Installing Modula-2 on MacOS Big Sur

Deadmarshal

Sep 22, 2021, 2:52:12 AMSep 22
Hi, How can I install Modula-2 on Mac? Preferably, I want to install gnu modula-2 gm2 compiler but couldn't. It downloaded 800mb!

Nemo

Sep 22, 2021, 9:35:21 AMSep 22
On 2021-09-22 02:52, Deadmarshal wrote:
> Hi, How can I install Modula-2 on Mac?

Are you are on Intel or M1?

> Preferably, I want to install gnu modula-2 gm2 compiler but couldn't. It downloaded 800mb!

Gm2 is built on gcc so downloading the former means downloading the
latter. Also, I recall that the default gm2 build is with full
debugging info, hence larger binaries.

N.

Deadmarshal

Sep 22, 2021, 9:47:31 AMSep 22
I am on Intel. If Gm2 is not good, please give me the link of a good Mac compiler with install instructions to install it.

Deadmarshal

Sep 24, 2021, 8:05:24 AMSep 24
Don't we have a Modula-2 compiler for Mac? Why nobody answers?

Martin Brown

Sep 24, 2021, 4:42:28 PMSep 24
There were a couple of 68k Modula 2 compilers that worked OK on the old
Macs back in the day. I haven't kept track of which M2's would work on
the modern Intel based ones. Mocka might be a reasonable place to start.

https://github.com/trijezdci/MOCKA

The reason nobody answers is that there is hardly anyone left...

I still follow this group but I haven't done any serious development in
M2 now for more than two decades. The world has moved on!

XDS works pretty well on Intel and Windoze.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Brian Knoblauch

Sep 24, 2021, 6:07:19 PMSep 24
On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 8:05:24 AM UTC-4, adeadm...@gmail.com wrote:
> Don't we have a Modula-2 compiler for Mac? Why nobody answers?

Unfortunately I don't even really know anyone that uses Mac these days. With OS X being BSD at the core though I'd expect some *nix based Modula-2 has a chance of being ported/working. Easiest option though might be to spin up a VM with Windows 10 or even *nix. Windows Modula-2 compilers are your best choice, but if you don't like Windows you should be able to get Modula-2 up and running on *nix.

Chris Burrows

Sep 24, 2021, 6:19:04 PMSep 24
I didn't answer because you didn't give sufficient information about:
a) why you wanted a Modula-2 compiler?
b) why you particularly wanted to install gnu modula-2?
c) why you had a problem installing gnu modula-2. Was it just the size that was a problem?
d) was there any particular feature of MacOS Big Sur that you need support for?
e) does it matter whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit?
f) were you looking for freeware or a commercially supported version?
etc. etc.

The more you tell us about your requirements, and which are 'must haves' or 'nice to have' the more we can help you with exactly what you want or maybe some alternative possibilities.

P1 Modula-2 is a commercial Modula-2 compiler for MacOS that is still actively maintained:

https://modula2.awiedemann.de/

If you want to investigate other Modula-2 compilers for other systems, here's a comprehensive list:

https://freepages.modula2.org/compi.html

Nemo

Sep 24, 2021, 6:59:42 PMSep 24
Unfortunately, I know of no good free MacOS compiler. (The p1 compiler
sells for 500 Euro.) You could try the Homebrew m2c but it requires a
bit of fiddling to install it.

N.