Re: javascripts added to visited html- or xml-pages in the internet

Barbara de Zoete

Oct 23, 2004, 5:12:00 PM10/23/04
Op Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:40:10 +0200, schreef Barbara de Zoete
<b_de_...@hotmail.com>:

> My system:
> - OS Windows XP SP1;
> - various graphical browsers (IE6, OP7.54, Firefox 0.9);
> - protection from Norton AntiVirus 2001 (up to date);
> - firewall ZoneAlarm Pro (up to date);
> - running Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster regularly;
> - UMTS connection to the internet.
>
> If I visit html- or xml-pages, two things happen:
> 1. All code gets 'compressed', that is all white space is taken out of
> the pages which
> is particularly harmful with xml-pages (error 'not well formed').
> 2. Some javascript gets called on:
> in the head of the page
> <script src="http://1.2.3.4/bmi-int-js/bmi.js"language="javascript">
> appears;
> at the end of the code (even after the </html>) <script
> language="javascript">
> <!--bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img");//--></script> is
> added.
> You can click for the <http://1.2.3.4/bmi-int-js/bmi.js> address.
> The javascript
> code will appear in your browser window.

As it happens, this is not true. The 1.2.3.4 is not approachable from the
internet. Meanwhile I have uploaded the content of the script to
<http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_test/bmi.js.txt> and added
document.write(' to the first line, so it doesn't do anything.

> With _all_ turned off (no Norton AV running, no ZoneAlarm active et
> cetera) I get this same result. One exception I found: URLs with
> <https://foo.bar/> come to me whithout anything noticable happening to
> them.
>
> I have no idea what so ever where this comes from, what causes it and
> how I can stop it (or even if I have to stop it at all). I've searched
> and Googled all over, but came up with nothing I can understand (in
> Hungarian, Chech, Italian). I've tried in other newsgroups, but to no
> avail. So please,
>
> Can anyone please fill me in. What is all that script stuff about?

On second thought: my guess is that comp.lang.javascript is probably a
better group, so follow-up set. Appologies for putting this in
ms-windows.misc, if that was not appropriate.

--
PretLetters <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/>
Zweefvliegen <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/vliegen.html>

Barbara de Zoete

Oct 23, 2004, 8:45:31 PM10/23/04
Op Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:12:00 +0200, schreef Barbara de Zoete
<b_de_...@hotmail.com>:

> Op Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:40:10 +0200, schreef Barbara de Zoete
> <b_de_...@hotmail.com>:
>

>> <script src="http://1.2.3.4/bmi-int-js/bmi.js"language="javascript">
>> appears;
>> at the end of the code (even after the </html>) <script
>> language="javascript">
>> <!--bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img");//--></script> is added.

No more mysteries. The javascript is a utility for surfing with UMTS from
Vodafone. It is meant to compress images and data (by deleting white
space).

Jan Schlößin

May 11, 2005, 4:20:26 PM5/11/05
Barbara de Zoete wrote:
> Op Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:12:00 +0200, schreef Barbara de Zoete
> <b_de_...@hotmail.com>:

[...]

> No more mysteries. The javascript is a utility for surfing with UMTS
> from Vodafone. It is meant to compress images and data (by deleting
> white space).

i also use vodafone umts and i'm not very happy about this lossy
'compression feature'. espacially during presentations it's not very
nice to press always a key combination according

"Shift+R improves the quality of this image.
CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page."

to get the real content. vodafone isn't able to / won't deactivate it.

so i have to do it myself. i studied the script bmi.js and found out
that it appends the string "bmi_orig_img" to images for the uncomressed
ones. that means there is a transparent proxy in the vodafone net which
filters all jpeg and gif images from a port 80 (http) (maybe some other
ports too: 8080, etc.) and compresses it with a data lossy encoding. :(

the script changes the url of the image to get the uncompressed version.
if the user presses a key combination (s.a.) for example the url
http://foo.bar/images/img1.jpeg
changes to
http://foo.bar/images/img1.jpeg/bmi_orig_img/img1.jpeg

and for images generted dynamically
http://foo.bar/file.php?image
changes to
http://foo.bar/file.php?image&bmi_orig_img=1

so, to get instantly the uncompressed images i have to change the html
source (according above) before loading the images. for example in a
local modified proxy or the browser.

any ideas how to do this?

thanks, jan