Anyone willing to sell "On Lisp"?

66 views
Skip to first unread message

deppp

unread,
Jan 15, 2010, 11:48:01 AM1/15/10
to
Help young lispers generation :)

Can't find any affordable copy of it. And taking it in library is not
an option in my 3rd world country.

I'm also interested in norvig's books. Thanks.

jos...@lisp.de

unread,
Jan 15, 2010, 11:57:04 AM1/15/10
to

Possibly the PDF or Postscript version of On Lisp is useful for you.

Paul Graham has made those available on his website:

http://www.paulgraham.com/onlisptext.html

Tamas K Papp

unread,
Jan 15, 2010, 12:13:14 PM1/15/10
to

Or the HTML version (which I find more pleasant to read):
http://www.bookshelf.jp/texi/onlisp/onlisp.html

Also available in a compressed archive:
http://www.bookshelf.jp/texi/onlisp/onlisp.tar.gz

Tamas

Pascal J. Bourguignon

unread,
Jan 15, 2010, 10:46:54 PM1/15/10
to

He he! I just realized that "on Lisp" was a trick like the "chinual"! :-)

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__ http://www.informatimago.com/

Victor

unread,
Jan 16, 2010, 3:02:36 AM1/16/10
to
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 18:48:01 +0200, deppp <mikhail...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Help young lispers generation :)
>
> Can't find any affordable copy of it. And taking it in library is not
> an option in my 3rd world country.

Hello,

And what country is it?

Tamas K Papp

unread,
Jan 16, 2010, 4:10:37 AM1/16/10
to

Not knowing the work, I googled for chinual, and apparently it refers
to the Lisp Machine Manual. Is this some kind of pun, or an inside
joke? Please excuse my ignorance, I am too young to have used a Lisp
Machine.

Tamas

Norbert_Paul

unread,
Jan 16, 2010, 8:56:10 AM1/16/10
to
Tamas K Papp wrote:
> joke? Please excuse my ignorance, I am too young to have used a Lisp
> Machine.

google "Lisp machine emulator".

Rob Warnock

unread,
Jan 16, 2010, 8:57:30 AM1/16/10
to
Tamas K Papp <tkp...@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------

| Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
| > He he! I just realized that "on Lisp" was a trick like the "chinual"!
| > :-)
|
| Not knowing the work, I googled for chinual, and apparently it refers
| to the Lisp Machine Manual. Is this some kind of pun, or an inside joke?
+---------------

The latter. The original softcover volume has the words "Lisp Machine
Manual", approximately right-justified, one above the other, tilted
down slightly, wrapped around from the back cover across the spine
to the front cover, split approximately as follows:

spine
back| |front
+--------+-+--------+
| | | L i s p|
| M a c h i n e| The "a" & "c" are folded around the edges of the spine.
| M|a|n u a l | The first "a" is entirely on the spine.
+--------+-+--------+

So if you look just at the front cover head-on, you will see:

+--------+
| L i s p|
c h i n e| \__ contracted into "chinual"
|n u a l | /
+--------+

Capische?


-Rob

p.s. Aha! Pictures can be found here:

http://www.librarything.com/work/1473139/covers
http://www.softwarepreservation.org/projects/LISP/images/LispMachineManual.gif

-----
Rob Warnock <rp...@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue <URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403 (650)572-2607

Tamas K Papp

unread,
Jan 16, 2010, 9:28:40 AM1/16/10
to
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 07:57:30 -0600, Rob Warnock wrote:

> Capische?
>
>
> -Rob
>
> p.s. Aha! Pictures can be found here:
>
> http://www.librarything.com/work/1473139/covers
> http://www.softwarepreservation.org/projects/LISP/images/
LispMachineManual.gif

Capisco. Thanks.

D Herring

unread,
Jan 16, 2010, 12:25:18 PM1/16/10
to
deppp wrote:
> Help young lispers generation :)
>
> Can't find any affordable copy of it. And taking it in library is not
> an option in my 3rd world country.

For the record, a couple years ago PG said he would get this
republished somewhere. That never happened; maybe he is too busy with
other stuff.

At the time, I used the following to convert the book to a size
suitable for binding.

All one line:
gs -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=try.pdf
-dPDFSETTINGS=/printer -dCompatibilityLevel=1.3 -dMaxSubsetPct=100
-dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true -c '[/CropBox [85 60 515 710]
/PAGES pdfmark' -f onlisp.ps


Downloaded a photo of the front cover, pieced together a spine, and
uploaded them to a popular print-on-demand publisher for a personal
copy. ISTR it being around $12.

AIUI, personal copies of this sort are fine; but making the completed
POD project publicly available might be copyright infringement. If PG
himself did this, it should be fine...

Later,
Daniel

Kaz Kylheku

unread,
Jan 16, 2010, 10:54:28 PM1/16/10
to

I don't have On Lisp, but I'm willing to sell /out/ Lisp, like everyone
else. Bidding starts at one cent per parenthesis. Structural macros?
My idea! Check out the Yacc parser ...

marcoecc

unread,
Mar 16, 2010, 12:24:05 PM3/16/10
to
On Jan 16, 5:25 pm, D Herring <dherr...@at.tentpost.dot.com> wrote:
...

