UCB Logo

DJL

Sep 9, 2018, 12:31:32 PM9/9/18
Hi

Seeking help:

Does anyone know how to make UCB Logo open by default to selected a specific folder in Windows 10? After installation Logo defaults to the User Documents folder for save/load operations. I can't figure out how to change that so it points to a different drive and folder.

Also, I don't think there is a change directory command inside Logo itself which might be another way to do it. However, I am thinking about classroom use so typing out long pathnames would be a bit of a non-no!

Thanks for any help and advice.

DL

aleksey...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2018, 4:16:10 PM9/30/18
воскресенье, 9 сентября 2018 г., 19:31:32 UTC+3 пользователь DJL написал:
Hi DL,

You can customise the UCBLogo interpreter behavior (path, color, font etc.) by creating startup.lg file in the User Documents folder and put:

setprefix "c://logo ;or whatever folder name you want instead "logo"

into the file, using your favorite text editor.

Alternatively, you can create the startup.lg file form UCBLogo prompt directly by typing:

? editfile "startup.lg

and using built-it editor to add the line. After that use Alt-A to close and accept changes in the editor.

Since you do that, the prefix will be used as the implicit beginning of filenames in LOAD, SAVE, OPENREAD, OPENWRITE, OPENAPPEND and OPENUPDATE commands.
Please note, that the EDITFILE command continues to use the User Documents folder by default and you should still provide full path to the command as an argument.
It works fine on Windows 7, but it should work on Windows 8, 10 too.
For additional customisation options, please read the Berkeley Logo User Manual.

UCBLogo is a wonderful environment for education purposes. Please consider to use the amazing Computer Science Logo Style trilogy by Dr. Brian Harvey in accompany with the interpreter.
If you need more multimedia than UCBLogo can provide, try David Constanzo's FMSWLogo, an updated version of MSWLogo, a Windows-only version with multimedia and other enhancements.

Good luck with your work!

Alexey.

DJL

Oct 1, 2018, 9:32:21 AM10/1/18
Thanks Alexey

That doesn't work.

I've tried putting startup.lg in several places (the install directory as well as the directory I want to work in) but it makes no difference.

I know it's somewhat dated (written for an old style DOS environment?), but it makes life hard if there is no way from inside the program to check which folder one is logged into and no way to change the CWD from there.

Have checked all the manuals but can't find anything there. Looks like that is not possible (which seems mad!).

If you have more tips I would be grateful to receive them.

aleksey...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2018, 4:14:55 PM10/1/18
понедельник, 1 октября 2018 г., 16:32:21 UTC+3 пользователь DJL написал:
Hi DL!

startup.lg file should be created in the default Windows User Documents folder (e.g. "c:\Users\Alexey\Documents\startup.lg" if the user name is Alexey).
And It is only possible place for the file in Windows.
I've checked things out on Windows 10 with UCBLOGO 6.0 running. All work well.
If the explanation is still unclear for you, I can make screencast to show how-to set the things properly and provide you with the link on it.

I'd not to say "an old style DOS environment", I'd prefer to say in this case "unix-like approach", that is still powerful, effective and actual :-)
So, there are several way to manage workspace in UCBLOGO from the command prompt.

One of the alternative way is not to use LOAD and SAVE at all, but maintain a workspace file yourself, controlling the order in which definitions appear, maintaining comments in the file, and so on. It is possible with the EDITFILE command. Here is the syntax for the command:

editfile "c://logo//hello.lg

I've assume that "c:\logo" folder is already created. Please note, that the argument to EDITFILE is represents a path to a file for editing, so file will be created as "c:\logo\hello.lg".

To avoid typing long filenames you can do something like this:

to e :file
editfile word "c://logo// :file
end

After that, you can edit files just type:

e "hello.lg

The effect of the command is that you creating the hello.lg file in c:\logo directory. The same command serves for further editing the file.

The E procedure definition may be putted into startup.lg file to load automatically in the interpreter.

I hope that the tips will be useful for you.
and I wish all the best with the UCBLOGO exploration!

Alexey.