Web-frontend to a game of Go

Lars Rune Nøstdal

Apr 11, 2006, 3:13:20 PM4/11/06
Hello c.l.l.,
I'm working on some web-stuff, and for fun I've created a webfrontend
to a game of Go to test it out:

http://nostdal.org:5050/sw/SWGo/SWGo/

It's currently only tested with Firefox (1.5.0.1) and Opera (8.52).

Hope you like it even though it's still kind of buggy and incomplete; I
only have a couple of months experience with Lisp (and JavaScript).
You'll find the source code on my homepage.

--
mvh,
Lars Rune Nøstdal

Eric Lavigne

Apr 11, 2006, 4:10:26 PM4/11/06
> I'm working on some web-stuff, and for fun I've created a webfrontend
> to a game of Go to test it out:
>
> http://nostdal.org:5050/sw/SWGo/SWGo/

I like it. A big problem, though, is trying to figure out the last move
played. This program would be much easier to use if the most recently
played stone were marked somehow. Occassionally I don't notice when the
computer plays a move, so when it takes a long time to decide I'm not
sure whether I just missed it.

Lars Rune Nøstdal

Apr 11, 2006, 4:38:08 PM4/11/06
Ok, I've just added a "Thinking.."-widget - I'll add a mark on last
played stone soon. :)

Ties Stuij

Apr 11, 2006, 9:08:16 PM4/11/06
He that was my idea...! almost...
very cool i must say.
i'll check your source some day and your webserver,

Ties

codyk........@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2006, 1:15:47 AM4/12/06
I assume you are going to add the ability to pass (and thus end the
game) at some point?

Frank Buss

Apr 12, 2006, 2:42:11 AM4/12/06
Lars Rune Nřstdal wrote:

> Hello c.l.l.,
> I'm working on some web-stuff, and for fun I've created a webfrontend
> to a game of Go to test it out:
>
> http://nostdal.org:5050/sw/SWGo/SWGo/
>
> It's currently only tested with Firefox (1.5.0.1) and Opera (8.52).

In Internet Explorer 6 it looks like this:

http://www.frank-buss.de/tmp/go.png

But with Firefox it works. There were once a problem that a stone of the
computer was not displayed, so placing to a field which looks empty
returned "illegal move". Redrawing the whole board with "undo" (or opening
it again in the browser) solved this problem.

What do you think of a Macromedia Flash interface, like my Trisoli:
http://www.frank-buss.de/trisoli/
This would work on every browser with a Flash Plugin, which are about 98 %
of all systems, if you are creating Flash 6 output:
http://www.macromedia.com/software/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetration.html

--
Frank Buss, f...@frank-buss.de

Lars Rune Nøstdal

Apr 12, 2006, 4:48:48 AM4/12/06
A Flash-based solution would probably be better and cooler in many
ways. But the authoring-tool does not work on my OS, and I'd have to
steal it and a new OS to be able to access it. :|

I hope IE7 will be better, but I'm thinking probably not. :)

Has anyone looked at SVG? I know there are some authoring-tools for
Linux there, like Inkscape. Maybe something there combined with the
Adobe SVG-plugin would work. I guess "native" SVG-support in browsers
currently is worse than (X)HTML/CSS-support.

Frank Buss

Apr 12, 2006, 6:06:52 AM4/12/06
Lars Rune Nřstdal wrote:

> A Flash-based solution would probably be better and cooler in many
> ways. But the authoring-tool does not work on my OS, and I'd have to
> steal it and a new OS to be able to access it. :|

I didn't tried it, because I'm using Windows XP and have bought the
authoring tool from Macromedia, but maybe this works for you:

http://f4l.sourceforge.net/

Otherwise it should be an interesting project to write a Flash authoring
tool in Lisp :-)

fireblade

Apr 12, 2006, 6:33:01 AM4/12/06
Looks good, even if I don't know to play go

bobi

Paolo Amoroso

Apr 12, 2006, 7:07:40 AM4/12/06
Frank Buss <f...@frank-buss.de> writes:

> Otherwise it should be an interesting project to write a Flash authoring
> tool in Lisp :-)

Zach Beane has some code:

http://www.xach.com/lisp/cl-flash/

Paolo
--
Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
The Common Lisp Directory: http://www.cl-user.net

rif

Apr 12, 2006, 7:21:49 AM4/12/06

How does it play? What's it a web frontend TO?

Cheers,

rif

Zach Beane

Apr 12, 2006, 7:22:47 AM4/12/06
Paolo Amoroso <amo...@mclink.it> writes:

> Frank Buss <f...@frank-buss.de> writes:
>
> > Otherwise it should be an interesting project to write a Flash authoring
> > tool in Lisp :-)
>
> Zach Beane has some code:
>
> http://www.xach.com/lisp/cl-flash/

Warning: that code is incomplete and undocumented.

Sergio Garcia has some better code:

http://bachue.com/svnwiki/gordon

Zach

Lars Rune Nøstdal

Apr 12, 2006, 7:45:46 AM4/12/06

Lars Rune Nøstdal

Apr 12, 2006, 7:46:23 AM4/12/06
Oh, and it uses GNU Go for the backend:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/

n2...@yahoo.com

Apr 12, 2006, 9:57:01 AM4/12/06
>> I'm working on some web-stuff, and for fun I've created a webfrontend
>> to a game of Go to test it out:
>> http://nostdal.org:5050/sw/SWGo/SWGo/

>I like it. A big problem, though,
>is trying to figure out the last moveplayed.

And for Go beginers also, to visualize the move...

Only during your turn... a greyed / translucent stone of your color
snaps
around the board following the cursor. (that's what AJAX is for,
right?)

