applet shows in Mozilla, not in IE

Shadow_7

Aug 4, 2004, 10:59:21 PM8/4/04
I was having a problem, with an old applet I did. I had actually
developed it on a win32 system. But recently compiled it using java from
a linux platform. When I did this I could view the applet fine in linux
with mozilla, but couldn't in IE under windows.

A few conversations with some people and it seems I need to -target 1.1 on
javac to get IE to be able to view the applets as well. Since javac seems
to default to 1.2. Other solutions presented were to re-install the
Microsoft JVM or the Sun JRE.

I just though I'd mention it here. I'm not quite sure if it's an anti
microsoft or anti-sun issue that's making these things not compatible
these days. But it's really annoying to have something that you know
works based on an established track record, just suddenly stop working
because you wanted a fresh compile to ensure you were taking advantage of
any recent improvements in the genre.

javac -target 1.1 source.java

Seems to make my applet work in IE and Mozilla. Without the -target it
defaults to 1.2 and doesn't work in a default IE configuration. Yet
another reason to dump the swiss cheese browser.

Shadow_7