Fixing Google Groups Styling

Michael Haufe (TNO)

May 20, 2021, 9:29:07 PM5/20/21
If you're one of the majority currently viewing the newsgroup through Google Groups, you've probably noticed they broke layout again.

If you use a plugin for user stylesheets you can use the following to fix the layout:

html-blob {
white-space: pre;
}

I'm currently using:

<https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-css/okpjlejfhacmgjkmknjhadmkdbcldfcb>

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

May 21, 2021, 9:18:16 PM5/21/21
I have written a userscript called “ggFormatter”. [1] Its yet unpublished
version 0.2.4 defines, among others

.ptW7te { font-family: monospace; white-space: pre; }

But that does not work well with older articles, as I had to find out when
reading some by Richard Cornford recently, and it will stop working fully if
they change the class name again. I will try your suggestion, then.

Ceterum censeo Google Groups esse substitutam.

_______
[1] <https://github.com/PointedEars/userscripts>
--
PointedEars
FAQ: <http://PointedEars.de/faq> | <http://PointedEars.de/es-matrix>

James Kirk

May 21, 2021, 11:59:50 PM5/21/21
In Message: <5713312.l...@PointedEars.de>
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <Point...@web.de> wrote:

> Michael Haufe (TNO) wrote:

[snip]

>> they broke layout again.

[snip]

>> html-blob {
>> white-space: pre;
>> }

[snip]

> I will try your suggestion, then.

[snip]

I suppose if you like horizontal scrolling such as in some of Julio
post.

I think you may like the results that pre-wrap provides much better.

One can still see Thomas's double spaces after the periods and no
nasty horizontal scrolling for long lines.

--
J𝕒𝕞𝕖𝕤 𝕂𝕚𝕣𝕜

Arno Welzel

May 22, 2021, 7:59:24 AM5/22/21
Michael Haufe (TNO):

> If you're one of the majority currently viewing the newsgroup through
> Google Groups, you've probably noticed they broke layout again.

So why not using a newsreader like Thunderbird and a NNTP server
instead? I find this *way* better than Googe Groups to access usenet.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Michael Haufe (TNO)

May 22, 2021, 11:42:44 AM5/22/21
On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 6:59:24 AM UTC-5, Arno Welzel wrote:
> Michael Haufe (TNO):
> > If you're one of the majority currently viewing the newsgroup through
> > Google Groups, you've probably noticed they broke layout again.
> So why not using a newsreader like Thunderbird and a NNTP server
> instead? I find this *way* better than Googe Groups to access usenet.

In my particular case I use more than six devices and maintaining software on each of them for this purpose is impractical. Thunderbird would be reasonable except that I do not have any desire to have multiple mail clients and the mobile options are questionable. I have significant integrations and dependencies on the Microsoft ecosystem and migrating to a mishmash of other technologies is non-trivial.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

May 22, 2021, 2:29:29 PM5/22/21
James Kirk wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^
You should use your real name here.

> In Message: <5713312.l...@PointedEars.de>
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <Point...@web.de> wrote:

You should trim the attribution to one line (or do not use Google Groups,
which I would recommend).

>> Michael Haufe (TNO) wrote:
>>> they broke layout again.
>
> [snip]
>
>>> html-blob {
>>> white-space: pre;
>>> }
>
> [snip]
>
>> I will try your suggestion, then.

Now I know why I did not use the (custom) “html-blob” element type as
selector, but rather “.ptW7te”, where “ptW7te” is the class of the parent
“div” element: It can contain both the quote and the original/new text.

I thought that formatting the parent “div” element covers the formatting of
both quotes and the original text in one rule. But if I am not mistaken, so
does using “html-blob” now.

> I suppose if you like horizontal scrolling such as in some of Julio
> post.
>
> I think you may like the results that pre-wrap provides much better.

It is a trade-off: “pre” preserves the original line-wrapping, which is
important e.g. with source code, program output, log files and ASCII art;
“pre-wrap” does not preserve it, but makes Google-Groups-posted postings
with overlong lines containing prose, like that produced (probably
unknowingly so) by Michael Haufe in this thread [1], readable without
horizontal scrolling.

