java won't run in my home directory

Chad Cunningham

Aug 10, 2004, 10:13:32 AM8/10/04
This is bizzare. I'm suspecting demonic posession but who knows...

Here's the problem.

[ccunning@chad home]$ pwd
/home
[ccunning@chad home]$ java -version
java version "1.4.2_04"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_04-135)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-36, mixed mode)
[ccunning@chad home]$ cd ccunning
[ccunning@chad ccunning]$ java -version
java.lang.Error: Properties init: Could not determine current working
directory.
Trace/BPT trap

Make any sense? I thought maybe it had an issue with my home directory
being NFS mounted, but I can cd to other nfs mounted directories and
it runs fine.

And the kicker:

[ccunning@chad ccunning]$ pwd
/home/ccunning
[ccunning@chad ccunning]$ sudo java -version
java version "1.4.2_04"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_04-135)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-36, mixed mode)

So it just doesn't like non root in my home directory...

I will send cookies to anyone who can figure this out.

I'm on Mac OS X 10.3 btw and it used to work fine until it didn't
anymore a few weeks ago...