[CfPart] 16th European Lisp Symposium, April 24-25, Amsterdam

Didier Verna

Mar 9, 2023, 10:44:18 AM3/9/23

16th European Lisp Symposium
In-Cooperation-With: ACM SIGLAN

Call for Participation

April 24-25, 2023
Startup Village, Amsterdam, Nederlands

https://www.european-lisp-symposium.org/2023

Sponsored by EPITA, DIRO, MLPrograms, Franz Inc., and SISCOG

Recent News
~~~~~~~~~~~
Registrations are now open (early bird deadline: April 9)
Keynote speakers announced (see below)

Important Dates
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Author notification: March 26, 2023
- Final papers due: April 9, 2023
- Early registration deadline: April 9, 2023
- Symposium: April 24-25, 2023

Scope
~~~~~

The European Lisp Symposium is a premier forum for the discussion and
dissemination of all aspects of design, implementation, and application
of any of the Lisp dialects, including Common Lisp, Scheme, Emacs
Lisp, Clojure, Racket, ACL2, AutoLisp, ISLISP, Dylan, SKILL, Hy, Shen,
Carp, Janet, uLisp, Picolisp, Gamelisp, TXR, and so on. We encourage
everyone interested in Lisp to participate.

The European Lisp Symposium invites high quality papers about novel
research results, insights and lessons learned from practical
applications, and educational perspectives. We also encourage
submissions about known ideas as long as they are presented in a new
setting and/or in a highly elegant way.

Topics include but are not limited to:

- context-, aspect-, domain-oriented and generative programming
- macro-, reflective-, meta- and/or rule-based development approaches
- language design and implementation
- language integration, inter-operation, and deployment
- development methodologies, support, and environments
- educational approaches and perspectives
- experience reports and case studies

Keynotes
~~~~~~~~
##### Artificial Intelligence: a Problem of Plumbing?
-- Gerald J. Sussman, MIT CSAIL, USA

We have made amazing progress in the construction and deployment of
systems that do work originally thought to require human-like
intelligence. On the symbolic side we have world-champion
Chess-playing and Go-playing systems. We have deductive systems and
algebraic manipulation systems that exceed the capabilities of human
mathematicians. We are now observing the rise of connectionist
mechanisms that appear to see and hear pretty well, and chatbots that
appear to have some impressive linguistic ability. But there is a
serious problem. The mechanisms that can distinguish pictures of cats
from pictures of dogs have no idea what a cat or a dog is. The
chatbots have no idea what they are talking about. The algebraic
systems do not understand anything about the real physical world. And
no deontic logic system has any idea about feelings and morality.

So what is the problem? We generally do not know how to combine
systems so that a system that knows how to solve problems of class A
and another system that knows how to solve problems of class B can be
combined to solve not just problems of class A or class B but can
solve problems that require both skills that are needed for problems
of class A and skills that are needed for problems of class B.

Perhaps this is partly a problem of plumbing. We do not have
linguistic structures that facilitate discovering and building
combinations. This is a fundamental challenge for the
programming-language community. We need appropriate ideas for abstract
plumbing fittings that enable this kind of cooperation among disparate
mechanisms. For example, why is the amazingly powerful tree
exploration mechanism that is used for games not also available, in
the same system, to a deductive engine that is being applied to a
social interaction problem?

I will attempt to elucidate this problem and perhaps point at avenues
of attack that we may work on together.

##### Gradual, Multi-Lingual, and Teacher-Centric Programming Education
-- Felienne Hermans, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Nederlands

(tba)

Programme Chair
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stefan Monnier, DIRO, Université de Montréal, Canada

Programme Committee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mark Evenson, not.org, Austria
Marco Heisig, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
Ioanna Dimitriou, Igalia S.L., Germany
Robert Smith, HRL Laboratories
Mattias Engdegård
Marc Feeley, Université de Montréal, Canada
Marc Battyani, FractalConcept
Alan Ruttenberg, National Center for Ontological Research, USA
Nick Levine, Ravenbrook Ltd, UK
Ludovic Courtès, Inria, France
Matthew Flatt, University of Utah, USA
Irène Durand, Université Bordeaux 1, France
Jay McCarthy, Brigham Young University, USA
Ambrose Bonnaire-Sergeant, Cisco
Christopher League, Long Island University, NY, USA
Pascal Costanza, Intel, Belgium
Christian Queinnec

Local Chair
Breanndán Ó Nualláin, Machine Learning Programs, Nederlands

--
Didier Verna
ELS Steering Committee