cleaning up the Lisp news group

Mark Tarver

Dec 15, 2021, 12:21:21 AM12/15/21
You seem to have a plague of messages in Italian. I'm noticing what looks like the same in the Prolog group. Anybody tried to cure this problem?

Mark

Paul Rubin

Dec 15, 2021, 12:45:47 AM12/15/21
Mark Tarver <dr.mt...@gmail.com> writes:
> You seem to have a plague of messages in Italian.

You just noticed? It's been in a bunch of language groups for years.

> Anybody tried to cure this problem?

I can post or email my gnus.el score file that gets rid of most of it,
if you use gnus. It basically filters out anything with a dozen or so
obvious keywords in the subject or author lines. A little bit still
gets through.

Steingold

Dec 15, 2021, 10:14:17 AM12/15/21
> * Mark Tarver <qe.zg...@tznvy.pbz> [2021-12-14 21:21:18 -0800]:
>
> You seem to have a plague of messages in Italian. I'm noticing what
> looks like the same in the Prolog group. Anybody tried to cure this
> problem?

I use Emacs/Gnus with the following global score file

(("subject"
;; many non-lower-case chars is a bad sign
("[^a-z\n]\\{50\\}" -200 nil R)
("[^a-z\n]\\{100\\}" -500 nil R)
("[^a-z\n]\\{150\\}" -2000 nil R)
("[[:nonascii:]]\\{5\\}" -200 nil r) ; 5 non-ASCII in a row
("[[:multibyte:]]\\{5\\}" -200 nil r) ; 5 multibyte in a row
("[ \\t]+[0-9]\\{5,\\}$" -500 nil r))) ; 5+ digits at the EOL

Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2022
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com
https://mideasttruth.com https://www.memritv.org http://think-israel.org
Never trust a man who can count to 1024 on his fingers.

LORENZO PIACENTINI. LAZARD. GRAN LOGGIA SVIZZERA

Dec 15, 2021, 3:05:31 PM12/15/21
On Wednesday, December 15, 2021 at 6:21:21 AM UTC+1, Mark Tarver wrote:
> You seem to have a plague of messages in Italian. I'm noticing what looks like the same in the Prolog group. Anybody tried to cure this problem?
>
> Mark
SON OF A BASTARD BITCH #MARKTAVER, PIECE OF SHIT AND PEDOPHILE MARK TAVER, GO TO FUCK THAT BITCH OF YOUR MOTHER AND GO TO MAKE BLOW JOBS TO PEDOPHILE ASSASSIN SILVIO BERLUSCONI WHO IS SENDING YOU HERE, TO STOP US! YOU NEVER WILL, BASTARD NAZI KUKLUKLANIST!

George Neuner

Dec 15, 2021, 4:06:43 PM12/15/21
This garbage has been appearing in many groups. Some of us would like
to find the poster(s) and gift them a Sicilian necktie.

YMMV.

Spiros Bousbouras

Dec 15, 2021, 6:28:23 PM12/15/21
On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 21:21:18 -0800 (PST)
Mark Tarver <dr.mt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You seem to have a plague of messages in Italian.

Why "You" and not "We" ? Who are you addressing ?

> I'm noticing what looks like the same in the Prolog group.

It has appeared on many groups over a long time although the abuser seems
to have a preference for comp.lang.lisp for some reason. At present I
I can see posts of this nature on comp.misc and comp.lang.cobol .

> Anybody tried to cure this problem?

If you mean some central authority , unmoderated newsgroups do not have any
such thing. One connects to a newsserver either directly or indirectly (for
example through a web interface like googlegroups , as you do) and from there
each post propagates through thousand of newsservers all over the world.
Each server has their own filtering rules. For example , if I access
comp.lang.lisp through news.aioe.org I see fewer of the Italian posts than
if I connect through news2.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de , presumably because
the former has some filtering rules in place which eliminate some of the
Italian posts. See also
https://news.aioe.org/documentation/access-restrictions/ :
3. Forbidden expressions in the body of articles
[...]
Daniele Minotti
Italian lawyer defamed on USENET

.So I think the abuser used to post through news.aioe.org but was eventually
prevented so he switched to using googlegroups.

Newsservers generally also have some way for reporting abuse (for example
https://news.aioe.org/manual/complaints/) but this tends to apply to posts
made through the server rather than simply posts propagating through the
server. So it wouldn't make sense to use that page to complain about the
Italian posts and , even if you did , the best you could hope for is that
they would get eliminated from news.aioe.org but you would still see them
accessing comp.lang.lisp through googlegroups. I think googlegroups have
some way to report abuse but , as various people who did report abuses have
said , such reports tend to simply get ignored.

So it comes down to this : as other have pointed out , on unmoderated usenet
you do your own filtering. I don't think googlegroups provides such
functionality so , if you want to do filtering , you must switch to using a
newsreader. Discussion of newsreaders happens on news.software.readers .I'm
not sure if it's on topic there to ask how to start using one but it may be.
I don't think that people would really mind even if you were to ask here.

--
vlaho.ninja/prog

Spiros Bousbouras

Dec 15, 2021, 7:31:45 PM12/15/21
On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 23:28:17 -0000 (UTC)
Spiros Bousbouras <spi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 21:21:18 -0800 (PST)
> Mark Tarver <dr.mt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You seem to have a plague of messages in Italian.
[...]