Unfortunately, it is not easily possible to tell prose apart
programmatically.

<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.javascript/c/eSOJwY7QKE4/m/CwW3KBsKAQAJ>

> One can still see Thomas's double spaces

JFYI: You have replied to my posting :)

> after the periods

The same is true for “white-space: pre”. The only difference between “pre”
and “pre-wrap” is that also “Lines are broken […] as necessary to fill line
boxes.”

<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/white-space>

> and no nasty horizontal scrolling for long lines.

True, but that can also bite you later.

In passing, I noticed that viewing the original source of any posting is no
longer possible, too, because of “Either the e-mail adresses for this group
are anonymous, or you need the permission to view the members’ e-mail
addreses, to view the original message.” (translated from German)
<facepalm/>

Ceterum censeo Google Groups esse substitutam.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

May 22, 2021, 2:33:04 PM5/22/21
Interesting. Do you have access to a Web server from all those devices, and
can run scripting languages on it server-side?

Michael Haufe (TNO)

May 22, 2021, 3:02:03 PM5/22/21
On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 1:33:04 PM UTC-5, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Michael Haufe (TNO) wrote:
>
> > On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 6:59:24 AM UTC-5, Arno Welzel wrote:
> >> So why not using a newsreader like Thunderbird and a NNTP server
> >> instead? I find this *way* better than Googe Groups to access usenet.
> >
> > In my particular case I use more than six devices and maintaining software
> > on each of them for this purpose is impractical. Thunderbird would be
> > reasonable except that I do not have any desire to have multiple mail
> > clients and the mobile options are questionable. I have significant
> > integrations and dependencies on the Microsoft ecosystem and migrating to
> > a mishmash of other technologies is non-trivial.
> Interesting. Do you have access to a Web server from all those devices, and
> can run scripting languages on it server-side?

I do alot of consulting and contracting work so it's unavoidable.

I've debated making a web interface alternative to GG but I don't know how heavy of a lift that would be.

I can stand up a fully functional web server simply enough. What do you have in mind?

Arno Welzel

May 22, 2021, 5:37:47 PM5/22/21
Michael Haufe (TNO):
Do you know RoundCube with the "Elastic" theme? A newsreader similar to
this webmail client would be nice.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

May 23, 2021, 7:34:20 PM5/23/21
Michael Haufe (TNO) wrote:

> I've debated making a web interface alternative to GG but I don't know how
> heavy of a lift that would be.
>
> I can stand up a fully functional web server simply enough. What do you
> have in mind?

I have started developing a newsreader as a Web application. One could
install it one’s localhost, or, as in your case, you could install it on a
remote Web server that you have access to from all your devices.

luserdroog

May 24, 2021, 2:31:31 AM5/24/21
Thanks a bunch! Google support has been wholly unhelpful about this.
Got it to work with:

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/insert-style-sheet-temporarily/>

Michael Haufe (TNO)

May 24, 2021, 1:23:42 PM5/24/21
On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 6:34:20 PM UTC-5, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Michael Haufe (TNO) wrote:
>
> > I've debated making a web interface alternative to GG but I don't know how
> > heavy of a lift that would be.
> >
> > I can stand up a fully functional web server simply enough. What do you
> > have in mind?
> I have started developing a newsreader as a Web application. One could
> install it one’s localhost, or, as in your case, you could install it on a
> remote Web server that you have access to from all your devices.

Do you have this hosted in a repo somewhere?

Arno Welzel

May 24, 2021, 4:21:23 PM5/24/21
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn:

> Michael Haufe (TNO) wrote:
>
>> I've debated making a web interface alternative to GG but I don't know how
>> heavy of a lift that would be.
>>
>> I can stand up a fully functional web server simply enough. What do you
>> have in mind?
>
> I have started developing a newsreader as a Web application. One could
> install it one’s localhost, or, as in your case, you could install it on a
> remote Web server that you have access to from all your devices.

Sounds intriguing - is there a public repository? Which
language/framework do you use? I am experienced with PHP/Symfony if any
help is welcome.

Mostowski Collapse

May 25, 2021, 3:26:05 AM5/25/21
I'm a fan of Google groups but I think this is off-topic for the group.

