Error during running .exe file of Fortran code

nik@cabana

Jan 26, 2021, 1:24:44 PM1/26/21
Hello Everyone,

I have very long Fortran code which is compiling fine in Visual Studio. However, when I try to run .exe file of the code, I am getting following error:
"This trial version program is expired. Please contact the developer to obtain an updated version"

Can anybody tell me why am I getting this error? Background: I got code from someone else.

Thank you in advance,

Nik

baf

Jan 26, 2021, 2:19:28 PM1/26/21
The error message says it all. The trial license for commercial
compiler you are using has expired. Pay up!

Steve Lionel

Jan 26, 2021, 3:32:52 PM1/26/21
This message is almost certainly coming from the application, not the
compiler. It might be that it uses a library that requires a run-time
license.

--
Steve Lionel
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG5 (Fortran) Convenor

gah4

Jan 26, 2021, 3:53:29 PM1/26/21
On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 10:24:44 AM UTC-8, nik@cabana wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have very long Fortran code which is compiling fine in Visual Studio. However, when I try to run .exe file of the code, I am getting following error:
> "This trial version program is expired. Please contact the developer to obtain an updated version"

A favorite way to figure out error messages is to google the exact message.

In this case, it gets no hits. It seems that no-one else has had this before.

There is another possibility not indicated, which is that the program itself is printing the message.
Since you compiled it without looking at it, I suggest you look at it!
Some ability to search for strings, like the grep program, would be useful.

There is a Win32 version of grep in the unxutils package from sourceforge.

baf

Jan 26, 2021, 3:58:56 PM1/26/21
On 1/26/2021 12:32 PM, Steve Lionel wrote:
> On 1/26/2021 2:19 PM, baf wrote:
>> On 1/26/2021 10:24 AM, nik@cabana wrote:
>>> Hello Everyone,
>>>
>>> I have very long Fortran code which is compiling fine in Visual
>>> Studio. However, when I try to run .exe file of the code, I am
>>> getting following error:
>>> "This trial version program is expired. Please contact the developer
>>> to obtain an updated version"
>>>
>>> Can anybody tell me why am I getting this error? Background: I got
>>> code from someone else.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance,
>>>
>>> Nik
>>>

>> The error message says it all.  The trial license for commercial
>> compiler you are using has expired.  Pay up!
>
> This message is almost certainly coming from the application, not the
> compiler. It might be that it uses a library that requires a run-time
> license.

What I am suggesting is that the compiler is embedding text like that
into executable when the license expired.

gah4

Jan 26, 2021, 4:08:24 PM1/26/21
On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 12:58:56 PM UTC-8, baf wrote:

(snip)
> What I am suggesting is that the compiler is embedding text like that
> into executable when the license expired.

I do remember trial versions of compilers that would always embed such a
message into programs. That didn't have much effect for personal use,
but discouraged selling products compiled that way.

There were also, though I don't remember so recently, compilers
that required one to buy a library license for each sold copy
of the compiled program. I am not sure now how it would
verify that, though.