Demise of 6.001

73 views
Skip to first unread message

Patrick Collison

unread,
Nov 15, 2006, 8:26:55 PM11/15/06
to
I don't think there's been any official announcement, so I guess a few
people here may be interested to learn that MIT are phasing out 6.001.
It's going to be replaced with some kind of hybrid programming-robotics
class (I think it will use Python, but I'm not sure). Details are still
sketchy (the new syllabus is being worked out), but the faculty are
open enough about the fact to tell freshmen (like myself) not to take
the class. 6.001 will still be offered next semester, but its future
after that is very murky, and it will definitely (I'm told) be gone
within a year or two.

Liu Fung Sin

unread,
Nov 15, 2006, 9:58:29 PM11/15/06
to
Maybe Hal Abelson and Gerald Jay Sussman are going to retire or have
more important things to do and that no one is brave enough to take
over (and live up to the standard)?

SICP is really a classic. Long live SICP.

Ralph Richard Cook

unread,
Nov 15, 2006, 11:09:44 PM11/15/06
to
Why would someone not take effing 6.001 and SICP just because it's
being phased out. Sounds like a reason TO take it. Not necessarily
you, Patrick, you win awards for desiging Lisp dialects, but
definitely the average freshman...

Barry Margolin

unread,
Nov 15, 2006, 11:26:06 PM11/15/06
to
In article <51pnl2139v1i1l0a4...@4ax.com>,

Ralph Richard Cook <ralphc...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Why would someone not take effing 6.001 and SICP just because it's
> being phased out. Sounds like a reason TO take it.

If it will no longer be part of the requirement for an EECS degree, you
might want to use the time that the course would take for something that
WILL be. If you take this class, it's effectively an elective, and
there's only so much room in your schedule for electives.

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
*** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***
*** PLEASE don't copy me on replies, I'll read them in the group ***

Scot

unread,
Nov 16, 2006, 12:39:11 AM11/16/06
to
Hal is in fact helping with this new course. I've seen him in the lab
weekly while students taking the class work on its projects
(understanding them to a lesser degree, TA's comment).

I'll be sad to see 6.001 go...

Ray

unread,
Nov 16, 2006, 3:01:01 AM11/16/06
to

Patrick Collison wrote:

Was there any specific reason given? It sounds like an excellent
course. It seems funny that they are thinking of dropping it now that
Lisp is picking up again...

crepitus

unread,
Nov 16, 2006, 8:18:36 AM11/16/06
to

Rob Thorpe

unread,
Nov 16, 2006, 8:34:22 AM11/16/06
to

Didn't you write a lisp interpreter of some sort? SICP would probably
have been going over old ground for you. Anyway, hopefully the new
course will be good. Though I do share Minsky's view that robotics is
distracting, see http://www.wired.com/news/technology/1,58714-0.html (I
wouldn't be quite as critical as he is though).

Also, consider yourself a member of LUIGI in abstentia
http://groups.google.ie/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_frm/thread/94442bbe61012005/c5d87039ea217db3#c5d87039ea217db3
It's not a very good users group, the treasurer ran off with the money,
and we never meet because there are no pubs to go to in Ireland.

Pierre THIERRY

unread,
Nov 16, 2006, 11:13:25 AM11/16/06
to
Le Thu, 16 Nov 2006 00:01:01 -0800, Ray a écrit:
> Was there any specific reason given? It sounds like an excellent
> course. It seems funny that they are thinking of dropping it now that
> Lisp is picking up again...

What makes you say it is picking up again?

Curiously,
Nowhere man
--
nowhe...@levallois.eu.org
OpenPGP 0xD9D50D8A

dus...@gmail.com

unread,
Nov 16, 2006, 1:18:24 PM11/16/06
to

I just received my copy of SICP in the mail after hearing such great
things about it. Was there anything to 6.001 besides the material in
the book? Will just reading through it give me a pretty good idea of
what was involved in the course itself?

jon....@gmail.com

unread,
Nov 16, 2006, 1:59:53 PM11/16/06
to

These video lectures should go well with the book.

http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/classes/6.001/abelson-sussman-lectures/

jon....@gmail.com

unread,
Nov 16, 2006, 2:01:43 PM11/16/06
to

Pedro Kröger

unread,
Nov 16, 2006, 10:45:59 PM11/16/06
to
dus...@gmail.com writes:

> I just received my copy of SICP in the mail after hearing such great
> things about it. Was there anything to 6.001 besides the material in
> the book? Will just reading through it give me a pretty good idea of
> what was involved in the course itself?

You may want the Instructor's Manual [1], also, the website [2] has good
stuff like code from the book, errata, etc.

Pedro Kroger

Footnotes:
[1] http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=3849

[2] http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/


Tracy R Reed

unread,
Nov 16, 2006, 6:47:16 PM11/16/06
to
"Patrick Collison" <patrick...@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't think there's been any official announcement, so I guess a few
> people here may be interested to learn that MIT are phasing out 6.001.
> It's going to be replaced with some kind of hybrid programming-robotics
> class (I think it will use Python, but I'm not sure). Details are still

I am new to functional programming (been reading Usenet off and on for
years but this is my first posting to this group) although I have been
admiring it from a distance for a year or two. I have been watching my
downloaded copies of the 6.001 lectures and been very impressed. It
became quite apparent why they would use Lisp (scheme) to teach an intro
to computer programming class. Now I am shocked to hear that they are
changing. Any reason given why? Has Abelson lost his religion? I am a
big fan of python also but it just isn't functional programming and it
will be difficult to cleanly demonstrate some of the things they
demonstrate in with Lisp in 6.001.

--
Tracy R Reed
http://ultraviolet.org

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages