Experimental 100% async language: Kopi

Mike Austin

Sep 20, 2021, 5:50:47 PMSep 20
Hi all! Yes, I keep popping in and out of this group, but the names look familiar and looks like still a good amount of discussion going on here which is great.

In the back of my mind I always thought, what if a language was mostly async? That doesn't mean code would run rampant, but would be coordinated by promises and "await"s (available in many languages). Async, but not necessarily concurrent, you could say.

And the language was born. Still a lot to work on, but basic syntax works, as well as coroutines:

https://github.com/mikeaustin/kopi

Coroutines in an async environment are actually just functions that resolve() early but keep running. Simple. The rest of the language is also simple, as an experiment as to how far I could get with only some functions and literals (no keywords).

Happy coding!