slf4j update

e.d.pro...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2022, 5:37:58 PM12/12/22
Usually if you update a maven dependency version, you just change the number and fix any code that gets errors.
Today I learned there's a new version of slf4j, if you update it doesn't give any errors, it just doesn't work. You have to change a corresponding dependency, on artifact name not just version number.
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.logging.log4j/log4j-slf4j2-impl

Andreas Leitgeb

Dec 13, 2022, 5:28:08 AM12/13/22
Thanks for the heads-up, but please elaborate a bit more...

- what is the visible symptom of "it just doesn't work" ?
(so others could recognize the symptoms)

- which previous artifact name needs to be changed to the given one?
(so others could scan their deps for the old name)

e.d.pro...@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2022, 7:07:02 AM12/13/22
On Tuesday, December 13, 2022 at 5:28:08 AM UTC-5, Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
> - what is the visible symptom of "it just doesn't work" ?
> (so others could recognize the symptoms)

Using slf4j-api 2.0.2 or newer with log4j-slf4j-impl was printing stuff to eclipse console, nothing wrote to the log files. It doesn't make the connection, fails silently.

> - which previous artifact name needs to be changed to the given one?
> (so others could scan their deps for the old name)
The old slf4j-api 1.x goes with a log4j-slf4j-impl.
The new slf4j-api has to have log4j-slf4j2-impl.