Michael Haufe (TNO)

May 25, 2021, 9:03:18 AM5/25/21
On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 2:26:05 AM UTC-5, Mostowski Collapse wrote:
> I'm a fan of Google groups but I think this is off-topic for the group.

The group disagrees.

I'm going to venture a guess that your reaction is due to my response to your other post.

<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.javascript/c/IG4Z5xjz0T8>

We have a tendency to fall in love with our own creations and in your case
I'm guessing that is the most significant thing you've ever done and
you have much of your ego tied to it. Thus any criticism of it is taken
as a criticism of you personally.

Grow up.

Mostowski Collapse

May 25, 2021, 12:36:11 PM5/25/21
Ha Ha, normally I don't feed resident trolls.

luserdroog

Nov 11, 2021, 6:21:51 PM11/11/21
This still works. (Actually, I'm doing "pre-wrap" but whatever.) But it has the unfortunate
side effect of doubling the line spacing. Is there a trick to delete whatever extra newlines
are being added?

I tried using Firefox's style editor to peek into the style sheets in use,
but there are dozens of sheets with hundreds of rules in each. And I don't know what I'm
even looking for.

luserdroog

Nov 11, 2021, 6:26:08 PM11/11/21
I found something. Don't know what to do with it. GG appears to be inserting <br>
elements where the newlines go. So, can I style the <br>s to *not* break?

luserdroog

Nov 11, 2021, 6:41:45 PM11/11/21
html-blob{white-space:pre-wrap;}
br{display:none;}

luserdroog

Nov 11, 2021, 6:43:57 PM11/11/21
Ok, last one I promise. Is it possible to force the html-blob to use a fixed width font
or tty font?

Denodster

Nov 12, 2021, 12:15:13 AM11/12/21
In article <89d468a8-dee6-48cc...@googlegroups.com>,
Why go through all this trouble? isn't there a traditional newsreader you
could use instead of google groups?

Tavis Ormandy

Nov 12, 2021, 6:50:01 PM11/12/21
On 2021-11-11, luserdroog wrote:
> Ok, last one I promise. Is it possible to force the html-blob to use a fixed width font
> or tty font?

I use this in uBlock Origin (paste it into the My filters tab)

groups.google.com##html-blob:style(white-space: pre!important; font-family: monospace)
groups.google.com##html-blob > br:style(display: none!important)

Tavis.

--
_o) $ lynx lock.cmpxchg8b.com
/\\ _o) _o) $ finger tav...@sdf.org

luserdroog

Nov 12, 2021, 8:12:24 PM11/12/21
Well, yeah. I have gnus installed and set up. But somehow I can't get used to it.
I got used to the web interface back when it was DejaNews and just grumbled
and adapted as they've slowly crippled and shackled it. Maybe there's another
that'd suit me better. I keep hearing Thunderbird thunderbird thunderbird from
everybody. But, you know ... inertia.

That is to say, you're absolutely right. 100%. But I'm not gonna do it.

The Natural Philosopher

Nov 13, 2021, 3:27:20 AM11/13/21
Yup. In the end its s straight cost benefit exercise - learning the
bloated feature ridden crap that is thunderbird, *or* fixing up the
interface on the web site.

Every time Thunderbird does a major upgrade I need to spend a day or two
researching the web trying to turn it back to how it used to look and feel.

"We don't fix bugs, we add new features"

It's called the 'Poettering Maxim'.

--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Jan 19, 2022, 1:56:23 AM1/19/22
Denodster wrote:

> Why go through all this trouble? isn't there a traditional newsreader you
> could use instead of google groups?

Also, it is correctly transcribed and pronounced {Qapla'} (with emphasis on
the last syllable; Klingon for “success”, “victory”), not ”qapplaH”.

{qap} means “insist” instead, in Klingon transcription there is no doubling
of consonants (e.g. “Kahless” is just {qeylIS}), and the verb modifier
{-laH} means “be able to”.

So, transcription errors aside, they said “(I am) able to insist” instead,
which will cause a Klingon to laugh at them (and then kill them for showing
weakness).

<Picard> *facepalm* </Picard>

--
PointedEars