How to listen and send/receive on the same transport

mike

Feb 28, 2023, 5:44:06 AM2/28/23

I need some help with an issue I am working on or like bounce ideas.
We have a java client that sends message and listens for
notifications and sends heartbeats. The notifications listen has been on a separate transport.

Now there is idea to use only one transport (TLS/SSH are the supported ones) to do the same thing. That is:

1. Listen for notifications ( asynchronous).
2. send synchronous messages (when our API is used) and receive reply.
3. send heartbeats at regular intervals to make sure we have an open session ( this is like 2 be it is sent automatically form our client).

Is it possible to listen for notification messages and at the same time send and receive messages/heartbeats on the same transport?

I think I will loose notifications if I start sending messages and waiting for their response.

Any ideas how this can be accomplished in java?

br,

//mike