HELP DOUBTS MSM / MUMPS / UNIX

TI HRTGB

Jul 7, 2022, 10:35:40 AM7/7/22
Hi, can anyone tell me how I should do the parameter calculation below in the MSM / MUMPS of Intersystems?

STAP SIZE
STACK SIZE
MAX MODIFIED BUFFERS
DISK I / O RATE
SLICE COMMANDS
PARTITION SIZE
BUFFER POOL SIZE
NUMBER OF MUSERVER PROCESSES

We have a rolling MSM that suffers from hangovers from the Activate service and the Workstation service several times a day and we are unable to determine if those hangouts are related to the number of users or overloading the system. There are times when MSM / UNIX freezes and we lose any interaction with MSM, we have to perform a kill directly on the service to start again.

Maury Pepper

Jul 8, 2022, 10:43:09 AM7/8/22
You need an MSM expert who can access your system and determine the best
settings. That person should also be able to recommend how to update the
overall system so that it is not overloaded. It might need simple
adjustments or it might need additional hardware.

TI HRTGB

Jul 8, 2022, 12:35:26 PM7/8/22
Yes I agree with you. Regarding the hardware, I don't think it's necessary to add anything, because the MSM was developed in the 90's and at that time the hardware was much inferior to the current ones, so an IBM AIX server with 8gb of memory is more than enough. I posted here to see if I can find any MSM/UNIX experts, however, it's difficult..

OldMster

Jul 8, 2022, 3:08:22 PM7/8/22
Depends on what's happened since the system was installed. If the user count has increased, then 8 gigabytes might not be enough anymore. I always start with more memory first - it's relatively inexpensive, and frequently solves performance problems. Nothing kills performance more than memory swapping in an active process.

TI HRTGB

Jul 8, 2022, 3:52:28 PM7/8/22
I agree, however, it's no use having memory available in the operating system and not having the proper settings for the MSM to use that memory.
I can have 64GB on IBM/AIX, however, the MSM taking advantage of only 2GB through the wrong settings.
So I would like to understand how to perform the proper calculations of these MSM parameters to correctly size MSM memory so that it uses all available memory on IBM/AIX.

TI HRTGB

Jul 15, 2022, 8:11:31 AM7/15/22
Any MSM/MUMPS experts?

Maury Pepper

Jul 15, 2022, 12:49:35 PM7/15/22
Here, on May 23, you heard from Flávio Fornazier who is also from Brazil
and is a MSM-Unix and Workstation expert. I have worked on two projects
with him, and I'm confident that he can help with your situation.
Otherwise, I think you need to contact InterSystems for help.