Re: Today, 10 years ago

Branimir Maksimovic

Oct 23, 2021, 11:54:21 PM10/23/21
On 2021-10-24, Stefan Ram <r...@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Today [2021-10-24], ten years ago [2011-10-24]:
>
> John McCarthy dies.

Who cares?

--

7-77-777
Evil Sinner!

Luca Saiu

Oct 25, 2021, 2:21:45 PM10/25/21
On 2021-10-24 at 03:54 +0000, Branimir Maksimovic wrote:

> On 2021-10-24, Stefan Ram <r...@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>> Today [2021-10-24], ten years ago [2011-10-24]:
>>
>> John McCarthy dies.
>>

> Who cares?

People care and will remember McCarthy even ninety years from now.
About you I have my doubts.

--
Luca Saiu -- http://ageinghacker.net
I support everyone's freedom of mocking any opinion or belief, no

Meredith Montgomery

Oct 25, 2021, 2:24:02 PM10/25/21
r...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) writes:

> Today [2021-10-24], ten years ago [2011-10-24]:
>
> John McCarthy dies.

I care. Taught us so many great ideas, to say very little. Have you
seen his continuous-nowhere-differentiable function? Much simpler than
Weirstrass's. I loved it.

Branimir Maksimovic

Oct 25, 2021, 9:05:39 PM10/25/21
On 2021-10-25, Luca Saiu <posi...@gnu.org> wrote:
> On 2021-10-24 at 03:54 +0000, Branimir Maksimovic wrote:
>
>> On 2021-10-24, Stefan Ram <r...@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>>> Today [2021-10-24], ten years ago [2011-10-24]:
>>>
>>> John McCarthy dies.
>>>

>> Who cares?
>
> People care and will remember McCarthy even ninety years from now.
> About you I have my doubts.

So what?

Zyni Moë

Nov 12, 2021, 6:21:37 AM11/12/21
Branimir Maksimovic <branimir....@icloud.com> wrote:

>> People care and will remember McCarthy even ninety years from now.
>> About you I have my doubts.
>>
> So what?

Your life must be very sad and miserable that all you can do to make
yourself feel less bad is to try to make others more so. I feel a bit
sorry for you although I certainly will not miss you when you are dead.

For myself, I met him once. You can expect imagine (well, perhaps you can
not) what it was like for very young not-male person from despised (still)
ethnic minority and with poor english to try and cope with various people
in computing and AI (my parents were visiting Stanford). McCarthy was not
like that: he talked to me as person even though he had many better things
to do and more interesting people to meet I am sure. He is why, today, I
still write Lisp even though my work has nothing to do with AI.

--
the small snake

nemo

Nov 12, 2021, 10:44:35 AM11/12/21
Thank you for reference (new to me and which I just obtained from
http://jmc.stanford.edu/index.html). Very nice, indeed!

N.