Help] Making Labview routine. ( I am looking for experienced people on Labview)

Cheol-Soo Yang

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98

Is there anybody who can help me learn how to build labview routines?

I am a new graduate student of Physics department. I am working at newly
starting lab with a new professor. A few weeks ago we bought a Labview 5.0.
To perform some experiments, I have to make some routines with Lavview to
control our measuring equipments. Unfortunately I am a beginner at
experiment and have no experience on "Labview". Following is my first step
to make to control my equipment with Labview for my experiment.

Please look followings and give me some help.

Purpose : Get I-V characteristic curve of my sample at given Temperature.
i.e. Setting a temperature, I source(sweep) several voltage values and
measure currents corresponding to the several voltage values.

I am using temperature controller(Oxford ITC 503), Keithley 2400
SourceMeter, and Keithley 6517a ElectroMeter. i.e. I want to control the
temperature around my sample with Oxford ITC 503 temperature controller and
give some voltage using Keithley 2400 and measure the current at that
voltage. Then I want to change the voltage and repeate measuring the
current. And so on.

Also, I want to use Labview instrument drivers provided by Keithley and
Oxford.

I want to measure and record Temperature, voltage, and current at every
measuring step.

I have to build a Labview routine for this measurement. I think I have to
be careful for synchronization of measurement.

If you have a similar Labview routine for this measurement, or if you have
some experience on this, or if you are familiar with Labview programming,
Please help me!!!

Actually, I programmed some Labview routines using Keithley's Labview
instrument libraries to measure currents when voltage changing without
controling temperature. However, my this labview routine, I think, has some
bug at trigering. I don't know where I did something wrong in my Labview
routine.

I think if I could look at a certain similar Labview routine for doing this
kind of experiment, it would be very helpful for me to make Labview routine
using instrument drivers.

So, if you have some similar kind of Labview routine and let me have a
chance to look at it, or if you can have some experience on programming
Labview routine using instrument drivers and look over my Labview routine
and give me some advice or comment, IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I hope that many Labview-experienced people answer my asking so that I could
contack with them.

Thank you very much for your kind attention for this.

cy...@unlgrad1.unl.edu

Kevin Kent

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
to Cheol-Soo Yang
If you have not already done so, I would suggest that you go through the
Labview tutorial to
get some experience with Labview.

Since you seem to have the instrument drivers for the equipment you are in good
shape.
You will need to build up some VIs using the instrument drivers to make them
work the way you want.
There should be an application example for the Keithley. examine this to see
how to make your own.
You have already broken down what it needs to do, so it should be easy to make
routines for each part
and then put them all together.

You basically need a nested FOR loop:
The outer loop sets the temperature, the inner loop sets each voltage and then
makes all readings.

If you are setting the temperature and voltage in discrete steps, then
syncronization should not
be a problem. I do this type of thing quite frequently.

I could send you a small example in e-mail that does not do anything but might
get you started.
You would have to have version 5.0 to open it.

I check this group daily so let me know if I can help.
Kevin Kent

Cheol-Soo Yang wrote:

> Is there anybody who can help me learn how to build labview routines?

kentkb.vcf

Anshul Singh

Jul 18, 2022, 11:42:36 AM7/18/22
Stilly trying to figure out in 2022.