Oracle Java

Arne Vajhøj

Mar 25, 2022, 8:55:13 AM3/25/22
If somebody are using Oracle Java and have not read the license
conditions, then now may be a good time.

https://www.theregister.com/2022/03/22/oracle_starts_to_include_java/

Arne

Knute Johnson

Mar 26, 2022, 10:02:40 PM3/26/22
Hey Arne always nice to see you post.

17 has a new licensing scheme. I tried to read it but it was probably a
good thing that I didn't go to law school because I was lost after about
the second paragraph.

I've been using OpenJDK for all my commercial customers as of late.
Haven't had any problems with it except for the bug I found in the Linux
version that bugzilla tested with Windows and said my test code was no
good. The bug is still there in 18 but bugzilla just ignores it.

knute...

Arne Vajhøj

Mar 27, 2022, 1:04:00 PM3/27/22
On 3/26/2022 10:02 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
> On 3/25/22 07:54, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> If somebody are using Oracle Java and have not read the license
>> conditions, then now may be a good time.
>>
>> https://www.theregister.com/2022/03/22/oracle_starts_to_include_java/

> 17 has a new licensing scheme.  I tried to read it but it was probably a
> good thing that I didn't go to law school because I was lost after about
> the second paragraph.

The general industry interpretation of the Oracle NFTC license is that
it allows for all usage including commercial production usage, but
that updates stops 1 years after the release of next LTS version.

> I've been using OpenJDK for all my commercial customers as of late.

More and more are switching to OpenJDK.

Simpler license wise. And free even with true long term support.

Arne

Ralf Schneider

Mar 27, 2022, 5:01:42 PM3/27/22
Am Sat, 26 Mar 2022 21:02:26 -0500 schrieb Knute Johnson:

> On 3/25/22 07:54, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>
> I've been using OpenJDK for all my commercial customers as of late.
> Haven't had any problems with it except for the bug I found in the Linux

Thanks a lot for your message. It makes me calm.

Regards
Ralf

e.d.pro...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2022, 7:14:53 AM3/28/22
I'm not clear what's changing here. All I knew was Oracle offered Java free up to Java 8 update 202, and anything later is included if you're paying for an Oracle Java product (OAM?). I believe my business has the Oracle license and gets their Java (11) updates from Oracle. I previously worked at a small business which didn't have an Oracle based Java product and switched to getting updates from adoptopenjdk,com.

Arne Vajhøj

Mar 28, 2022, 8:41:00 AM3/28/22
On 3/28/2022 7:14 AM, e.d.pro...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, March 25, 2022 at 8:55:13 AM UTC-4, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> If somebody are using Oracle Java and have not read the license
>> conditions, then now may be a good time.
>>
>> https://www.theregister.com/2022/03/22/oracle_starts_to_include_java/

> I'm not clear what's changing here. All I knew was Oracle offered
> Java free up to Java 8 update 202, and anything later is included if
> you're paying for an Oracle Java product (OAM?). I believe my
> business has the Oracle license and gets their Java (11) updates from
> Oracle. I previously worked at a small business which didn't have an
> Oracle based Java product and switched to getting updates from
> adoptopenjdk,com.
Oracle has changed the license for Oracle Java a few time:

-8 (really -10) : free version available (BCL license), patches
available for some years
11 (really 11-16) : no free version available (people was instructed to
take OpenJDK)
17- : free version available (NFTC license), patches available until 1
year after next LTS

What is new is that per The Register now Oracle license audit teams
now has started checking compliance for Java.

In most ways the safe choice is OpenJDK - there are plenty of builds
to choose from as most major IT companies today does their own
OpenJDK builds.

No license worry (GPL with classpath exception). Good long
term support - backed by many companies including IBM/Redhat.

Really the same code as Oracle Java (I believe Oracle Java has
a few extra tools and that there is a different implementation
in some graphics stuff - nothing that should impact users).

Arne