An example

Richmond

Apr 6, 2023, 7:33:26 AM4/6/23
I skimmed through the UCB Logo manual, but didn't see any examples of
programs to draw pictures. All I could remember of Logo was Acornsoft
Logo.

Then I though, why not ask ChatGPT to write a program to draw a square?
and it did.

Here is an example I wrote to use the square:

to square :size
repeat 4 [fd :size lt 90]
end

to poly :size
repeat 36 [square :size lt 10]
end

(Tested with QLogo).

bill

Apr 6, 2023, 7:52:19 AM4/6/23
How impressive. ChatGPT is just as smart as a six year old.

bill

Richmond

Apr 6, 2023, 7:58:53 AM4/6/23
Do you think a six year old could make sense of the UCB Logo manual? I
don't.

bill

Apr 6, 2023, 12:48:06 PM4/6/23
Probably not. But you don't have to read bad documentation to learn how
to use a language. My daughter did Logo when she was six and so did my
grandson. It really takes very little knowledge "to square".

People need to get over ChatGPT. To paraphtase someone with a lot
more experience than most of the people in the business today, it is
little more than Eliza warmed over.

bill

Richmond

Apr 6, 2023, 1:42:03 PM4/6/23
I used Acornsoft Logo a very long time ago. Today on a whim I installed
QLogo, and typed:

DEFINE SQUARE

But it just kept saying it didn't know what square meant. I couldn't
find any manual. But I read that it was based on UCB Logo, and that has
a manual, so I consulted it. In the section on turtle graphics I didn't
see any examples of definions of words.

People only need to understand that ChatGPT is not intelligence, but it
is a useful tool. I've also got it to write programs in Perl, which I
know nothing about. But looking up and understanding the syntax of new
languages is tedious and not particularly relevent to understanding
algorithims or concepts.