Lisp hosting?

Jamie Border

May 31, 2005, 5:14:42 PM5/31/05
Now that I've managed to build some useful Lisp stuff with UnCommon Web, I'm
thinking that maybe I could do something better with my domain than point it
at a PHP-enabled server.

I'm wondering if anybody here has any info/experience with Web hosting that
will let me run a Lisp image talking to Apache through mod_lisp.

I lack the connectivity to do this myself, as I am in the UK and stuck with
a DSL connection that is down as often as it is up.

Jamie

theo doukas

May 31, 2005, 6:06:57 PM5/31/05

What you can do is skip the mod_lisp unless you have a dedicated server
and switch to a lisp that has a small memory footprint (such as CLISP)
and run is as CGI. It works for me.

André Thieme

May 31, 2005, 8:01:42 PM5/31/05
Jamie Border schrieb:

Get a root server.
In germany that costs around 30 Euro per month. You will get a debian
box that will run only for you on a 100 mbit line and you are the root
and you can install whatever you want.

André

Pupeno

May 31, 2005, 8:36:33 PM5/31/05
I'd prefeer aserver or araneida and a rewrite rule in Apache, for
hosting I recomend you tech co-op: http://tech.coop
They offer very cheap Lisp-based hosting.
Check http://tech.coop/Hosting Services

Larry Clapp

May 31, 2005, 9:18:34 PM5/31/05
In article <d7ik40$2jr$1...@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>, Jamie Border wrote:
> Now that I've managed to build some useful Lisp stuff with UnCommon
> Web, I'm thinking that maybe I could do something better with my
> domain than point it at a PHP-enabled server.
>
> I'm wondering if anybody here has any info/experience with Web
> hosting that will let me run a Lisp image talking to Apache through
> mod_lisp.

I like (and use) bytemark.co.uk. User Mode Linux. Enough memory in
the lowest tier product (15 GBP/mo) to run Apache and CMUCL. I
haven't stress tested it, but the basic setup works. YMMV, of course.

-- Larry Clapp

Christopher Browne

May 31, 2005, 9:15:30 PM5/31/05
Clinging to sanity, theo doukas <dou...@gegentakt.com> mumbled into her beard:

> Jamie Border wrote:
>> Now that I've managed to build some useful Lisp stuff with UnCommon
>> Web, I'm thinking that maybe I could do something better with my
>> domain than point it at a PHP-enabled server.
>> I'm wondering if anybody here has any info/experience with Web
>> hosting that will let me run a Lisp image talking to Apache through
>> mod_lisp.
>> I lack the connectivity to do this myself, as I am in the UK and
>> stuck with a DSL connection that is down as often as it is up.

> What you can do is skip the mod_lisp unless you have a dedicated

> server and switch to a lisp that has a small memory footprint (such
> as CLISP) and run is as CGI. It works for me.

Open question, there...

What bits of CLISP can you not bother having around without trouble?

My packaged install (debian) includes various "image" things that may
or may not be needed, e.g.:

- UnicodeDataFull.txt (1.3MB)
- numerous clisp.mo/clisplow.mo (150K/17K) for different locales
- lispinit.mem (1.9MB)
- lisp.run (1.6MB)
- a number of .o files

The whole package is ~11MB; the question is of how small it can be
trimmed to...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "gmail.com")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/lisp.html

Pascal Bourguignon

May 31, 2005, 11:50:46 PM5/31/05
Christopher Browne <cbbr...@acm.org> writes:
> What bits of CLISP can you not bother having around without trouble?
>
> My packaged install (debian) includes various "image" things that may
> or may not be needed, e.g.:
>
> - UnicodeDataFull.txt (1.3MB)
> - numerous clisp.mo/clisplow.mo (150K/17K) for different locales
> - lispinit.mem (1.9MB)
> - lisp.run (1.6MB)
> - a number of .o files
>
> The whole package is ~11MB; the question is of how small it can be
> trimmed to...

You only need these two:

- lispinit.mem (1.9MB)
- lisp.run (1.6MB)

Actually, instead of lispinit.mem, you'd use your own image.

Until real software engineering is developed, the next best practice
is to develop with a dynamic system that has extreme late binding in
all aspects. The first system to really do this in an important way
is Lisp. -- Alan Kay

Pascal Bourguignon

May 31, 2005, 11:51:31 PM5/31/05
theo doukas <dou...@gegentakt.com> writes:

If you want to avoid apache, I'd advise UCW on Araneida on clisp.
But forget about CGI when you can have UCW!

Paolo Amoroso

Jun 1, 2005, 5:25:31 AM6/1/05
"Jamie Border" <ja...@jborder.com> writes:

> I'm wondering if anybody here has any info/experience with Web hosting that
> will let me run a Lisp image talking to Apache through mod_lisp.

http://lisp.tech.coop/Lisp-friendly%20Web%20Hosting

Paolo
Recommended Common Lisp libraries/tools (see also http://clrfi.alu.org):
- ASDF/ASDF-INSTALL: system building/installation
- CL-PPCRE: regular expressions
- UFFI: Foreign Function Interface