Source code for the Lilith's single pass Modula-2 compiler has been recovered.

Jos Dreesen

Nov 12, 2021, 12:43:12 PM11/12/21
Subject already tells it all : I managed to extract the sourcecode for the Lilith's single pass Modula-2 compiler from the harddisk of the Lilith on display in the Museum of Kommunikation in Berne / Switzerland.

This singlepass compiler was used as the basis for many followups : the IBM RT port, Macintosh port and and...

Thanks to Chris Burrows forrecognizing that it was a complete set, not a very partial one as I suspected at first.

Jos

Martin Brown

Nov 12, 2021, 4:36:30 PM11/12/21
Well done!

Is there any surviving Lilith hardware in full working condition?
I recall seeing a couple in the computing department at ETH Zurich.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Brian Knoblauch

Nov 13, 2021, 10:37:20 AM11/13/21
Very nice! Congrats!

nemo

Nov 13, 2021, 12:49:03 PM11/13/21
Congratulations, Jos, and many kudos!

May I ask whether the source is? (I could not find in on your ftp site.)

N.

Chris Burrows

Nov 17, 2021, 4:14:12 AM11/17/21
A big thank you to Jos for his efforts in tracking this down. There is a link for you to download a copy of the source code under the heading:

Single-Pass Modula-2 Compiler Source Code (Lilith M-code)
https://www.cfbsoftware.com/modula2/

Chris