Thomas Schilling

Apr 12, 2006, 10:34:38 AM4/12/06
Lars Rune Nřstdal wrote:
> I'm working on some web-stuff, and for fun I've created a webfrontend
> to a game of Go to test it out:
>
> http://nostdal.org:5050/sw/SWGo/SWGo/
>
> It's currently only tested with Firefox (1.5.0.1) and Opera (8.52).

Nice work. A beginners / quick-game field size would be nice, too. I'm
not quite sure what the common size is. I think it was something like
13x13 or 9x9.

Eric Lavigne

Apr 12, 2006, 11:13:49 AM4/12/06

> Nice work. A beginners / quick-game field size would be nice, too. I'm
> not quite sure what the common size is. I think it was something like
> 13x13 or 9x9.

There are 3 common sizes: 9x9, 13x13, and 19x19, with 19x19 being the
traditional size.

I actually consider it the other way around. It is the advanced players
that need a small board because computer go players play so poorly on a
large board :-p

rif

Apr 12, 2006, 1:18:13 PM4/12/06
Yeah, I was curious what algorithm it was using.

rif

Lars Rune Nøstdal

Apr 12, 2006, 7:34:28 PM4/12/06
I've added a couple of features (probably some new bugs too) and fixed
some things:

* recent moves are marked
* pass-button
* stones no longer look like "potatoes"
* score is shown (W+2.5 means White is leading)

..more to come.. :)

Rob Warnock

Apr 12, 2006, 11:39:41 PM4/12/06
Lars Rune Nøstdal <larsn...@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------

| A Flash-based solution would probably be better and cooler in many
| ways. But the authoring-tool does not work on my OS, and I'd have to
| steal it and a new OS to be able to access it. :|
+---------------

Plus the recent security vulnerabilities in Flash:

http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1191

But this is hardly the first time this has happened with Flash.
It has a long, tarnished history of similar defects, which is why
I keep it permanently disabled in all my browsers and simply boycott
any site which fails to provide decent navigation without it.
But YMMV...

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock <rp...@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue <URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403 (650)572-2607

Emre Sevinc

Apr 13, 2006, 2:10:31 AM4/13/06
"Lars Rune Nøstdal" <larsn...@gmail.com> writes:

> I've added a couple of features (probably some new bugs too) and fixed
> some things:
>
> * recent moves are marked
> * pass-button
> * stones no longer look like "potatoes"
> * score is shown (W+2.5 means White is leading)
>
> ..more to come.. :)

Lovely front-end to GNU Go and a good example of AJAX
style Internet UI.

It would be great if you included the link to the
source code: http://nostdal.org/sw/wiki/SWGo
(I had to spend some time to find it).

As others suggested, letting the user choose the
board size would be fine too.

Cheers,

--
Emre Sevinc

eMBA Software Developer Actively engaged in:
http:www.bilgi.edu.tr http://ileriseviye.org
http://www.bilgi.edu.tr http://fazlamesai.net
Cognitive Science Student http://cazci.com
http://www.cogsci.boun.edu.tr

Asbjørn Bjørnstad

Apr 13, 2006, 11:52:55 AM4/13/06
Frank Buss <f...@frank-buss.de> writes:

> What do you think of a Macromedia Flash interface, like my Trisoli:
> http://www.frank-buss.de/trisoli/

I can't see this.

> This would work on every browser with a Flash Plugin, which are about 98 %
> of all systems, if you are creating Flash 6 output:

Macromedia has as far as I know not been able to release a version for
Linux on x86_64, so if linux users are part of your audience I would
not go for a flash solution.
--
-asbjxrn

Alan Crowe

Apr 13, 2006, 12:38:28 PM4/13/06
"Lars Rune Nøstdal" <larsn...@gmail.com> writes:

> I've added a couple of features (probably some new bugs too) and fixed
> some things:
>
> * recent moves are marked
> * pass-button
> * stones no longer look like "potatoes"
> * score is shown (W+2.5 means White is leading)

I played all the way to the end, passed, white connected a
ko, I passed again, then I got a 500 Server Error, when I
expected a smirk because level 0 had beaten me by 12 points.

Is this a bug in how the Web bit talks to GNU Go at the end
of the game?

Alan Crowe
Edinburgh
Scotland

Lars Rune Nøstdal

Apr 13, 2006, 2:02:05 PM4/13/06
> Is this a bug in how the Web bit talks to GNU Go at the end
> of the game?

Yes, I'm working on this.

Joerg Hoehle

Apr 20, 2006, 7:49:01 AM4/20/06
Frank Buss <f...@frank-buss.de> writes:
> What do you think of a Macromedia Flash interface, like my Trisoli:
> http://www.frank-buss.de/trisoli/
> This would work on every browser with a Flash Plugin, which are about 98 %
> of all systems, if you are creating Flash 6 output:
> http://www.macromedia.com/software/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetration.html

I can't believe I'm among 2% of Mohicans.
Given that these figures comes from Macromedia themselves, one should
be careful about them.

Maybe it's just that 98% of people who visit the Macromedia website
have a Flashplayer (at least after their visit)?

Or that 98% of the people fool enough to have Javascript unselectively
enabled so as to allow some websites to collect statistics about them
also have Flashplayer installed? A sign of low security awareness?

Or that 98% of people attracted by a 100$ earning for conducting a
survey have Macromedia installed, with a 5 to 2000 chance of winning?
http://www.macromedia.com/software/player_census/npd/

My own statistics would be that 98% of Flash usage in the WWW is junk
and not worth installing. I'll have to live with not being able to
view the remaining 2%. And I'll try to stay away from Flash even
though the children surfing the web would like to know what the (IMHO
presumably silly) animations would look like.

Oh, I forgot to mention that not having a Flashplayer will nicely save
my bandwidth by not loading Flashplayer advertisements ;-)

Regards,
Jorg Hohle