!@#!# JAVA_HOME

Chris Moore

Aug 10, 2004, 11:26:58 AM8/10/04
I've installed Tomcat and attempted to set JAVA_HOME. I've read
various ways of doing it and tried every one. I've set it in the local
.bash_profile, .bashrc, root's .bash_profile, .bashrc, in /etc/profile
and created symbolic links like they were bread crumbs. When I run
which java it comes back with /usr/bin and I created a symbolic link
there to /usr/local/java/j2sdk1.4.2_05/bin ( I've also set the
profile,etc,up to go to just j2sdk1.4.2_05 but with no success --
setting it to bin made more sense). However, if I enter cd java from
/usr/bin, I go to the correct directory.

1 root root 29 Aug 10 09:26 j2sdk1.4.2_05 ->
/usr/local/java/j2sdk1.4.2_05
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Aug 10 10:24 java ->
/usr/local/java/j2sdk1.4.2_05/bin

echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/local/java/j2sdk1.4.2_05/bin

./startup.sh
The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
This environment variable is needed to run this program
NB: JAVA_HOME should point to a JDK not a JRE

RedHat Linux 9

Thanks in Advance,
Chris