Updating the Status Line

Gene Wirchenko

Nov 23, 2011, 9:45:03 PM11/23/11
Dear JavaScripters:

How do I update the status line? I have a page that does not do
it the first time. If I refresh the page, then it works. This is
using defaultStatus. I have not been able to get status to work.

I am using IE9, but I would like a general answer. I have
enabled the setting to allow it to be done in Tools -- Internet
Options.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Jukka K. Korpela

Nov 24, 2011, 12:25:51 AM11/24/11
2011-11-24 4:45, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

> How do I update the status line?

This used to be simple:

window.status = 'Hello world';

However, browser vendors thought it was _too_ simple, and too simple to
mislead users, making them misidentify links. So they took the feature
off, basically. However, it still works on IE 9 when you view a local
page. More info:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3273320/javascript-window-status

> I have a page that does not do
> it the first time. If I refresh the page, then it works. This is
> using defaultStatus. I have not been able to get status to work.

As usual, specifying a URL or too would help.

> I am using IE9, but I would like a general answer. I have
> enabled the setting to allow it to be done in Tools -- Internet
> Options.

Which specific setting are you referring to?

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Richard Cornford

Nov 24, 2011, 9:40:52 AM11/24/11
On Nov 24, 5:25 am, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> 2011-11-24 4:45, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
<snip>
>> ... . I have
>> enabled the setting to allow it to be done in Tools -- Internet
>> Options.
>
> Which specific setting are you referring to?

For IE:-

Tools -> Internet Options -> Security (tab) ->
Select "zone" (e.g. Internet Zone) -> Custom level... ->
(In list) Scripting -> Allow status bar updates via scripts ->
Enable/Disable checkboxs.

Richard.

Gene Wirchenko

Nov 24, 2011, 2:28:29 PM11/24/11
Yup.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Dr J R Stockton

Nov 25, 2011, 3:26:27 PM11/25/11
In comp.lang.javascript message <0lbrc7pjlrnnqungodgqpqqploj5d35svi@4ax.
com>, Wed, 23 Nov 2011 18:45:03, Gene Wirchenko <ge...@ocis.net> posted:

> How do I update the status line?

Because the status line can be no use for several reasons, including :
too small to be read,
off screen or under another window,
does not exist,
is not enabled,
etc.?,
ISTM wise to write the status information ALSO to an ordinary page
element. In some browsers, it will or may appear there immediately;
otherwise it may be necessary for the script to yield. But at least,
with the information being written twice, the chances of at least one
being readable are better.

I've not yet met a browser in which attempting to assign to
window,status raises an error; but, if your work is for the public, that
should perhaps be tested.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk IE8 FF8 Op11 Sf5 Cr15
news:comp.lang.javascript FAQ <http://www.jibbering.com/faq/index.html>.