How to Use OPEN, CLOSE & USE

Mayur Pawar

Jul 29, 2021, 7:05:34 AM7/29/21
Can any one tell me how to use or write a program to use " Open, Close, Use " commands ?

ed de moel

Jul 29, 2021, 9:52:23 AM7/29/21
There are brief examples at:
Open: http://71.174.62.16/Demo/AnnoStd?Frame=Main&Page=a108043&Edition=examples
Close: http://71.174.62.16/Demo/AnnoStd?Frame=Main&Page=a108025&Edition=examples
Use: http://71.174.62.16/Demo/AnnoStd?Frame=Main&Page=a108054&Edition=examples

However, since the various deviceparameters are mostly implementation dependent,
it's probably better to refer to the documentation for the implementation you
are using.

Hope this helps,
Ed

OldMster

Aug 3, 2021, 5:30:21 PM8/3/21
Hopefully you aren't in the same trap I was in when learning M many years ago. I had no other M people to ask, and was coming from a dBase, Basic, Cobal, Fortran, etc. background. I was trying to figure out how to save something to disk - I spent 3 frustrating days with the Open, Use, Write, and Close commands, but all I could find was talk about printers, terminals, etc. Finally as I looked through the 'Cookbook of Mumps', I noticed array references with a caret (^) in front. I thought, nawww, it can't be that easy. So I wrote a for loop 'F I=1:1:100 S ^DOESTHISWORK(I)="LINE "_I', ran it, then shut the machine down. I then restarted the machine, and magically I could do 'F I=1:1:100 W !,I,?5,^DOESTHISWORK(I)', and all that data was there. The light bulb went off at about 1,000 watts in my head, and I remember thinking - AWESOME.

Mark

Mike

Sep 7, 2021, 8:47:12 AM9/7/21
I had that same experience when learning Mumps! :)

rms

Sep 7, 2021, 9:21:27 PM9/7/21

rms

Sep 7, 2021, 9:27:44 PM9/7/21
Which MUMPS are you using -- YottaDB/GT.M, Caché/IRIS/Healthshare, another flavor?
Are you trying to do file IO or something else? If you give more specifics we can perhaps provide more help.