2023, 9:27:12 PM2/9/23
Marcelo,

The following is my process that I just did one week ago. My Ubuntu installation was on a Mac with Parallels, but it sounds like you might already have the Ubuntu. I installed the latest Ubuntu 22.04.

This might spark some discussion but in step six it worked for me to create links from the old versions that GT.m likes to the new versions that exist on the newer systems.

Ubuntu on Parallels Installation

1. Downloaded Ubuntu Desktop from the CANONICAL.
2. Using Parallels Control Center, install Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS.
a. Install as a Desktop.
3. Signed into the Desktop.
a. Install updates as needed.
4. SFTP and SSH are already running.
5. Ran sudo apt update:
a. Updated and Upgraded as needed.
6. /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu – Link libncurses.so.5 to most recent version.
a. libncurses.so.5 -> libncurses.so.6.3
i. sudo ln -s libncurses.so.6.3 -T libncurses.so.5
b. libncursesw.so.5 -> libncursesw.so.6.3
i. sudo ln -s libncursesw.so.6.3 -T libncursesw.so.5
c. libtinfo.so.5 -> libtinfo.so.6.3
i. sudo ln -s libtinfo.so.6.3 -T libtinfo.so.5
7. Downloaded GTM from SourceForge.
a. gtm_V70005_linux_x8664_pro.tar.gz
b. Made directory: /tmp/gtm.
c. Uncompressed files from /home/biskate/downloads/gtm to /tmp/gtm.
i. Example: tar xvf gtm_V70005_linux_x8664_pro.tar.gz -C /tmp/gtm
8. Installed GTM: ./configure. No to utf8. Installed in /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V70005

marcelo...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2023, 12:32:44 AM2/10/23
Benjamin Irwin and K.S. Bhaskar,

Thank you for your attention!

I'll try it and get back to you as soon as possible!

Thanks!

Art

Feb 10, 2023, 10:51:46 AM2/10/23
What are you running windows or macos ?
if you goal is to learn mumps ... you can use docker or virutalbox,vmware etc to use images already built to
start learning .. it will be faster yottadb keeps current images on docker ... once set up download and use ,

I can guide on set once I know what you are using

marcelo...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2023, 7:18:24 PM2/11/23
Here, I'll use windows...
Thanks for the suggestion Art.

marcelo...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2023, 9:38:23 PM2/12/23
Hello!

Guys, thank you very much for your help!

marcelo@marcelo-VirtualBox:/usr/lib/fis-gtm/V7005$ ,/gtm
./gtm: 79: /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V7005/gtmprofile: pkg-config: not found
./gtm: 79: /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V7005/gtmprofile: pkg-config: not found

GTM>F I=1:1:5 W !,"Installation was a success!"

Installation was a success!
Installation was a success!
Installation was a success!
Installation was a success!
Installation was a success!

What are these messages?
./gtm: 79: /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V7005/gtmprofile: pkg-config: not found
./gtm: 79: /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V7005/gtmprofile: pkg-config: not found

Should I be concerned? If yes, what should I do to resolve them?
Apologies for the absolute ignorance about this!

Marcelo.

Hari Kishore A J

Feb 14, 2023, 10:17:31 AM2/14/23
HI Marcelo,

gtmprofile uses the package "pkg-config" to check the installed ICU version, which is required for GT.M to work in UTF-8 mode. If you install pkg-config (using apt install etc), those warnings will go away. And when you install ICU libraries, you'll be able to use GT.M in UTF-8 mode.

--Kishore

kdtop

Feb 14, 2023, 4:22:55 PM2/14/23
Marcelo,

You are going to come out ahead if you follow Bhaskar's advice. He is like the godfather of opensource mumps and used to be the primary maintainer of GT.M (to my understanding). He has since moved to YottaDB and all active development is going on there.

There is also another group that you might like: https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.mumps

Kevin

On Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 7:18:48 PM UTC-5, marcelo...@gmail.com wrote:
Message has been deleted

marcelo...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2023, 8:27:05 PM2/14/23
Kevin,

Thanks for the tips! Good to know that there are special people taking care of Mumps. I was studying about programming languages, current and old, and found Mumps in a list. Without prejudice, I started reading about the lights and shadows of this language. I was amazed at the natural logic with simple yet powerful commands. I am not a professional programmer, but I was amazed by the Mumps language.

I would be grateful for your help in solving my doubts and I ask for your patience with my lack of experience in programming, Mumps and Linux. For now I'll study Mumps using GT.M and in parallel I'll take a look at YottaDB.

Hugs to all!

marcelo...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2023, 8:29:26 PM2/14/23
Hari Kishore,

Thanks for the tips !!!!

Marcelo.

K.S. Bhaskar

Feb 14, 2023, 9:52:41 PM2/14/23
Kevin, thanks for the kind words. I did lead GT.M from 1995 to 2017 before starting YottaDB. However, I do want to acknowledge Hari Kishore, who has responded to Marcelo here. I worked with Kishore in the GT.M Group for many years, and I have a lot of respect for his knowledge and integrity. He will not give bad advice.

Regards
– Bhaskar

marcelo...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2023, 8:55:27 PM2/15/23
To All,

I am honored to receive help from all of you, without wishing to overshadow the importance of the other maintainers, it is good to know that I will be guided by masters of Mumps!

Congratulations to all GT.M and YottaDB team for the great job done!

Marcelo