> So it comes down to this : as other have pointed out , on unmoderated usenet
> you do your own filtering. I don't think googlegroups provides such
> functionality so , if you want to do filtering , you must switch to using a
> newsreader.

Actually I think that some web browsers provide for a way to insert some
custom CSS or javascript on specific pages before displaying them. So it
might be possible to use such functionality on your browser to eliminate the
Italian posts when accessing the groups you are interested in through
googlegroups. But I suspect that such methods will be more complicated and
less reliable than switching to using a newsreader.

> Discussion of newsreaders happens on news.software.readers .I'm
> not sure if it's on topic there to ask how to start using one but it may be.
> I don't think that people would really mind even if you were to ask here.

--
To turn $100 into $110 is work. To turn $100 million into $110
million is inevitable.

luserdroog

Dec 16, 2021, 8:01:38 PM12/16/21
On Wednesday, December 15, 2021 at 5:28:23 PM UTC-6, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:

> Newsservers generally also have some way for reporting abuse (for example
> https://news.aioe.org/manual/complaints/) but this tends to apply to posts
> made through the server rather than simply posts propagating through the
> server. So it wouldn't make sense to use that page to complain about the
> Italian posts and , even if you did , the best you could hope for is that
> they would get eliminated from news.aioe.org but you would still see them
> accessing comp.lang.lisp through googlegroups. I think googlegroups have
> some way to report abuse but , as various people who did report abuses have
> said , such reports tend to simply get ignored.

True, but it's actually worse than just ignoring the reports. If you select the
"hateful and abusive" checkbox instead of just "spam" enough times in a given
period GG locks out the whole group for an indefinite period and nobody gets
to access the group at all to read existing messages.

Spiros Bousbouras

Dec 16, 2021, 8:15:38 PM12/16/21
Noone who reads through googlegroups , the rest can access it just fine.

And actually do we know for a fact that this is the reason why a number
of groups were unavailable this year or last year from googlegroups ? I
didn't read all the discussions but , with the parts I read , people were
just speculating.

Stéphane CARPENTIER

Dec 17, 2021, 3:56:59 PM12/17/21
Le 15-12-2021, Spiros Bousbouras <spi...@gmail.com> a écrit :
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 21:21:18 -0800 (PST)
> Mark Tarver <dr.mt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anybody tried to cure this problem?
>
> If you mean some central authority , unmoderated newsgroups do not have any
> such thing.

In the fr.* newsgroups, they are canceled at will by a bot, but it's not
a curacy.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Spiros Bousbouras

Dec 17, 2021, 9:56:39 PM12/17/21
On 17 Dec 2021 20:56:54 GMT
Stéphane CARPENTIER <s...@fiat-linux.fr> wrote:
> Le 15-12-2021, Spiros Bousbouras <spi...@gmail.com> a écrit :
> > On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 21:21:18 -0800 (PST)
> > Mark Tarver <dr.mt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Anybody tried to cure this problem?
> >
> > If you mean some central authority , unmoderated newsgroups do not have any
> > such thing.
>
> In the fr.* newsgroups, they are canceled at will by a bot, but it's not
> a curacy.

I wouldn't expect it to be a cure since most newsservers do not honour
cancel messages.

luserdroog

Dec 17, 2021, 11:58:24 PM12/17/21
Touche. Just speculation on my part as well. It's so seductive as a theory
that I keep forgetting I don't actually know it to be true. Good catch.

SIMONA PREMOLI FOSTER. EX AMANTE MARINA BERLUSCONI

Dec 18, 2021, 12:13:00 PM12/18/21
FUCK THAT BITCH OF YOUR MOTHER, YOU BASTARD PEDOPHILE NAZI BERLUSCONICCHIO MARK TAVER!
FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Zyni Moë

Dec 19, 2021, 2:30:39 PM12/19/21
Mark Tarver <dr.mt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You seem to have a plague of messages in Italian. I'm noticing what
> looks like the same in the Prolog group. Anybody tried to cure this problem?

Disturbing thing about some of the followups: clearly is a human doing
this, not a machine. Not sure what is wrong with their mind but ... a lot.

--
the small snake

George Neuner

Dec 19, 2021, 11:24:42 PM12/19/21
On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 21:21:18 -0800 (PST), Mark Tarver
<dr.mt...@gmail.com> wrote:

Looks like you have a fan! Who knew spammers could read?
Message has been deleted

Po Lu

Jan 10, 2022, 12:09:17 AM1/10/22
Steingold <s...@gnu.org> writes:

> I use Emacs/Gnus with the following global score file
>
> (("subject"
> ;; many non-lower-case chars is a bad sign
> ("[^a-z\n]\\{50\\}" -200 nil R)
> ("[^a-z\n]\\{100\\}" -500 nil R)
> ("[^a-z\n]\\{150\\}" -2000 nil R)
> ("[[:nonascii:]]\\{5\\}" -200 nil r) ; 5 non-ASCII in a row
> ("[[:multibyte:]]\\{5\\}" -200 nil r) ; 5 multibyte in a row
> ("[ \\t]+[0-9]\\{5,\\}$" -500 nil r))) ; 5+ digits at the EOL

+1, the contents of mine are almost identical to yours. It works very
well.

Sidney Reilley

Jan 13, 2022, 6:39:42 PM1/13/22
Duke
** Text only please. Bottom post is best for me **

Sidney Reilley

Jan 13, 2022, 6:46:03 PM1/13/22