> At the time, I used the following to convert the book to a size
> suitable for binding.
>
> All one line:
> gs -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=try.pdf
> -dPDFSETTINGS=/printer -dCompatibilityLevel=1.3 -dMaxSubsetPct=100
> -dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true -c '[/CropBox [85 60 515 710]
> /PAGES pdfmark' -f onlisp.ps
>
> Downloaded a photo of the front cover, pieced together a spine, and
> uploaded them to a popular print-on-demand publisher for a personal
> copy.  ISTR it being around $12.
>

Hello,

Where I live there's a print-on-demand service in a book store who
can print and bind out-of-print or original books, from PDF files
for the cover and back page and the book. They look just perfect.

I've already used the above command (thanks!) to reformat the original
PDF file with margins suitable for printing and binding, and have also
downloaded the front cover large gif from PG's site and then converted
it via gif2tiff and tiff2pdf to a PDF page.

But unfortunately, after having looked almost everywhere (amazon,
other
on line book stores, book review sites, many Lispers' sites, and even
the few auctions on ebay), I haven't been able so far to find a
scanned
image of the back cover of this book.

Would any owner of the printed book be kind enough to post somewhere a
scanned (readable!) picture of the back cover? TIFF or GIF would be
best.

Or if anyone knows where such image can be found, a link would be
appreciated!

Thanks,
Marco


Alain Picard

unread,
Mar 16, 2010, 11:05:27 PM3/16/10
to
marcoecc <marco.ec...@gmail.com> writes:


> Would any owner of the printed book be kind enough to post somewhere a
> scanned (readable!) picture of the back cover? TIFF or GIF would be
> best.

I stuck one at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3992656/on-lisp-back-cover.tiff
WARNING - it's large - 10Mb, 600dpi tiff file.

Cheers,
--ap


marcoecc

unread,
Mar 17, 2010, 10:26:56 AM3/17/10
to
On Mar 17, 3:05 am, Alain Picard <Dr.Alain.Pic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> marcoecc <marco.eccettu...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Would any owner of the printed book be kind enough to post somewhere a
> > scanned (readable!) picture of the back cover? TIFF or GIF would be
> > best.
>
> I stuck one athttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/3992656/on-lisp-back-cover.tiff

> WARNING - it's large - 10Mb, 600dpi tiff file.
>
> Cheers,
>                 --ap

Alain, thank you very much!

For anyone interested, I've uploaded the full cover (made
with Gimp) to http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5417176/full-cover.tiff

The image is 655KB, resolution 904x640 at 72dpi. The image
includes: back (424px), spine (56px), and front (424px), which
should print at (15 + 1.9 + 15) * 22.5 cm, about the book size.

M

proton

unread,
Mar 21, 2010, 3:16:50 PM3/21/10
to
On Mar 17, 3:26 pm, marcoecc <marco.eccettu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 17, 3:05 am, Alain Picard <Dr.Alain.Pic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > marcoecc <marco.eccettu...@gmail.com> writes:
> > > Would any owner of the printed book be kind enough to post somewhere a
> > > scanned (readable!) picture of the back cover? TIFF or GIF would be
> > > best.
>
> > I stuck one athttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/3992656/on-lisp-back-cover.tiff
> > WARNING - it's large - 10Mb, 600dpi tiff file.
>
> > Cheers,
> >                 --ap
>
> Alain, thank you very much!
>
> For anyone interested, I've uploaded the full cover (made
> with Gimp) tohttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/5417176/full-cover.tiff

>
> The image is 655KB, resolution 904x640 at 72dpi. The image
> includes: back (424px), spine (56px), and front (424px), which
> should print at (15 + 1.9 + 15) * 22.5 cm, about the book size.
>
> M

I tried to download the picture but it does not work. Would it be
possible to re-upload it or send it to me directly by email?

Thanks a lot.

Giovanni Gigante

unread,
Mar 21, 2010, 3:25:17 PM3/21/10
to
marcoecc wrote:

> Where I live there's a print-on-demand service in a book store who
> can print and bind out-of-print or original books, from PDF files
> for the cover and back page and the book. They look just perfect.

By the way, someone scanned the missing figures of "on lisp".
You can find them here:
http://www.zerobeat.in/wiki/doku.php?id=onlisp_missing_figures
AFAIK no one has yet integrated them (and the back cover too!) to
produce the definitive PDF editon :)

g

marcoecc

unread,
Mar 21, 2010, 4:43:23 PM3/21/10
to

Hi,

I have just tried the link again, and it seems to work perfectly.
Perhaps you could try downloading it from a different computer/place?

BTW, thanks to Alain who was so kind to scan and send me the spine as
well,
that TIFF should now be an almost exact copy of the whole original
cover.

The image is now 677KB, resolution 900x640 at 72dpi. The image
includes: back (424px), spine (52px), and front (424px), which
should print at (15 + 1.8 + 15) * 22.5 cm, about the book size.

Marco

marcoecc

unread,
Mar 21, 2010, 4:45:42 PM3/21/10
to
On Mar 21, 7:25 pm, Giovanni Gigante <g...@cidoc.iuav.it> wrote:
> By the way, someone scanned the missing figures of "on lisp".
> You can find them here:http://www.zerobeat.in/wiki/doku.php?id=onlisp_missing_figures

Thanks lot for those... although I had already found in this
group a good textual description of the missing pictures.

> AFAIK no one has yet integrated them (and the back cover too!) to
> produce the definitive PDF editon :)

Slowly but surely we're getting there... :)


M

proton

unread,
Mar 21, 2010, 6:26:30 PM3/21/10
to

Thanks, you are right. It was some wrong setting for opening TIFF
files in my browser. The link works just fine.

proton

unread,
Mar 21, 2010, 6:28:42 PM3/21/10
to

Thanks, you are right. It was some wrong setting for opening TIFF

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages