Norman Black, main programmer of Stony Brook (ADW) M2 compiler?

Edward De Jong

Feb 10, 2021, 3:44:58 AM2/10/21
Does anyone in this group know Norman Black? I wanted to send him a fruit basket for all the great work he did back in the day for M2. I relied on his compiler for my daily bread, and few hundred dollars i paid for the compiler seems too low.

Chris Burrows

Feb 10, 2021, 4:04:08 PM2/10/21
On Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at 7:14:58 PM UTC+10:30, Edward De Jong wrote:
> Does anyone in this group know Norman Black? I wanted to send him a fruit basket for all the great work he did back in the day for M2. I relied on his compiler for my daily bread, and few hundred dollars i paid for the compiler seems too low.

That's an excellent idea. I don't recall having had any personal contact with Norman but the latest email address I could find for Stony Brook is dated 2004:

ston...@ix.netcom.com

M2 compiler prices in the late 1980's onwards were ridiculously low as developers thought that they had to match the price of 'competing' products from other vendors. They probably would not have survived either if they hadn't. Unfortunately, marketing genius always seems to trump technical genius. If it had been feasible in the pre-internet days to provide free trial versions the (computing) world might now be a different place.

Fruttenboel

Feb 11, 2021, 7:01:35 AM2/11/21
On Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at 10:04:08 PM UTC+1, Chris Burrows wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at 7:14:58 PM UTC+10:30, Edward De Jong wrote:
> > Does anyone in this group know Norman Black? I wanted to send him a fruit basket for all the great work he did back in the day for M2. I relied on his compiler for my daily bread, and few hundred dollars i paid for the compiler seems too low.
> That's an excellent idea. I don't recall having had any personal contact with Norman but the latest email address I could find for Stony Brook is dated 2004:
>
> ston..
>
> M2 compiler prices in the late 1980's onwards were ridiculously low as developers thought that they had to match the price of 'competing' products from other vendors. They probably would not have survived either if they hadn't. Unfortunately, marketing genius always seems to trump technical genius. If it had been feasible in the pre-internet days to provide free trial versions the (computing) world might now be a different place.

AFAIK Niklaus Wirth is still alive. You could ask him or Jurg Gutknecht.

tbreeden

Feb 11, 2021, 10:12:08 PM2/11/21
> > On Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at 7:14:58 PM UTC+10:30, Edward De Jong wrote:
> > > Does anyone in this group know Norman Black? I wanted to send him a fruit basket for all the great work he did back in the day for M2. I relied on his compiler for my daily bread, and few hundred dollars i paid for the compiler seems too low.

That sounds great. I'm in the same position and would like to contribute. I was lucky enough to be able to use Stony Brook for a number of projects when I was working at University. He was very helpful and fixed a bug I once found.

Searching I found his LinkedIn entry:
Norman Black

Senior Software Developer at Saperion Inc

Thousand Oaks, California, United States 63 connections Experience

SAPERION AG
Senior Software Developer

Company Name

SAPERION AG
Dates Employed Jul 2004 – Present
Employment Duration 16 yrs 8 mos
Stony Brook Software
Software Developer

Company Name

Stony Brook Software
Dates Employed Apr 1990 – Jul 2004
Employment Duration 14 yrs 4 mos

Started as technical support and became lead developer for development tools. Company was sold to Saperion AG.

Without a LinkedIn account it would not give me his Contact Info, but if anyone does have one that may help.

Tom

Chris Burrows

Feb 12, 2021, 8:01:27 AM2/12/21
I'm on LinkedIn but that doesn't help to get his Contact info. However, I've sent him a connection invitation with a message letting him know that members of this group want to contact him.

Rainard Buchmann

Feb 12, 2021, 12:24:02 PM2/12/21
"Chris Burrows" <cfbso...@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On Friday, February 12, 2021 at 1:42:08 PM UTC+10:30, tbreeden wrote:
> That sounds great. I'm in the same position and would like to contribute.
> I was lucky enough to be able to use Stony Brook for a number of projects
> when I was working at University. He was very helpful and fixed a bug I
> once found.
>
> Searching I found his LinkedIn entry:
> Norman Black
>
> Senior Software Developer at Saperion Inc
>
> Thousand Oaks, California, United States 63 connections Experience
>
> SAPERION AG
> Senior Software Developer
>
> Company Name
>
> SAPERION AG
> Dates Employed Jul 2004 - Present
> Employment Duration 16 yrs 8 mos
> Stony Brook Software
> Software Developer
>
> Company Name
>
> Stony Brook Software
> Dates Employed Apr 1990 - Jul 2004
> Employment Duration 14 yrs 4 mos
>
> Started as technical support and became lead developer for development
> tools. Company was sold to Saperion AG.
>
> Without a LinkedIn account it would not give me his Contact Info, but if
> anyone does have one that may help.
>
> Tom

I'm on LinkedIn but that doesn't help to get his Contact info. However, I've
sent him a connection invitation with a message letting him know that
members of this group want to contact him.

I'm networked with Norman at LinkedIn, it tells me me his email :
norm...@gmail.com

Fons De Wolf

Mar 18, 2021, 6:17:33 AM3/18/21
Op woensdag 10 februari 2021 om 09:44:58 UTC+1 schreef Edward De Jong:
> Does anyone in this group know Norman Black? I wanted to send him a fruit basket for all the great work he did back in the day for M2. I relied on his compiler for my daily bread, and few hundred dollars i paid for the compiler seems too low.

I have known Norman Black and Richard Gogesch, the owner of Stony Brook, very well. I was in their office in Thousand Oaks (CA) a couple of times.
In 1999 .. 2000 Norman has written a VBA compiler to work under Pythagoras CAD+GIS software. I'm using the VBA in Pythagoras nearly every day for my work, so I'm very gratefull to him for the excellent work he did.
The M2 compiler (ADW Software did buy a licence from Saperion), is now further maintained and used by Pythagoras.

After the company was bought by Saperion (later sold to Lexmark, ...) I had ocasionally contact with Norman, but after a few years I did not succeed to reach him, nor Richard anymore. We were looking for his help.
I guess at a certain moment Saperion stopped the CA office.

Fons De Wolf
ADW Software

Note: you can get the newest ADW M2 compiler for free. Just contact me!

rob

Apr 28, 2021, 8:01:42 PM4/28/21
I'm interested in the newest ADW M2 compiler. How do I contact you?
I can be reached at rob at drrob one dot com

--rob

rob

Apr 28, 2021, 8:33:25 PM4/28/21
On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 03:17:33 -0700 (PDT), Fons De Wolf
<fons.d...@botanico.be> wrote:

I downloaded the March 2021 version from modula2.org

Still no-go for me.

It's not a console app; it uses TextWindows. When I try to link the
pgm, I get this error
Imported modules need compilation
IMP WIN32
IMP WINUSER