RFD: Remove comp.lang.lisp.x

Jim Riley

Jul 18, 2006, 4:42:48 AM7/18/06
REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)

This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) to remove the following
Usenet newsgroup:

remove comp.lang.lisp.x

RATIONALE: remove comp.lang.lisp.x

This is one of a set of 31 low-traffic former INET groups proposed for
removal. Please see the article

"2nd RFD: Remove low traffic former INET groups"

posted to news.announce.newgroups and news.groups for a more general
discussion.

RATIONALE: remove comp.lang.lisp.x

The newsgroup line is:

|comp.lang.lisp.x The XLISP language system.

comp.lang.lisp.x has had no on-topic messages in the past 11 months. Any
XLISP-specific discussion can be conducted in comp.lang.lisp.

PROCEDURE:

The full (draft) group removal procedure is documented here:

http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=policies:rmgroup

Those who wish to comment on this request to remove this newsgroup
should subscribe to news.groups and participate in the relevant threads
in that newsgroup.

To this end, the followup header of this RFD has been set to
news.groups.

All discussion of active proposals should be posted to news.groups.

If desired by the readership of closely affected groups, the discussion
may be crossposted to those groups, but care must be taken to ensure
that all discussion appears in news.groups as well.

DISTRIBUTION:

news.announce.newgroups (omitted)
news.groups
comp.lang.lisp.x
comp.lang.lisp

PROPONENT:

Jim Riley <jim...@pipeline.com>

CHANGE HISTORY:

2006-07-08 Original RFD.
--
Jim Riley

Jim Riley

Aug 10, 2006, 12:34:09 AM8/10/06
[comp.lang.lisp.x added]

On 9 Aug 2006 11:28:39 -0700, "gene.s...@gmail.com"
<gene.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm not sure as to the value of either keeping or removing the x-lisp
>newsgroup.

The last discussion in comp.lang.lisp.x was in February 2005. It appears to be
a homework problem not specific to XLISP. The person who responded noted that
their answer was specific to Common Lisp.

>As XLisp itself has evolved from a Lisp to a form of Scheme I'd have to
>`know' how rigid your taxonomy is qua IS.

I do not understand this statement.

>I suppose it is important to point xlisp users in the direction of what
>group they SHOULD post their XLisp-related messages to.

Does comp.lang.lisp.x serve this purpose?

>And if XLisp is the parent of AMXLisp (for the Amiga), XLisp-Stat (an
>XLisp-based statistics package) and WINTERP (Another derivative work)
>then what happens when one interested in one of these derivative works
>seeks dialogue with like-minded individuals?

Discussion of AMXList appears limited to comp.sys.amiga.* groups.

Discussion of Xlisp-Stat appears in comp.lang.lisp, and to a limited extent in
comp.soft-sys.sas. There are also mentions in various groups devoted to Linux
and Unix distributions, indicating ports, etc. of xlisp-stat.

Discussion of WINTERP appears to be distributed among comp.lang.misc,
comp.lang.lisp, and some comp.windows.x.*. The last mention in comp.lang.lisp.x
was in 2003.
--
Jim Riley